Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 5:29:34 PM EDT
While putting my grips back on the head of a grip screw sheared off leaving the body of the screw in the bushing. The slot on the bushing cannot be used to remove it now. Any ideas on how to get it off so I can replace it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to take needle nose vise grips to one of mine to get out, the slot was boogered up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
File the screw flat, then drill a small hole in the center. Get a small head allen head wrench and some super glue. Fill the hole with the glue and insert the wrench. Wait for it to set up and then turn the screw out.
This method worked for me with a broken screw head on a Beretta that I have.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a centerpunch to give yourself  good point to start a drill without it wandering off.  Get a left-handed twist drill from McMaster-Carr or MSC Direct of the corrrect diameter to remove the screw.  Chuck it up in a reversable drill and have at it.  More than likely it will back out as soon as the drill gets a bite in the screw.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had to take needle nose vise grips to one of mine to get out, the slot was boogered up.

That's what I've done in the past as well.  Just took a second.  When you order new grip screws go ahead and get 4 news ones) order a new set of screw bushings as well, they're cheap and you'll have them on hand for next time as well.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll third the grab it with vice grips and turn the whole bushing out.

Another option is use a Dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot in the screw that lines up with the bushing slot and use a screwdriver.  Have to be careful not to score the frame with the cut wheel though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Grips scews, not lug nuts.

hand file a notch or drill the screw out.

use less "T" next time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Grips scews, not lug nuts.

hand file a notch or drill the screw out.

use less "T" next time.
I hear where your coming from but I hardly put any pressure on it t all when I was tightening it. The head of the screw just came off. They were Ed Brown screws too. They look hollow and cheaply made. Im going back to the 50 year old slot head screws that were originally on the gun when I got it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Was the grip screw that sheared a hex headed screw?  What brand?  That way the rest of us can be wary.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Another option is use a Dremel cut-off wheel to cut a slot in the screw that lines up with the bushing slot and use a screwdriver.  Have to be careful not to score the frame with the cut wheel though.

This was my first thought.  Likely need a new screw bushing though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was the grip screw that sheared a hex headed screw?  What brand?  That way the rest of us can be wary.
It was a hex screw by Ed Brown. It looked pretty cheaply made. I didnt put any pressure on it at all and the head just came off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've experienced head seperation on at least 6 different occasions. Hex head grip screws pretty much suck!
If the hex socket is deep and large enough to preclude stripping, the integrity of the head is compromised.
My favorite screws are the narrow slot ones from Kings.

Not to mention those maintain the field repair of the weapon.  With the slot screws you can strip to bare frame and slide with no tools.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have seen it twice in the shop. Both I got out using a sharp pointed tool by taping it out  in a chisel affect in the reverse or out direction. Worked both times no harm to the bushing. I did it once with a ball point pen . I rotated it out far enough then I just push my finger down on the screw and backed it out. I allways try to find the easy way out with anything before I bring out the power tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top