Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 12:23:42 PM EDT
This is going to be my first 1911.  Having done some research and handled several 1911's in all of the stores within a 2-hour drive of me I have come to the conclusion that I want a Springfield.  Now, the question is...should I get a Mil-Spec or a Loaded?  It is going to be several weeks before I can afford either gun at this point...a few more before I could grab the Loaded.  So, I have decided to plumb the depths of knowledge here.  Which do you folks think I should get?  Again, this will be my first 1911 and at this point I'm not looking to do a lot of customization.  My biggest concern with the Mil-Spec is the sights.  I want to get some night-sights for it...but I think that would require some cutting of the slide.  Am I correct?  Thanks all!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
One word............COLT!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the loaded. Night sights are going to cost the difference to buy and install anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is going to be my first 1911.  Having done some research and handled several 1911's in all of the stores within a 2-hour drive of me I have come to the conclusion that I want a Springfield.  Now, the question is...should I get a Mil-Spec or a Loaded?  It is going to be several weeks before I can afford either gun at this point...a few more before I could grab the Loaded.  So, I have decided to plumb the depths of knowledge here.  Which do you folks think I should get?  Again, this will be my first 1911 and at this point I'm not looking to do a lot of customization.  My biggest concern with the Mil-Spec is the sights.  I want to get some night-sights for it...but I think that would require some cutting of the slide.  Am I correct?  Thanks all!

I'd vote for the Mil-Spec as the best value, but if you have your heart set on night sights, you should opt for the Loaded.
There are night sights available to fit the G.I. dovetail, but the options are limited. The front sight would have to be replaced as well, and if you went for the post sight with a night sight vial, that should be installed by a pro as it's pretty easy to break the tritum vile, A dovetailed front sight would even be more expensive. You'd have as much invested in a night sight equipped Mil-Spec as you would in a loaded, so equipped, and still not have all of the Loaded upgrades.  

I personally believe night sights are over-rated for non-professional use, as they are not particularly hi-viz in normal or near daylight, in comparison to white dot, or other non-glowing slight configurations.  Personally, any shooting I do in very low-light circumstances will be with a flashlight in
one hand and a pistol in the other. Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like the loaded setup, go for it. If you are going to tweak things much at all, start with the mil-spec or GI.

Sights are the major difference, followed by the grip safety. Personally I'm not concerned with the grip safety but like the skeletonized hammer so I did some work on the stock grip safety and put in a Wilson hammer as part of my overall tuneup. However, if you can find them both at good prices, a loaded will be cheaper by the time you change sights and any other part. I don't like the sights on the GI or Mil-spec at all. Too small for my taste. I might or might not put night sights on it, but I will be changing them to something. I started with a GI stainless, but if there'd been a stainless full sized loaded model available at a good price I'd have gone with that instead. I owned a parkerized loaded as my first 1911 and it was quite nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Loaded........................good shit.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a loaded.  Then have the action polished, the grips stippled, frame and parts hard chromed, slide done with black ionbond, some fancy Ahrend grip panels, and you have this for less that a fortune:

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm another +1 for the Loaded.

With your 1st 1911 you will most likely feel the need to change something on the Mil-spec eventually, and if you are already planning on dropping $100 for night sights and installation then just get the Loaded.  You'll be that much closer to having what you will probably end up wanting in the end.

+1 for the Stainless loaded...but a parkerized version would be fine too if you want a black pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a loaded.  Then have the action polished, the grips stippled, frame and parts hard chromed, slide done with black ionbond, some fancy Ahrend grip panels, and you have this for less that a fortune:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo266/alschrec/IMG_2264.jpg

I'm not one for 2-tone guns...but you did it right!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Another loaded vote.  Parkerized IMHO.

Just try to get the loaded with the NM prefix serial number.  Better fitting, one piece barrel.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
First 1911 - get the loaded.  More bang for the buck, so to speak.  I don't have one myself so this is not biased towards something I have.

