Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2009 4:16:40 AM EDT
I have a bunch of 45acp cmc power 10 mag and they work great.  However, I am noticing some marks on the feed ramp (ss frame, full sized).  From my searching, this, I have found it is the follower that is doing it when the last round is loaded?  Also, I guess the power 10 + mag fixed this problem?  

So, since I already have a bunch of power 10 mags, what is the suggested/recommended "magpul" follower of the 1911 world?  

I have a couple of other mags I can swap out followers on to make some franken mags for testing, but I figured I would just ask the guys that know first.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Tripp Research sells rebuild kits for 1911 mags that include a new spring and follower. I have used them and they would resolve your issue but I am not familiar with your specific mags. You might want to look there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The cmc power 10 mag have an anti-tilt follower.  My factory 8rd mags (kimber) have what I would call self leveling followers (in ar15 terms, think green follower vs magpul).  

If you take your slide of your 1911 and insert a mag with 1rd and remove that round you will see what the follower does as the last round leaves.  

On my factory mags, the follower is self leveling and just hangs out doing its thing when the last cartridge leaves the mag.  

In my cmc power 10 mags, the front of the follower nose dives forward (as the casing is rubbing past the follower pulling it forward) and the follower nose dives into the frame of my 1911 just below the feed ramp and leaves a mark.  

This is the cmc follower http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=427891.  

The follower is pictured upside down with the bullet facing right.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If anyone has a cmc power 10 + mag and wouldn't mind taking it apart and posting a picture of the follower, that might be helpful.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Tripp Research sells rebuild kits for 1911 mags that include a new spring and follower. I have used them and they would resolve your issue but I am not familiar with your specific mags. You might want to look there.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked at their followers http://www.trippresearch.com/CVS/products/1911/1911.html# (they have frames, so you have to click "follower" on the left)

They have a steel and a hybrid follower.  Will these actually work/fit in a cmc power 10?  Any chance that anyone has tried it yet?

Note: they also have "upgrade" kits with the hybrid follower and a spring and it seems that the cap is than 9 for a 10rd mag?  What?
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
So I talked to a guy at trip research and ordered a bunch of springs and followers.  (Three days to my door, pretty good.)  

I have been playing with getting them in.  The first one I put together went ok.  It is much harder to load than the cmc power 10, doesn't like going into the mag well fully load as well as the cmc power 10, but a little better than factory 8rd mags (slide closed).  

The second mag I put togther gave me a lot of grief.  On my first try, once fully assembled, I managed to launch the follower out of the mag (aka, "jump" out).  I don't think this will happen under normal operation.  Got it back togther again and and it would only take 7 rounds.  Pulled apart and tried again, 6rd only.  I then decided I was missing something, cause the first one worked.  I tapped the spring around to better seat it and I got 10 in again.  It ended up the same as the other mag.  Harder to load 10rd than cmc power 10, seated in the mag well about the same.  (Are springs really picky about how they are seated?  My factory mags don't come apart... maybe with good reason.)  

Now, it was "play" time.  I tried the new followers with the SS cmc power 10 springs.  This didn't work.  The cmc springs are a little more fat and I think the front/back of the follower skirts hit the cmc spring.  This blocked me out to 9 rounds only (otherwise good).  I also noticed that the "flex" follower is the same as the factory 8rd mag's followers.  

Lastly, I am really wondering about the cmc power 10 plus mags now.  If someone has one, could they post a picture of the spring and follower?  

No range report... at least not yet.  (I did test with snap caps when fully loaded and that worked ok.)  

Picture time:  
Followers (cmc power ten on top)

Springs (cmc power 10 on the bottom, left side meets follower and hooks in)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Incase anyone finds this thread and is looking for a follow up, I made it to the range today.  Like I said above, I converted two CMC power 10s to the new springs/followers.  1 mag was known good.  The other had a little trouble feeding the last round (for me at least... maybe a little limp wristing on my part).  It looked like a loose follower.  

Anyway, both mags loaded up to 10rd feed mostly flawlessly.  I had exactly one failure to feed (I think after the first or second shot, so mostly loaded still) and with a little tapping it feed.  This was out of about 160rds fired.  

I am happy.  

P.S. if anyone has that pic of a cmc power 10 plus follower, I would still like to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top