Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 6:05:40 AM EDT
Ive looked over the forum, and not entirely sure what the "idiot scratch" is.  Seeing as i just bought my first 1911, id like to know what it is so i can maybe not do it?

thanks
Teaky
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The scratch you can make when you're putting the slide lock back.

It usually looks like a this  )
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't see it so well in this photo, but where the scratch near the trigger is, extending upwards to the slide stop, is the traditional "idiot scratch".

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
This pic was in another thread.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ive looked over the forum, and not entirely sure what the "idiot scratch" is.  Seeing as i just bought my first 1911, id like to know what it is so i can maybe not do it?

thanks
Teaky

take your time putting everything back together.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]

sweet jeebus !...you really gotta try hard to do that......
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
i have been putting together 1911 for a few years, i feel very confident doing it, i am always carefull and had never put an idiot scratch on a gun...

then for his birthday my brother got a new used 1911...no idiot scratch, i was showing him how to put it together, i told him about the idiot scratch and to be very carfull, just after that i slipped and the bolt catch slipped all the way up over the slide so i put a huge semi circle idiot mark over his SLIDE...i felt like an ass...luckily my brother is cool and did not shoot me...but i felt like an idiot...so i have only caused the idiot scratch once, but it was a doozy for sure
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
How does someone manage to get a scratch in the finger relief? I understand a small scratch (less than 1/4") just under the slide stop, but those ?!?!?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i have been putting together 1911 for a few years, i feel very confident doing it, i am always carefull and had never put an idiot scratch on a gun...

then for his birthday my brother got a new used 1911...no idiot scratch, i was showing him how to put it together, i told him about the idiot scratch and to be very carfull, just after that i slipped and the bolt catch slipped all the way up over the slide so i put a huge semi circle idiot mark over his SLIDE...i felt like an ass...luckily my brother is cool and did not shoot me...but i felt like an idiot...so i have only caused the idiot scratch once, but it was a doozy for sure

I'm with ya... I done it myself.. Always ever so careful. It will never happen to me... Then Shawhammy!!!!!!!!!!!!   There it was.. I threw the pistol to the floor in disbelief  and hollard out " Who done this to my PISTOL !!!!!!   There wasn't nothing but silence.. I was home alone..... I had a few beers to ease to pain.... She's my scared whore now.... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Aptly named.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top