Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2008 9:03:12 AM EDT
are these junk?  solid platform?   looking at there mil spec   looking for something to build on saw they were noticeable cheaper than springfield  looking to spend 4 to 5 hundred out the door then send it to a smith to do some work eventually   i just thought if the rock island is sturdy enough i could start there and afford some work right off the bat.  dont really wanna go taurus but it seems like the best bang for the buck.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to build on it, get a Springfield.

ranburr
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
People tend to love their Rock Islands.  Their customer service is phenomenal too.  The guys at m1911.org tend to love theirs.  The GI versions are pretty nice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a really big following over at M1911.org. Factory reps post frequently and their service seems to be among the best in the industry. I have a bone stock .38 Super Rock in bright nickle and it's been flawless. RIA really offers a lot of variety, compacts, longslides, "Tacticals", etc. A lot of owners post pics of their modified guns too, so I'd check them out. Those guys an answer just about any question you have. The first guns tended to be a little rough, but with customer input those issues seem to have been resolved.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OK so I am a huge Rock Island fan.  I've got one that I worked over and would almost put it up against any pistol out there.  You really have to shoot this gun to understand why I say that.  Given the difference in price between what I've got in it and my better pistols, it's very close.  

At that same time, as a platform to send somewhere and have work done on it, at a minimum go with a Springfield.  I personally would advise you find a nice used Colt.

Why?

Well it's simple really.

If you put $800 worth of work into a $400 RIA - People will still see it as a $400 RIA.  I don't care who you get to work on it.

If you do the same to a Taurus it's still a $500 pistol.  That's what it will be seen as.

You will have either a $1200 or $1300 pistol that you can't convince anyone is worth even half of that.

On the other hand put $800 worth of work into a $500 Springfield, as long as there's a good smith behind it, you can get most or all of your money back if you want to.  (Takes time and appreciation but you can)

Put that same money into a Colt and it's that much easier with about $150 difference in a used Colt vs. a new Springer.

Neither is a bad route to go.

If on the other hand you want a pistol for you to learn smithing on, RIA is a great choice.

Mine has few original parts in it and as I've said it's a great shooting pistol that if you shot without looking at the name, you'd never believe it was a Rock.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Right on! I love mine. Did some work to it and love the way it shoots!
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a GI 5", a Compact almost paid off, and after holding the Mid-Size model today, I may get one of those.

There are rumors about them coming out with a 9mm model sometime this year, which if true will probably sell like hotcakes. They are solid pistols and in my experience very reliable, only issue I have had is with a used mag (EMC) I picked up really cheap...doesn't lock the slide back all the time. All my other Colt and Novak 8rnd mags work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
wow never thought they would have such a good following.  RRA that is.   I'm not sold on names,  of course i like to buy American goods,  but gotta do what i gotta do.  i dont like to get rid of guns   i keep the good with the bad,  hell i even have a hi point lol  
Is there better beaver tail safety for the rock river i really like bigger tails, got bit to many times.  i have changed my grip since but i like something there more substantial.  just in case.   i am looking for something to experiment with.  it will be just a project gun.  besides a beaver tail  i just want a good trigger, de horned and maybe a fitted barrel  if its not status quo.   thats all possible with the rock river right?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
wow never thought they would have such a good following.  RRA that is.   I'm not sold on names,  of course i like to buy American goods,  but gotta do what i gotta do.  i dont like to get rid of guns   i keep the good with the bad,  hell i even have a hi point lol  
Is there better beaver tail safety for the rock river i really like bigger tails, got bit to many times.  i have changed my grip since but i like something there more substantial.  just in case.   i am looking for something to experiment with.  it will be just a project gun.  besides a beaver tail  i just want a good trigger, de horned and maybe a fitted barrel  if its not status quo.   thats all possible with the rock river right?  

Huh?
RRA or RIA?
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Rock River will build it in any configuration you like, and most of their models come with a beavertail safety. Of course they're also $1,500+ US made pistols.

