Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 7:24:58 AM EDT
does anyone carry a full size 1911 as a carry gun? does that even matter? i know the grip is what normally "prints", but does that extra inch of barrel have an effect on concealment?i plan to open carry as much as possible, but i realize open carry isn't appropriate in many situations. so sound off like ya got a pair and tell me your opinionschris
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a full size nearly daily.  

On rare occasion, I notice the barrel hit the seat before my butt, but it's normally one of those hard, kitchen type chairs and still not really a bother
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to a Commander instead of a 5".
For me, that 3/4" makes a difference when sitting while wearing a holster be it IWB or OWB.

You have to get what fits you.
If someone has a big ass or high waist then maybe they won't notice the 5" setup pushing up on them (and printing) when they sit.  My ass ain't that big so I notice it.  

As for the full size grip printing, that's all a matter of body type, holster type and clothing.
About the only good thing about gaining weight has been that pistols carried properly right behind my hip bone don't print when I bend over.
Thin grips don't hurt either.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry one daily.

I am a larger guy

6"1' 215
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For me, that 3/4" makes a difference when sitting while wearing a holster be it IWB or OWB.

If someone has a big ass or high waist then maybe they won't notice the 5" setup pushing up on them (and printing) when they sit.  My ass ain't that big so I notice it.  

As for the full size grip printing, that's all a matter of body type, holster type and clothing.
About the only good thing about gaining weight has been that pistols carried properly right behind my hip bone don't print when I bend over.

I have a bubble butt, and carry a 1911 IWB every once in a while. It doesn't bother me and is very concealable, esp. with thin grips.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

QFT

Lots of people here carry 5" 1911s, but I'm not one of them. Your body, style of dress, style of carry and climate all influence how a certain 1911 conceals and carries on you. I have found that the sweet spot for me is the 4" compact, or the 4.25" commander, depending on dress. Concealment is not a major issue between the platforms for me, but carry is. After having been spoiled with 1911s that fit my body exactly, I find the 5" rather unwieldy in an IWB holster. I cannot stand having the muzzle bang into the seat before my ass does, and I find that 9 o'clock carry (lefty here... that would be 3 o'clock for righties) hobbles my leg as if I shoplifted a salami and stuffed it down my pant leg.

1911s have thier own "print" and properties. Some people feel awkward with one because of the weight. The weight suits me fine and is natural to me. I suppose the same would be true of the properties of a 5" if I just stuck to one and carried it (I do remember a time where I Mexican carried a Para P-14 in my younger, dumber days). Having found the right fit though, the difference is now noticable and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you get a 5" and good leather, you should acclimate to the properties of the 5", but if you try different platforms, you may find one or the other makes for the best, most comfortable fit. Whether that fit is 5" 4.25", etc., I suggest you find that sweet spot and get a quality weapon that corresponds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm 5'4", 165Lbs...I'm a little guy.  I carry a 5" in a versa max II at about 4 o'clock.  A good belt and holster make or break IWB.  One day I might get a commander sized gun, but for now good ol govt. works for me.  I normally carry in t-shirt and jeans.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Have carried one everyday for the last 15 years. As others have stated, attire and body size/type will depend on how well it work for you. I'm 6'1" and weigh 240, so pretty much anything goes for me. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried one for about 20 years.  Bought a Commander and carried that for 6 months or so then went back to my full size.  There wasn't a problem with the Commander, I just liked my real gun better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude, If your ass is as big as mine you can hide a friggin howitzer under a t-shirt and no one will notice..... that bein said, yes I do quite often carry a 5" with light rail.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
does anyone carry a full size 1911 as a carry gun?

Nope, in 97 years, no one has attempted to carry a 1911, let alone successfully concealed it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a full size 1911.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm 5'8" 159LBS and I carry a colt gov IWB everyday
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a 4" Commander 1911. I don't see what an extra 1" is going to change much...except add a little weight.  My 1911 is HEAVY...I can't imagine adding more weight to it.  

I use a MTAC IWB holser and C-TAC gun belt.....works great and is VERY comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Every day.

Kramer #3 horsehide @ 9:00.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry a full size Kimber everyday.  IWB blade tech at about 3:00.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I did for years.  24-7.  Not a problem.

Sometimes still do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I carry either one of these regularly:

IN the winter, sometimes, I carry these:

I carry the 1911 in the Galco...but the Detective Special usually goes in the upper, inside breast pocket of my jacket.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, carry one everyday I am not offshore. Colt XSE in a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I carry a full size, lightweight commander and a 4" with officer frame.

I ALWAYS wind up going back to the fullsize unless in only a tshirt, then the officer frame conceals easier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I carry one everyday, IWB.  The right holster is essential for comfort and concealability.  The best one I have ever found is the UCR from Threat Solutions.  Unbelieveable holster.

www.threatsolutions.com/IWBindex.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I split time between my CZ75 Compact and my 5" Series 70 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a 5" every day.  Just get good leather with some forward cant and the barrel length is a non issue as it's angled.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#25]
tried both; 5" works for me
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
6ft 4in tall and 215 pounds, Gov't. sized RIA and a Para Ord P14 both conceal nicely for me with a Galco Summer Comfort IWB.

The RIA disappears nicely under just a T-shirt, the Para Ord with wider grip frame is slightly more bulky and I have to give some attention to either wearing a looser T-shirt or an untucked collared shirt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
6ft 4in tall and 215 pounds, Gov't. sized RIA and a Para Ord P14 both conceal nicely for me with a Galco Summer Comfort IWB.

The RIA disappears nicely under just a T-shirt, the Para Ord with wider grip frame is slightly more bulky and I have to give some attention to either wearing a looser T-shirt or an untucked collared shirt.

I forgot to add, get a good stiff gun belt.  You can easily conceal a 5" 1911 all day long under a T-shirt as long as you've got a belt that can hold it in tight to your side.  It prints badly if you let it sag out away from your body.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I forgot to add, get a good stiff gun belt.  You can easily conceal a 5" 1911 all day long under a T-shirt as long as you've got a belt that can hold it in tight to your side.  It prints badly if you let it sag out away from your body.

Agreed, I have used a Bianchi gun belt for years as my standard belt and it is definitely up to the task for holding a holster and larged framed guns in tightly.   Originally wore 6 1/2 inch barreled N-frame S&Ws with no problem on a Bianchi B9 belt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry a Les Baer TRS in a TT Gunleather IWB and it's one of the most comfortable setups I have ever used.  It is heavy but as long as you use a good belt it's a non issue.  I had second thoughts about getting the TT since it a copy of the Milt Sparks VMII but it's a great holster and the quality in top notch.  I just ordered a second one for my Colt Defender but I passed on the sharkskin trim this time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
5'11"; 210lbs here.

I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry for years comfortably.  Recently switched to a Warrior in a CompTac Infidel with London Bridge Rigger's belt.  I am still acclimating to the weight and size differential b/c it does feel substantial.  At least to me.  The larger gun does print more, and does bang/rub chairs more frequently, but not enough to impede me carrying it.

Additionally, while I could get away with carrying the aluminum UC sans belt in a clip-on holster, that is a no go with the steel warrior.  So, despite what some will tell you, there are some trade offs to carrying the all steel 1911.  However, I'm happy with the switch simply b/c I have more confidence in the full sized version, train (and trained) with it more frequently, and just shot it more accurately.

That all being said, the ONLY way for you to find out one way or the other is to get yourself a full size 1911, some good carry gear, i.e. holster and belt, and carry it yourself.  Then you will be able to intelligently see what works for YOU.

Good luck.

Fred

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top