I DO have the Mil-Spec and I love it.  It's my second 1911, though.  My first was (is) a Kimber Compact CDP.  It's a pre-Series II, and so long as I change out the recoil spring every 800 rounds or so, it's 100% reliable.  I wanted something smaller than full-sized when I bought it in '00 and I don't regret it at all.  I've put probaby 5K to 6K through it in the last 9 years and it's had MAYBE 15 failures of various kinds in that time frame. Having said that, I love my Mil-Spec.   It's what a 1911 is supposed to be.  But I'd never have come to appreciate the Mil-Spec so much if I hadn't had the Kimber first.  Hence, my advice to get the Loaded.  (Kinda backwards logic I think, but I stand by it.)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with the Mil-spec, mine runs great. I do want night sights on it, though. I've thought about sending it to Springfield to have it done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything you do later costs way more than if you bought it with it on it already.
Night sights, beavertail, better trigger, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd vote for the Mil-Spec as the best value, but if you have your heart set on night sights, you should opt for the Loaded.
There are night sights available to fit the G.I. dovetail, but the options are limited. The front sight would have to be replaced as well, and if you went for the post sight with a night sight vial, that should be installed by a pro as it's pretty easy to break the tritum vile, A dovetailed front sight would even be more expensive. You'd have as much invested in a night sight equipped Mil-Spec as you would in a loaded, so equipped, and still not have all of the Loaded upgrades.  

I personally believe night sights are over-rated for non-professional use, as they are not particularly hi-viz in normal or near daylight, in comparison to white dot, or other non-glowing slight configurations.  Personally, any shooting I do in very low-light circumstances will be with a flashlight in
one hand and a pistol in the other. Just an opinion.

I like everything said here with exception to the tritium sights being overrated for non professional use. If I am carrying for my families best interest, then that is a necessity to me.
I have 7 different carry pistols, and only one of them do not have tritium sights. It is a pocket pistol with a minimalist sight on it used for up close and personal when I can't carry something larger for whatever reason. In low light situations, the glowing dot is definitely easier to pick up than anything short of  a gold dot. Contrary to what many others think, night sights are not for total darkness, for that you need a good light for identification of target.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the Loaded.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the loaded is more fun to shoot.  The beavertail makes a huge difference.  

My loaded model is also accurate enough that I have used it for bullseye matches.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
My first was the mil spec but when i get back to the states I am going with an Operator I believe. I want a 1911 as trustworthy as my M4.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My first was the mil spec but when i get back to the states I am going with an Operator I believe. I want a 1911 as trustworthy as my M4.

your mil-spec wasnt trustworthy?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
i bought a Loaded last week because i wanted a SS 1911 and the Milspec was out of stock.  its not bad and looks good.  but my first impression was that the pt1911 i sold to buy the Springer had a better feel and was easier to shoot (of course i dont think the taurus would last as long and SA's CS is better.  plus, could just be the breakin period).

then i busted out the new Colt 1918 blackie and it was all over.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#19]
loaded...unless you want a base gun for a smith to work on
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a loaded. See my post titled "curse you all you cost me a lot of money today" from about a week ago. I HIGHLY recommend it.

GR
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been shooting the GI 1911 A1 since I was about 12 years old, I started with Dad's bring home from the Navy and then carried one of my own in Vietnam (Army) along with a 30 Cal Carbine and later an M14, I was there early in the show.  I have always operated on the KISS principal, the simpler the better and also easier to fix and to sight in.  I remember comming back in from the feild with a 1911 that was put together with parts from two others in the field.  You may just one day wish that you had that capability.  I have been shooting the Mil Spec's off and on for close to 51 of my 63 years, and I hope to for at least another 20 years.  I understand that the Army is looking at going back to the 45 ACP 230 Grain bullet, it seems like the Bad guys wobble but the don't fall down when hit with that 9MM pussy bullet.

That and to quote my dad who was a life long shooter, "Any thing other than 45ACP is for folks who squat to pee"

ANGMSG
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, what I really want right now is a Loaded Stainless with night sights.  Unfortunately all I can find are the "target sights" models, even in the stores that seem to carry all the variations of the Springfield 1911s. This of course does not mean they have even these in stock,..  Does anybody know if they sell them with night sights?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, what I really want right now is a Loaded Stainless with night sights.  Unfortunately all I can find are the "target sights" models, even in the stores that seem to carry all the variations of the Springfield 1911s. This of course does not mean they have even these in stock,..  Does anybody know if they sell them with night sights?

Don't think they do.  The Model PX9151LP is a stainless Loaded with combat sights, but the sights are white dot and not tritium.  There's a two-tone model (stanless slide, black frame) with night sights.
This outfit SGC has them laid out side-by-side on their website so you can compare features of the various models.  The stainless TRP has combat night sights, but it's another $500 or so.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
If you can afford it just get the loaded, the beaver tail and sights are worth it.
I love mine, later I got the GI Mil-spec and it's a good beater gun, and something fun to work on.
the loaded was well worth the difference in price, the barrel is better also, my mil-spec has a two piece that's welded, the loaded has a one piece...

The loaded is a great value IMO, and make sure you get night sights
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top