Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:25:48 PM EDT
Well after carrying my MC Operator for the last 4 years I'm ready to upgrade it.  Was thinking of sending it to the SA custom shop for the following:

Magwell

Tuned Trigger to 4lbs

Extended Ambi Safeties

Maybe a new MSH (I like the golf ball print someone posted from Mars)

Anything else I should get done? Or should I just safe this Operator and get the TRP Operator?  I was also looking at the Nighthawk GRP Recon.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anything else I should get done? Or should I just safe this Operator and get the TRP Operator?  

I'm guessing you like springfield. I picked up a springfield professional and I could not be happier . I see the trp operator going for around $1600 on gunbroker, for a ittle bit more you could get a nice barely used springfield professional. Check it out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking about the Pro also.  Would it be a better idea to just get the pro rather than customize my MC?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go the customization route just so I got exactly what I wanted, nothing more and nothing less.  I'm happy with the SA Custom Shop work I've had done.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm thinking about the Pro also.  Would it be a better idea to just get the pro rather than customize my MC?

Well, you are in one of those quandries we all get in. Do you have great sentimental value in your MC operator? If so, dress it up and carry it. If not, sell it, and get a Springfield Pro. The way I see it, if its good enough to pass FBI HRTs tests and be issued, its good enough for me

I've been really thinking about doing that.  My only problem is my MC has had in the neighborhood of 3K rounds and has some good holster marks.  The pistol is in great condition and is a nail driver.  I love this pistol but  would like to carry the SA Pro.

Decisions decisions

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you are in one of those quandries we all get in. Do you have great sentimental value in your MC operator? If so, dress it up and carry it. If not, sell it, and get a Springfield Pro. The way I see it, if its good enough to pass FBI HRTs tests and be issued, its good enough for me

I've been really thinking about doing that.  My only problem is my MC has had in the neighborhood of 3K rounds and has some good holster marks.  The pistol is in great condition and is a nail driver.  I love this pistol but  would like to carry the SA Pro.

Decisions decisions

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Decisions decisions

I have two Pros, a railed and a regular. They are night and day better than the TRP's. They are like the Sig P210 is to a Sig P225 or a Freedom Arms to a Ruger in terms of quality, no comparison.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A while ago I added a Mars mainspring housing with magwell to my MC operator.  It took a lot of hand fitting, but now it fits pretty good.  I also had to blend the inside flare of the magwell to match the flare that was cut into the frame of the MC operator.  It's a pretty smooth transition, but there's still a small gap between the frame and the magwell.  I also had to file the top of the housing so that it didn't interfere with the grip safety.  Plus I had to use a round file to get the hole for the housing retaining pin to line up better with the frame.

Last night I added a "Cylinder and Slide Super Match Trigger Pull Set 3-1/2lbs".  It took a bit of work.  Mainly I had to fit the thumb safety.  I looked at a couple of resources online about fitting the thumb safety, and it wasn't too hard.  I just took it slow and removed a little bit of material and test fit it.  Luckily the original safety had a lot of extra material to work with.  At first I started with a flat file, then when it was close, I stoned it.  I was careful to keep the file and stone square and cut in only one direction.  Also, I had to deburr some of the holes on the hammer and sear so that the pins would pass through easily.  Finally I had tweak the leaf spring for the grip safety.  Everything passed a function check, so it should work well.  The trigger feels fantastic.

I bought a new Cylinder and Slide hammer strut and an Ed Brown Rebuild kit.  This gave me all the parts needed to change the ILS mainspring housing and the pin for the Hammer strut.  Also, I changed out slide catch plunger because the original Springfield version was a little too long.  (Which made it difficult to replace the slide catch without using something to hold the plunger in.)

All in all, it was around $300 in parts and some of my free time.  A lot of people said it would be difficult to work on a 1911, but I didn't think it was too bad.  If you're handy, you might consider it.

Right now, Midway has a sale on the Cylinder and slide set.  It's normally $164, but they have it on sale for $130.  Currently it looks like it's out of stock, but if you backorder it, you should get the sale price.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=816731
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 1000% that's why I picked one up.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Decisions decisions

Start saving up for the Pro and keep yer trusty old work horse. In fact there is one for sale on the equipment exchange NOW. Getting rid of your MC would be like giving your kid up for adoption after the kid is 4 years old, you would be heart broken . Unless the kid was the devil himself.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have a new dilemma! There's a Nighthawk GRP Recon (With rail) for sale a couple of hours away!

I'd love to find the two together to compare.  I've always been partial to SA and in the end will probably stay with SA.  But ohhhh would I love to check out the Nighthawks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top