Rock Island, on the other hand, makes the Tactical model that comes from the factory with a beavertail (as well as an extended ambi safety and Novak-type sights). More info here. My dealer sells them for $411.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Great gun for the price.  I bougt a GI model because I carried a .45 in my younger days in the military.  The RIA is a well built gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
RIA RRA damn sorry had a WV moment i should have stuck with ohio    ya rock island i guess i should have been blond
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]

dont they have a web site  or a other wv moment?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Their main distributor is Advanced Tactical Firearms.  www.advancedtactical.com/index.html

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#14]
is there anywhere that sells the whole gun it seems like that atfa is only a parts place  but then again i didn't call noone carry s them around me  is gunbroker the only way i could get one shipped to my ffl  
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
is there anywhere that sells the whole gun it seems like that atfa is only a parts place  but then again i didn't call noone carry s them around me  is gunbroker the only way i could get one shipped to my ffl  

Sporting Arms. Good people, they'll ship to your dealer. Find the RIAs listed under "Armscor" in their drop down menu.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]
search
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#17]
You could also try Centerfire Systems.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Armscor must be the name and rock island is just to make it sound American.  i see now thanks for all your help.   looks like on there web site they have it in 9 mm all ready has any one seen one i guess there is a dealer in pa maybe its worth a call.  i figure since its not American might as well make it a 9 mm  
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#19]
If you wanna understand the history of it...

Corrigedor Info

Rock Island makes perfect sense and after all the Filipinos have good reason to know their 1911's many a soldier of the Rising Sun's last view was of a John Browning special with a staunch Filipino guerilla behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Corrigedor Info

Rock Island makes perfect sense and after all the Filipinos have good reason to know their 1911's many a soldier of the Rising Sun's last view was of a John Browning special with a staunch Filipino guerilla behind the trigger.

I think the Rock Island Armory brand name for Armscor's marketing of their pistols in the US is not affiliated with the Battle of Corrigedor. It's a play of the old US Army "Rock Island Arsenal," not unlike Springfield Armory Inc's use of the old Gov't Armory's name.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]
thats what i was thinking to    when i searched it came up the arsenal.     either way it seems like they make the 1911 with most bang for your buck.
it seems like spring field is screwing everyone i dont see how its better made than the rock island and its still not made here in the states right?  i heard that and figured this much   it is just put assembled here just like rock island.   feel free for anyone to correct me.  i'm trying to talk my self out of the ria but  common sense wont let me.  all besides resale value that is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
thats what i was thinking to    when i searched it came up the arsenal.     either way it seems like they make the 1911 with most bang for your buck.
it seems like spring field is screwing everyone i dont see how its better made than the rock island and its still not made here in the states right?  i heard that and figured this much   it is just put assembled here just like rock island.   feel free for anyone to correct me.  i'm trying to talk my self out of the ria but  common sense wont let me.  all besides resale value that is.

Springfield isn't necessarily screwing anyone. In the case of their GI model, it's an Imbel pistol completely manufactured in Brazil. The most notable difference between the two is the Springfield's use of a forged frame and slide, as opposed to the cast frame utilized by the Rock Island.

The Rock Island isn't put together here, they're completely manufactured at the Armscor facility in the Philippines. To clear things up, Armscor is a firearms manufacturer in the Philippines that markets their pistols in the US under the RIA name. In addition to the RIA brand, they've also produced pistols for High Standard and Charles Daly that were sold under those names. They also make the STI Spartan, although those pistols are built on a special line with some STI components.

From what you've said of your needs and intentions (range gun and tinker piece), the RIA will be fine. They've developed a fantastic reputation for customer support in the event that there is an issue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corrigedor Info

I think the Rock Island Armory brand name for Armscor's marketing of their pistols in the US is not affiliated with the Battle of Corrigedor. It's a play of the old US Army "Rock Island Arsenal," not unlike Springfield Armory Inc's use of the old Gov't Armory's name.

Well you are correct.  It's a duality see.  That's the beauty of it.  Corrigedor is the Rock Island, given the old Rock Island Arsenal play as well as the Corregidor conenction, it's nearly perfect.

