Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 4:23:53 PM EDT

I brought this home from a guy from work as a favor to him to clean it up a little.  He bought it at a yard sale for next to nothing and is thinking of selling it to me.  
I took the gun apart and other than the condition of the bore (looks pitted but, it seems to smoothen out the more I scrub.  I stopped scrubbing and will continue to do so later), it looks like it was fired little.

I did some research and all the parts are original.

Give me some opinions.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
according to this thread on another forum where a similar question was asked:

Remington Rand made 1,086,624 A1's from 1943 to 1945. All were parkerized.

Blue Book value (in original condition) is:

98% - $1,300
95% - $1,000
90% - $800
80% - $700
70% - $600

Sweet find! I'm jealous.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a 1945 dated RR, probably 2.2 to 2.4 million serial number based on the two tone. [was pretty common]

$700.00, mostly due to the rust, MAYBE another 50 bucks on top of that if I was feeling really generous that day. I'd probably really offer $600 to begin with tho.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
For it to be "correct" the slide must match the frame as well; mismatched finishes were rejected by the inspectors.  Also, I can't see the markings on the slide very well, not enough to tell what type of RR slide (1, 2, or 3) is on the gun. But, just judging on the mismatched finishes, I'd say it looks like a pistol someone "restored" by throwing an RR slide on it. It also depends on barrel markings, etc...

It's not a "collector" piece, but it'd probably make a good blaster. $600? $700, maybe on the outside?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Please bring that thing back to life.  It looks awful.  

{Removed} - SGB
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For it to be "correct" the slide must match the frame as well; mismatched finishes were rejected by the inspectors.  Also, I can't see the markings on the slide very well, not enough to tell what type of RR slide (1, 2, or 3) is on the gun. But, just judging on the mismatched finishes, I'd say it looks like a pistol someone "restored" by throwing an RR slide on it. It also depends on barrel markings, etc...

It's not a "collector" piece, but it'd probably make a good blaster. $600? $700, maybe on the outside?

Actually, in 1945, RR had a number of mismatched colored 1911A1s. They are typically called "Two Toned" but they DID come out of the factory as such. They were usually near the end of RRs run as as I said earlier in the thread, they tended to be within a certain serial number range.

One of THE premier USGI collectors has verified this as factual and these two tones show up on occasion. While I did NOT see the serial number on the OPs pistol, if it falls toward the end of the run then it's very possible it is original. If it does not fall near the end then I agree with you that is probably a mismatched frame and slide.

I have a VERY clean 1945 RR within the serial numbers I listed and there is NOTHING that suggests it was ever refinished or a put together as the markings are 100% correct right down to the crossed cannon ord mark that was struck after the finish. It is in as close to 100% condition as you will ever find. I spent several HOURS inspecting it before I purchased it verifying it's correctness and I could find nothing out of sorts.

I won't name the gentleman I consulted because I don't believe it would be proper without his permission but I will say he e mailed me a picture of one of his that is exactly the same color scheme and it was within the set of serial numbers I mentioned before also. All I can guess is they cut short the RR 1911A1 run [as they did do] and assembled the remaining one's that happened to not match. Most within that SN# range seem to be in quite good condition so I am doubtful that they ever made it out to any field duty and were stored until possible sold off by the DCM. That might also explain many of them remaining in VG shape all these years.

If I was going to scam refinish 1911A1s, it certainly would not be the most common make as my return for my work would be far less then one that was more rare and therefore much more valuable. It's really only been in the past 5 or 10 that prices have really exploded on the more typical USGI makes as far as 1911s are concerned, before that, it was usually the scarcer years or the exceptional condition firearms that were scammed.

The OPs has little actual wear but the ravages of time and moisture without proper protection has done finish damage that really knocks down it's price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In my area it would be worth $900-1000 if %100 correct Rem , even with the rust.

Do not refinish it ! A $200 repark job would make it worth $600-700.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Made him a $300 offer and he agreed.   It is my lucky day I suppose.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice buy!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow!  I need to find some sales like that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
$300!!! Do you know how much we hate you?

Ok, on a more serious note, you need to completely disassemble it, and thoroughly clean and lubricate it properly.  Odds are the surface rust is not the only rust on her.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Made him a $300 offer and he agreed.   It is my lucky day I suppose.  

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/RemingtonRand1911037.jpg

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/effinNewGuy/RemingtonRand1911034.jpg

$300? I FUCKING HATE YOU.

Nice find man.  How is the bore?  ETA get some meta polish called Flitz in a paste form put it on a cloth rag and it will do an awesome job on cleaning it up and wont hurt the remaining finish.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You scored.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]
A piece of American Military history right there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top