Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:56:33 PM EDT
I just broke down my two week old Springer Loaded SS and went over it good.  I've put about 40 rounds through it without incident a few days ago.  Once I got it good and 'apart', I decided that I wanted to polish it up a bit.  BY HAND, I used Eagle One Never-Dull and some Mothers brand mag polish.  I gently and quickly went over the rails, barrel throat, feed ramp and the external of the barrel.  On most parts other than the ramp feed, I was getting a little black residue on the cloth which seems to let me know I was polishing.  I took great care not to round off edges, affect the way it fit together (slide/frame) and took my time.  In the end, the exterior of the barrel was almost glass smooth as were most other places.  Before I put it back together, I used the old faithful Slip2000 and a silicone cloth to ensure proper preservation.

To all you 1911 guys out there, did I do too much/anything wrong?  The action (slide) seems a tad bit easier now and I feel like I did it more good than harm.  I could be dead wrong.  

(Yes, I know I probably should have asked first).  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
tag for answers - i have the same as you px9151lp
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like you did a great job to me.  seriously.  the pistol originally was designed with looser tolerances then a lot of manufacturers ship their pistols now to allow for dirt and debris.  i doubt you did any harm to your pistol.  take it to the range and shoot it.  if the groups run about the same as they did you did not harm it.  if you did harm it you would notice that by a change in group size.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
looser tolerances  can make a tighter gun or make a rattle trap, all depends on the stack up.

clearances are are different from tolerances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top