Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2009 11:24:29 AM EDT
just picked this up at the show in Pasadena Saturday:

It's not new, but its new to me. Ive been looking at them for a while but I just didnt want to pay retail price for it.
Hoping that this one proves to be reliable enough to be my everyday (all-day) CCW.
Of all the defenders Ive looked at, I've never seen one with these grips on it.
I wanted to take them off but they wont budge. Its like they are glued to the frame. Is this the case?
Ive got new wolff springs on the way. Cant seem to find mags in stock anywhere, but will get them when I find em.
Can anybody tell me anymore info on this little fella?
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I would imagine the grips are add ons. Every Defender I've seen including the one I had sports Hogue wrap arounds. I pulled mine off and put slim line grips on. My Defender never missed a shot no matter what I fed it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is identical except with CMC slim grips and a King-Tappan rear sight. Also, mine is VERY reliable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
another question I have is : How do you go about replacing the front sight?
It is not dovetailed in, and I cant figure out how to remove the damn thing.
Still cant get the grips off either...
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.jocoemprise.com/pistols/colt.html

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The grips may be tight fitting, but I doubt they are glued on. Remove the screws and put a finger or two inside the magwell and push each panel off the frame. I shipped my S.A. loaded to Novak and had them replace the staked front sight with a dovetail and dovetail front sight. A very good investment, as they were dead on when I got it back and sighted it in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, so 150 rounds later with no issues at all. Not a single FTF (feed or fire) or FTE's.
I think this may just be "the one".
One more question...Is it OK to put +P ammo through it?

ETA grammar
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OK, so 150 rounds later with no issues at all. Not a single FTF (feed or fire) or FTE's.
I think this may just be "the one".
One more question...Is it OK to put +P ammo through it?

ETA grammar

I'm not an expert, but from what I remember reading in the last discussion about +P ammo, it was advised not to use it.  I believe this was partly due to the possibility of the aluminum frame not standing up to the extra pressures too well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I would not put +P through it. Aluminum frames won't take the pressure long. I sent my slide to Trijivon and had night sights installed. Took about 2 weeks. The Trijicons are easier to see during daylight that a lot of others.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot standard pressure. You CAN shoot +P but you are placing more stress in the pistol. Be careful on the mags you use [the coated followers are best] and replace the recoil springs at regular intervals. Wolff Springs has a set out now for the Defender. [Just bought one as a replacement]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
+p is a solution looking for a problem.

Use the Short Barrel Gold Dots and you will be just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top