Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:34:49 PM EDT
Guys,

I have a series 70 1911 that I am about to ship to Novak's for a custom job. I will post the results of this little project here. I want to hear from you guys on what you think I should have done. This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration. Here are my thoughts...

1. Novak Answer. This I am 50/50 on.
2. Dehorn
3. Checkering
4. lower and flare ejection port
5. Novak solid rear, trit front
6. 10-8/vickers trigger
7. Solder on plunger
8 reliability job
9. Reblue or black-t

Gimmie your thoughts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You say it's a 70 series, what barrel does this pistol have in it? If it's stock with 2 piece construction, I'd switch that out also, any top barrel makers will do, but if it were mine, I'd put in a Kart,Bar-Sto or a Schumann..Black T might last longer than blueing, get some good magazines and have Novak tune them to your gun or vise versa for reliable feeding of your carry ammo of choice. Pick out some grips and send them with the gun to be fitted. Have them install an oversize magazine release.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guys,

I have a series 70 1911 that I am about to ship to Novak's for a custom job. I will post the results of this little project here. I want to hear from you guys on what you think I should have done. This is a carry handgun, with function being the foremost consideration. Here are my thoughts...

1. Novak Answer. This I am 50/50 on.
2. Dehorn
3. Checkering
4. lower and flare ejection port
5. Novak solid rear, trit front
6. 10-8/vickers trigger
7. Solder on plunger
8 reliability job
9. Reblue or black-t

Gimmie your thoughts.

Sorry if I'm being anal, but I don't see:
* Polish frame feed ramp, reprofile barrel ramp.
* Beavertail safety.
* Fitted solid barrel bushing.
These are pretty important in my book. I don't remember what Novak's includes in a "reliability package". I'd do them before paying for checkering. FWIW, my skateboard tape has lasted for about 8 years.

After that, I'd invest in a little more accuracy with a selected barrel link and checking the lockup of the barrel and slide. A little polishing on the underside of the slide where the hammer rides makes things a little smoother, too.

For carry, there are several things I'd pick before bluing. It won't last very long with holster wear and sweat/humidity. I'd suggest the Black-T, parkerizing, or one of the coatings from Robar.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Novak Carry / Duty Package

Reliability Package
Crown Barrel
Two Novak Magazines (8rds)
Replace All Springs
(Recoil, Firing Pin, Main, Sear, & Plunger Tube Springs)
Inspection of all Components for Serviceability
Test Fire with 50 rounds
Novak LoMount Plain Black Wide Notch Rear Sight
Novak Tritium Front Night Sight
Novak Logo Marked on Slide
N.M. Barrel Bushing
Carry Bevel Treatment
Novak Hammer Kit (Cmdr Style Hammer)
Fit Extended Beavertail Grip Safety
Fit Extended Strong Side Safety
Fit Aluminum Trigger
Bevel Magazine Well
Lower & Scallop Ejection Port
Mil-Tac Grips (No Medallions) or Ahrends Grips w/ Novak Medallions
Novak Practical Grip Screws
Refinish
Bead Blast & Blue
Bead Blast Stainless
Anodize Black or Silver Aluminum
Steel And Stainless Guns - $ 1395.00 + Shipping

This, plus some frontstrap stippling, would be what I'd do.  I'd also opt for the reblue.

Once the reblue is worn off, send it off for a real long lasting treatment such as E-Treat, Melonite, Ionbond.  I wouldn't do any half-measures such as parkerizing or Black-T.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top