Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:08:06 AM EDT
Has anyone seen this before or have one. I saw it at a show yesterday and thought about picking it up.

Colt Government 38 Super "Day of the Dead"

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone seen this before or have one. I saw it at a show yesterday and thought about picking it up.

i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/adamandkdwatson/Talo_DDLM.jpg

First thing I would do to that 1911 is have it refinished
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
It's for the Mexican trade. 38 Supers are popular there due to restrictions on "military" ammo pistols.

Colt "DIA DE LOS MUERTOS" The Day Of The Dead special edition Talo Exclusive (02991DOD) 38 super, full size governent, 5" barrel, high polished blue, slide has been silver etched with traditional Mexican folk art designs and symbols along with the Rampant Colt, silver plated barrel bushing and hammer, polished barrel, pearlite grips with Colt medallions and silver hex screws, includes 2 magazines, Colt Custom Shop box, and insert, circa 2008 mfg
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
to fancy for me
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/adamandkdwatson/Talo_DDLM.jpg

Replace them grips and I would actually like it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
i like it
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll make a fine Mexican pimp with that stuffed in your pants.

I actually like it, but would never buy one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
While clearly well executed, it's so NOT my taste. I'd pass myself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!

I love it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd feel differently about it if they hadn't just plopped the decorated slide onto a plain matte frame.

Even if they had just polished the frame it would look a thousand percent better.

I'd pick one up if it were cheap enough, but no way I'd pay a premium for it.  As for collectibility, God alone knows.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd feel differently about it if they hadn't just plopped the decorated slide onto a plain matte frame.

+1

I have learned the hard way that these commemoratives do not go up in value and are hard to sell. But they do make excellent shooters!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have learned the hard way that these commemoratives do not go up in value and are hard to sell. But they do make excellent shooters!

I'd shoot it and then keep it as a wall hanger. I really like the design on the slide. First time I've ever seen a Mexican 1911 that caught my attention.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Usted hará a un chulo mexicano fino con eso relleno en sus pantalones.

When discussing Mexican pimps it must be in Spanish.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chulo is Pimp in Spanish?  (is it pronounced Shoo-lo?)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chulo is Pimp in Spanish?  (is it pronounced Shoo-lo?)

Ltr / Pronounced/ Example

ch / che / nacho

choo-lo

Here's one for you.  Been awhile since I spoke any spanish but I think this is correct.

¡Ésa es la pistola del chulo de la guerra!

Which should be, "That's the pistol of the War Pimp!"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If they put a Zombie on the slide instead of a skeleton and called it Dawn of the Dead, they wouldn't be able to produce enough to keep up with the ARFCOM demand.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
while i think its a nice looking gun, guns are meant to be shot not sit on a wall or in a case and look pretty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Even if they had just polished the frame it would look a thousand percent better.

We have a winner

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Its just the bushing that sends it over the top.I love the mentality of this version. Not my idea of a replacement for my matte series 80 commander, but it is really cool in my view. Spices things up a bit dont it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#20]
One up for sale on GB.  You can see the frame is polished on this gun, though it still doesn't seem to match the slide.

gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104833565

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
the starting price on that was more than I saw it at the show for. somone must have really wanted it. I like it, but wouldn't have paid that for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top