Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 5:01:52 PM EDT
Some say you never have to worry about an integral coming lose, while others say if there's any damage to your integral you're stuck. I'm in the process of ordering a Caspian frame for a build, and need to make a decision. I'd like some input from those who have real experience with both types, and any issues that you may have had with them. In all the years I've carried/used 1911-style guns I've never had a staked tube come loose, but I've also never started with a bare frame. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Integral.

If you have a problem with it you could always machine it down and place holes for a staked one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an integral tube on my Nighthawk and a staked tube on my Springfield.  The tube on my Springfield came loose once during cleaning.  A trip to Springfield and it hasn't had an issue since.

I'd say go with the integral tube.  If it gets damaged (somehow in a way that everything else is fine), you can always machine it off and stake on a tube.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're really worried about it, why not integral?

I figure anything bad enough to crunch an integral plunger tube would pretty much crush the frame too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say just get a standard frame and stake the plunger tube on properly.  It won't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're really worried about it, why not integral?

I figure anything bad enough to crunch an integral plunger tube would pretty much crush the frame too.

I'm not "worried" about it. Just thought I would look at the options, pro and con, since I'm starting with a bare frame.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with integral if it's an option, but staked is fine if done right as others have said.  I wouldn't worry about damaging an integral plunger tube, though I'm curious if anyone has heard of that happening, and how it happened.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Larry Vickers, noted 1911 pistolsmith and firearms instructor, has stated that one of the weak points of the 1911 design is the plunger tube.  Go with the integral plunger tube.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
And the Caspian integral plunger tube frame is the same one Vickers spec'ed for the Nighthawk pistol that bore his name. Caspian was Nighthawk's OEM.

If you can get it done, why not?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I am totally with WiseguyThreeOne on this one.  I have three Caspians and on one of them, I deeply regret not getting the integral as the staked is now loose.  

I also agree with his prior analysis - if it's going to wreck your tube, that hit is also going to wreck your slide, or at least slide/frame fit.  Whoever came up with that rationale - "in case it's damged" just hasn't banged around 1911's very long, or has an unrealistic opinion about how "exposed" a plunger tube is.  It is protected behind the left grip panel first of all, for gosh sakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top