Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 7:49:11 PM EDT
I turn 21 in June.

The first handgun that I purchase is going to be a 1911, but I don't know which one to get and I'm willing to spend, at most, $900.

Can I get your opinions on brands and why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Kudos for choosing the 1911 platform for your first pistol.  It's going to be a memorable experience, it being your first and all.  Obviously, you have good tastes.  With that said, your first one should be brand spankin' new and for around 900, you should be able to pick up a Springfield Armory, Kimber, ParaOrdnance, Taurus, etc.  Can't really go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers these days.  I just like the comfort of a production pistol that's backed with a warranty and good customer service.  Now you need to find out if you want a full length barrel, a commander sized, officer size, full length guide rod, bull barrel, caliber, sights, if you want one with a beavertail, ambidextrous safety, one with or without a light rail, stainless or blued................................................................................................
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
definitely in 45 ACP and full size and I would prefer night sights

But I really don't know anything else about the 1911 platform, except what I'm trying to read about and from the few that I've handled.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good experience with my full-sized, blued, Springfield Armory Loaded.  Just make sure to put the same amount of effort into firearm safety, but that's a whole different thread altogether.  I recommended buying new in my previous post, just because it's your first one, but there are some nice used ones floating around sometimes right around your price range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've had good experience with my full-sized, blued, Springfield Armory Loaded.

This. Springfield makes an awesome gun. I have two 'loaded' models. One is a micro-compact and the other is a full size.  Oh yeah, good choice for deciding on the 1911.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kudos for choosing the 1911 platform for your first pistol.  It's going to be a memorable experience, it being your first and all.  Obviously, you have good tastes.  With that said, your first one should be brand spankin' new and for around 900, you should be able to pick up a Springfield Armory, Kimber, ParaOrdnance, Taurus, etc.  Can't really go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers these days.  I just like the comfort of a production pistol that's backed with a warranty and good customer service.  Now you need to find out if you want a full length barrel, a commander sized, officer size, full length guide rod, bull barrel, caliber, sights, if you want one with a beavertail, ambidextrous safety, one with or without a light rail, stainless or blued................................................................................................

+1 listen to this guy...good advice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I've owned  Rock Island, Para Ordnance, Kimber, and Smith & Wesson, which are all in that price range, and all 5" guns, and right now I daily carry a Springfield Champion, which is a 4" gun. I eventually decided that the 4" or Commander length is better balanced and a little easier to carry for me. Now I'm in complete lust over my Springer, and it's always by my side. Of course, this is just my opinion. Your experience may vary.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I turn 21 in June.

The first handgun that I purchase is going to be a 1911, but I don't know which one to get and I'm willing to spend, at most, $900.

Can I get your opinions on brands and why?

Thanks

You bring a tear to my eye young man, when I turned 21 I did the same thing....my choice at the time was a Springer GI just because it was what I carried in the service at that time,I did however make some mods to it, as proscribed by Col Cooper, sights i could see, a trigger I could manage and a de-horning along with a lowered ejection port....since you want night sights, and your budget is close might I suggest an Operator.....welcome to the 1911 brotherhood.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had 900$ to spend on a 1911 it would be for sure a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander, comletely amazing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember my first "went out and bought it all by myself" pistol at 21. A Colt Stainless Government Enhanced.

Just do some research and pick it yourself(Springfield) and remember gun rags never say anything negative about advertisers and 98% +/- of internet postings have a bias or agenda.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My first handgun was a 1911 as well: a Springfield GI. It's still in it's original configuration, but that's because I've been working on finishing my AR before moving to the next project.

As a first pistol, it may have been more prudent to get a Glock/M&P/XD and spend the rest on mags and ammo, but I shoot a 1911 the best, and it's a platform that I have a great amount of interest in.

A 1911 is supposedly an "aficionado's" pistol, partly because of it's history, partly due to it's wide availability of aftermarket parts, and partly due to some sense of mystique that's grown up around it. In my opinion however, what it boils down to is that you should pay a little bit closer attention to your 1911 (compared to say, a Glock) and learn its ins and outs; meaning, be sure to keep track of the amount of rounds down range, and have some kind of maintenance schedule. Also, feed it with good mags, learn how to clean it right, inspect for wear, and so on, so forth.

With that said, I think a first 1911 (and I'm biased, yes) should be a pretty basic model. If I had my way, there would be a budget-priced, mil-spec 1911-A1 on original tooling, on high quality steel, with no MIM parts or new internal safeties, on the market, but unfortunately there really isn't one (save for a Norinco.) With a basic model though, you realize what you need and don't need; on the GI, for example, my priorities are sights and a beaver tail (web of my hand bleeds from a really high grip. It's not hammer bite, per sae, but the sharp, low angle of the grip safety.) Then trigger, reliability package, and new internals.

The real answer, I think is to analyze what you are using the pistol for, and then go out and see if you can try out as many on your list as possible. These guys have made the list for you already: Springfield Loaded, Mil-Spec, Colt series-70, etc.

Also, when you get one, suppress the urge to modify every little bit on the gun and just shoot the crap out of it first. The best use of money is good training and practice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had both a Springer Loaded and Kimber, currently have a Kimber Pro TLE RL II.  Love it.  Dont get too wrapped up in what everybody tells you.  I agree with who ever said go shoot several different brands and pick the one you like the best.  A 1911 is the only handgun I will own anymore.  Only mods I did was put a Wilson EZ magwell on it and a Wilson recoil buffer in it.  Get it done brother and make sure to post pics when you get it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
For $900 I'd be looking hard at Springfield's offerings, particularly the Loaded or MilSpec models.  Drop the rest on mags & ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not an expert by any means. Most of what I've learned about 1911's, is from lurking in this forum. These guys have lots of good info.

The only down-side I see to buying a 1911 as a first pistol is, you'll never be satisfied with the trigger pull of any other pistol you buy after that.

Enjoy,
a-bare
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Best handgun ever, nothing compares.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I originally got a barebones USGI type 1911. The hammer spur cut man hand to hell. I still have the scars to show it. So, when you get one, get it with a commander or skeleton hammer, and a high beavertail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top