Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:44:52 PM EDT
I know these are always tough questions, though I'm asking anyway. I don't need an appraisal as I'm NOT selling it, though I would like to know roughly how much it is worth.

I have a new-to-me Colt 1911. It is US Property marked, and its serial number is in the 520xxx range (1918-1919 mfr. date range).

It appears to be in nice shape with most of its original finish and little wear. Only the left side grip panel has the diamonds, the right panel is fully checkered. Other than that, it looks all original.

I know - pics or it didn't happen. I'm working on 'em.

Thanks!
HBruns

ETA:
Here are some pics:

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
No one here has an opinion?

Wow - that's a first!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
looks like you have a reworked or mix-master 1911.  From what I can see on the slide, it has WWII sights.   It could also be a field service rep slide or just a mix up.

Look on your frame for some small stampings like AA.  These are arsenal rebuild marks.  

this day and age, it is still worth prop 800 to 1k.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Look on your frame for some small stampings like AA. These are arsenal rebuild marks.
No small stamps like those.
What markings there are look original - all production roll marks and not hand stampings.
- there is a small mark on the left side behind the trigger, above the mag release.
- The rampant colt mark on the rear of the slide, left side, behind the serrations. (not visible in image).
- Two lines of US Patent marks on the left side of the slide. 1902 and one other date. No rampant colt here.
- US Gov't Property and SN on the right side of the frame. No typical rebuild marks there.

I just found this site that describes slide & frame markings. Are there others that have good info?

this day and age, it is still worth prop 800 to 1k.
Thanks!

Sorry for the crappy images. My cell phone camera is the best I have right now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
It's worth nothing.... just send it to me and I'll give you $50.

If it's even a mix master but is still 100% Government Mix Master it would still fetch a pretty penny because of it's history.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If the horse is on the rear of the slide, it may be the correct slide. Someone may have just filed out a better sight picture.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's worth nothing.... just send it to me and I'll give you $50.

If it's even a mix master but is still 100% Government Mix Master it would still fetch a pretty penny because of it's history.
No much chance of that. It has been in my family for a few years and I'm not interested in selling it.

As I recall, it was my uncle's sidearm in the service. He was a Marine during WW-II. I'll have to talk to my dad (a WW-II Navy vet) and see if I can nail down some more history about it.

ETA:
Rampant Colt mark is like this:

Left side markings on slide are similar to this, WITHOUT the rampant colt:

The inspecor's mark is like this with an "S6":

There is a very small number "3" on the left side of the trigger guard just in front of the mag release (marked pre-finish).

There is a very small "H" on the rear of the slide, just over the firing pin (marked pre-finish).

The rear sight has not been filed or otherwise buggered. It does look like a 1911-A1 sight.

The only marks on the right side are "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" and the serial number, similar to this (without the AA rebuild marks, or any other marks):

Taking the slide off, I can see three small marks on the frame:
- what looks like a "3" or an "8" on top of the right rail near the feed ramp.
- what could be a "G" centered on top in the rear, just in front of the hammer.
- what could be a very small "c" or "u" on top just to the rear of the mag well.

It looks like it has a Colt WW-II barrel, like this:

There are few other marks.
Other than the barrel, rear sight, and right grip panel, it looks like a correct Model 1911 that has not been rebuilt, and it has almost all of its original finish. The left grip panel is a 15-row Colt panel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a colt commercial that is 915xx and it's 1917 ,are the military models that far off in ser#'s?Nice gun by the way,and my grips are damn nigh worn smooth.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top