Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2008 2:51:37 PM EDT
The guide rod is fulling tightend down and the slide still seems to wobble left to right. Only wobbles when hammer is back. I'm new to 1911's is this normal? I dont remember this happening before my first shoot.

thanks,
Dave

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My colt xse does the same thing. I dont plan on doing anything unless I see that it is needed. I'm just going to keep on shooting until it stops.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just loose tolerances.

My Loaded slide has a bit of movement - but I'd rather that than too tight.

As long as the barrel is locking up decent - ignore it and shoot the heck out of it.

(It is possible to tighten the fit, but that would be up to you if you want a smith to do it.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
the looser , the more reliable , the expensive semi-custom guns will also loosen up after several thousand rounds and a lot of carry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The slide to frame tightness is far less important then the BBL to slide lockup. The repeatability of the slide/BBL lockup determines it's accuracy to a great extent.

And yeah, everyone want the rails as tight as humanly possible when the truth is, 99.9% of then can't even shoot to the accuracy of the gun in the first place. [me included]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
A-men on all that brother, including my shooting also. At 25 yards my groups look like they were shot with a 12 gauge shotgun using buckshot !
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
ive only put 100 rounds through it and it already feels a little wobblely
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My Colt Series 80 rattles like you wouldn't believe, but it always goes bang and will shoot inside 3" all day long with nothing more than a recrowned factory barrel and a match bushing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the looser , the more reliable , the expensive semi-custom guns will also loosen up after several thousand rounds and a lot of carry.

But they will never be as loose as the stock Springer.

Tighter is better.

Accu-Rail is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
So is knowing age-old, MUCH cheaper ways of snugging the slide to the frame.

We don't even know how much the OP's wobbles.
The question is so rudimentary and ignores the slack taken up by a loaded magazine.
The hammer has nothing to do with fit - it is simply putting pressure on the slide to
lower the perceived movement that is there no matter what.

He did not mention shot grouping problems or weapon malfunctions.
It is simply a loose gun that probably works fine and will for a long time.

I wouldn't want a shooting gun to be so tight it cruds up quickly and is
basically trying to scrape the lube off the parts with every shot.

*just my HO...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Squeezing/peening equals molestation. Squeezers/peeners are 1911 molesters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd prefer a re-weld, but whatever you say...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So is knowing age-old, MUCH cheaper ways of snugging the slide to the frame.

We don't even know how much the OP's wobbles.
The question is so rudimentary and ignores the slack taken up by a loaded magazine.
The hammer has nothing to do with fit - it is simply putting pressure on the slide to
lower the perceived movement that is there no matter what.

This was the first thing I thought, too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd never Accu-Rail  a pistol, Not even an open gun.  Something goes wrong say slide crack after a metric tone of rounds down range you just can't put another slideon the gun it all has to be sent out again to maybe 1 or 2 gunsmiths that do the work. Now you have to wait for your job to get done.

To me the cost of Accu-Rail  far exceeds any benfit.

The slop in the op pistol is normal for a production run pistol. Dollars to doughnuts I'll bet it is tighter than than the stock colt I bought new. That pistol had to built on machines that were way past prime.

No custom built pistol will ever loosen up to the rattle that can be found on some production pistols, well not in the org purchaser's lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The guide rod is fulling tightend down and the slide still seems to wobble left to right. Only wobbles when hammer is back. I'm new to 1911's is this normal? I dont remember this happening before my first shoot.

thanks,
Dave

What brand is it? my charles daley does the same thing, but i treat it rough and shoot it, thats what i bought it for
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Only wobbles when hammer is back...

thanks,
Dave

All my guns are tighter with hammer down. If it shoots well be glad you
have a 'perfectly loose' pistol.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd never Accu-Rail  a pistol, Not even an open gun.  Something goes wrong say slide crack after a metric tone of rounds down range you just can't put another slideon the gun

Accurail machining does not increase the possibility of cracking.

Squeezing/peening increases the possibility of cracking.

Accurail actually reduces the stress on the slide and frame by spreading the load on the rails throughout their entire length vs. concentrating it in a small area as is the case with a loose gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top