Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 3:01:57 PM EDT
Took apart and cleaned my PT1911 for the first time today, and when the slide is locked to the rear, the barrel has a little bit of wiggle to it. I can't remember if it was like that before or not. Does anyone else's wiggle around with the slide locked back?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Normal, remember the BBL locks into the lugs and upon recoil unlocks and tilts slightly downward at the chamber end, it should be somewhat "wiggly" and affects nothing. If their were NO play, the BBL would probably jam to the rear and lock up the gun. You can cut down on the wiggliness by installing a TIGHT BBL bushing but even then it will have some play and you run the risk of binding if too tight.

Correct lockup is only when the firearm is assembled and the BBL is mated into the corresponding slide cuts. Very slight or no play is desired once locked up tho I've seen some somewhat sloppy lockups shoot well due to the BBL returning to the same position even tho loose. To loose tho and you begin to batter the pistol.

1.Reliability
2. Accuracy

Always in that order.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot. I watched about 50 assembly videos on youtube and thought I had it together correctly, but the wiggly barrel threw me off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm wondering the same thing. With the slide locked back, the barrel on my Les Baer TRS can be slid forward & back just a slight bit. No side to side wiggle just an ever so slight in & out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
All 1911s are that way.  With the slide locked back, out of battery, the barrel is in the UNLOCKED position.

Actually, ALL locked-breech type autopistols exhibit this.  Perfectly normal.

Now if it were to "jingle-jangle" with the slide forward, in battery, well......that would be a different story.......
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All 1911s are that way.  With the slide locked back, out of battery, the barrel is in the UNLOCKED position.

Actually, ALL locked-breech type autopistols exhibit this.  Perfectly normal.

Now if it were to "jingle-jangle" with the slide forward, in battery, well......that would be a different story.......

+1  Yeah, that's the important part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top