Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2008 4:36:47 AM EDT
I've whittled it down to these 2 but am having a hard time deciding as I have never owned a 1911, one of these 2 will be for CCW purposes. I'm left handed so an ambi safety is a must, something I see the DW does not have. I don't want this to turn into a brand war but if you have experience with either or both, please assist me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
DW

Kimber has the Swartz safety. Also, IIRC the CDP is a 4" bull which is a great design in the hands of semi custom outfits, and a bigger liability than the 4.25" and 5" with production companies. In addition, you will have to buy your recoil springs (which require replacing every 1,500 rounds) from an internet vendor, because the damned stores think the world only uses 5" and 4.25" springs whereas the <4.25" crowd carries them but never shoots them . I also like the understated presentation of the DW classic and do not like the two-tone soap bar pimpedness of the Kimber. Just get a kickass ambi and have a smith fit it for your DW.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the DW........get the newer model with the undercut triggerguard if you can. I am also left handed and had a Kimber ambi safety installed......plus some other work.....the DW is a very tight fit. I have not had any problems out of either my CBOB or PM7.

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
ABK.

Get the Dan Wesson.    A quality handgun put together by competent builders using high quality parts.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the quick responses... I don't know of any reputable smiths in my area, any suggestions abroad?
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Seeing how you are from "USA," there are quite a few local smiths
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I should have clarified... I didn't mean local inferring you knew what state I lived, perhaps you know of a smith I could send it to that you have used previously or heard good things about.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the DW........get the newer model with the undercut triggerguard if you can. I am also left handed and had a Kimber ambi safety installed......plus some other work.....the DW is a very tight fit. I have not had any problems out of either my CBOB or PM7.

http://content.glidesociety.com/image.aspx?id=5ee5a029-f143-4cd8-9cfa-601bee97ef71

That's nice.... does it shoot well left handed?
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest the Kimber.  I have a Pro CDP and carry it occasionally.  It is the older "series I" model without the Swartz safety but I wouldn't let that bother me.  The system is easily disabled anyway.

Mine has been 100% reliable and it's easy to care for.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Decisions decisions...... I have been hearing mixed reviews on the Kimber, more good than bad, but can't find much on the DW. Is it because the Kimber brand is more predominant than the DW?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
For the most part, yes. without any numbers at my fingertips, Kimber likely is/has been the number 2 seller of 1911s, maybe even the number 1.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably because DW does less volume than Kimber there is less info around. But I have seen very little, if any, negative talk about DW products or customer service.  I dont think the same (true or not) can be said for Kimber.  For that reason I went with DW.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
And you are pleased I'm assuming? Was it the CBOB that you went with?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Objectively speaking the DW is a better quality gun, with better parts.  
The Kimber has an alloy frame, and makes a much better carry piece though.

Unfortunately, DW (CZ-USA) has no plans to offer the CBOB with an alloy frame. (I've asked).  A CBOB with an alloy frame and the dark finish from the Valor would be my ideal carry piece.

So, to me, for a carry piece, the only way to justify the extra weight of the CBOB is if you are going to go with the 10mm version.

As for the Swartz parts in the Kimber, the vast majority of folks have no problem with them. (like everything mechanical they can fail though).  If you don't like them, you can always take the parts out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://content.glidesociety.com/image.aspx?id=5ee5a029-f143-4cd8-9cfa-601bee97ef71

That's nice.... does it shoot well left handed?

Like a dream.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top