Link Posted: 6/29/2008 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought the Gi model about 3 months ago for carry, and man I love it! I have put about 300+ rds through it since and have not had the slightest problem. The weapon however has a tendancy of giving me some serious hammer bite regardless if I shoot it Left or Right handed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Just ordered me a compact tactical to try out from Bellshire hardware.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a RIA GI, Tactical & a 38 Super. I also have a High Standard GI. All of these Armscore pistols work great!
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Just picked up my second RIA yesterday; a Compact model. Took it home and cleaned/inspected it, and headed to the prairie to feed a quick meal of FMJ WWB. Performed great with factory 7rnd and 8rnd Novak and 8rnd Colt mags, had an issue with a cheap used mag that also gives my GI problems. So that one mag will be a range only mag.

I like them, and would suggest them to someone who wants a reliable, no-frills 1911.

Link Posted: 7/1/2008 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I bought the Gi model about 3 months ago for carry, and man I love it! I have put about 300+ rds through it since and have not had the slightest problem. The weapon however has a tendancy of giving me some serious hammer bite regardless if I shoot it Left or Right handed.

I had the same issue with mine. I had my local gunsmith trim a hair off the back of the hammer that solved the problem. My RIA has run flawlessly from day one.

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Rock Island Armory compact tactical model.  Cool little piece for the price I paid, and the purposes I bought it for.

My only complaint, and it was the same problem for all four of the compact tactical models my dealer got in, is that the front sight is too tall and/or the rear is too low - depending how you want to look at it.  I haven't fixed it yet, but figured I would just file the front sight down a little at a time, until it is shooting on target.  As is, it is shooting about 8 inches low at 10 yards.

Dan.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I have six RIAs and they are affordable and reliable.I have to say that Ivan and Ray really take care of their customers.A lot of gunsmiths in my town will not upgrade them and bash them constantly.I have not any problems with any of mine and all have run 100% out of the box.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I like to throw these up every now and again just as a little reminder that Rock Islands don't have to be the ugly stepchild of the 1911 family!

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought one for a project gun quite a while back.  As you look through it you'll find that things aren't finished as nicely as a lot of other frames or slides.  Function wise they're fine but durability wise....well only time will tell.  Really it's only $100 actual retail (if I remember correctly from when I worked the gunstore counter) to get he springfield.  With what I know now, I would buy the springfield simply for the better quality frame and slide though it won't be american made either.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]
next gun show hopefully i will be getting a Tactical 5'' model. see how expensive they are now
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Ordered an RIA Tactical Monday, should be at my FFL's in a couple hours & I can't wait to pick it up!!!

Link Posted: 7/5/2008 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#35]
The Tactical has a lot of nice features for the money.  I think you'll be pleased.  Get some good magazines (the Novak/ACT-MAG mags tend to crack) and you guys will be all set.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I stumbled onto this thread after searching for 'Rock Island'.  I made a trade some years back for a tactical.  My mil-spec (full-sized) 1911 wasn't getting much use, plus he threw in a LOT of extras (10 Wilson combat mags, beautiful holster, etc.).  I remember it as a fun shooter.

Long story short,  I lost the slide stop, put it in a box and pretty much forgot about it. I dug it out the other day and really gave it a good look.  I could shave my fave with the slide edges and the sights are half-way off.  And yeah, most of this pstole looks very mass produced.  But I love the feel, size and weight.  I wonder if it was worth putting $300-400 bucks to turn it into a good, RELIABLE CCW pistol.  

What do you guys think? I'll head over to m1911,org and see what I can dig up as well...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I stumbled onto this thread after searching for 'Rock Island'.  I made a trade some years back for a tactical.  My mil-spec (full-sized) 1911 wasn't getting much use, plus he threw in a LOT of extras (10 Wilson combat mags, beautiful holster, etc.).  I remember it as a fun shooter.

Long story short,  I lost the slide stop, put it in a box and pretty much forgot about it. I dug it out the other day and really gave it a good look.  I could shave my fave with the slide edges and the sights are half-way off.  And yeah, most of this pstole looks very mass produced.  But I love the feel, size and weight.  I wonder if it was worth putting $300-400 bucks to turn it into a good, RELIABLE CCW pistol.  

What do you guys think? I'll head over to m1911,org and see what I can dig up as well...

How'd you loose the slide stop? Put a Wilson bullet proof slide stop in it, tap the sights back over, and go shoot the hell out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top