Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2008 8:34:20 AM EDT
So, in my continuous quest to build a 1911, I've gotten around to fitting a new trigger to replace the one that came with my "Sarco-piece-of-crap-1911-builders-kit". Keeping with the original theme of all Wilson parts, I bought a Wilson Combat "Ultralight Match Trigger". Nice looking piece, weighs only 90 grains...Anyway, I assumed that this trigger would be a little taller than the Sarco unit, as the Sarco piece has a gap of about .080 above and .035 below the trigger when it sits in the frame. Well, the Wilson trigger is no better (well, a little better...the Sarco piece is .907 from top to bottom, the Wilson is .920)

Check it...

Needless to say, the new trigger just drops right in place, no resizing required.

My question is, are there triggers that will have a lot more height to them or are they all about the same?

I think I may go ahead and fit this one, but I was curious about what other people have done about this.

Thanks,

-Jbot

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the exact same trigger (Wilson Ultralight) in my Colt S70 repro, and it definitely wasn't too short or too narrow. It would not even drop in completely without fitting the shoe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, that goes a long way to explain some rather interesting features about this Doublestar frame. The bottom of the slide stop always overhangs the frame just a little bit on DS's, while I've not seen that on any other manufacturers frames. I guess the casting is just made that way.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to see how far out of whack that trigger guard really is according to the prints. Thanks, Walkure.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If it really eats at you...

Nowlin makes an oversize match trigger
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If it really eats at you...

Nowlin makes an oversize match trigger

Would you happen to know the height of one?

I think the problem is more in the casting. I know that the next one I build will not be a Doublestar. While I like their AR products just fine (and they are local to me), their 1911's just aren't up to par.

The drawings in the Kuhnhausen Volume 2 doesn't give measurements for the trigger guard area other than showing the shoe fill the gap. This frame certainly does not.

It doesn't really bother me, I was just wondering what others have experienced.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The drawings in the Kuhnhausen Volume 2 doesn't give measurements for the trigger guard area other than showing the shoe fill the gap. This frame certainly does not.

Blueprints/Drawings as found on the popular 1911 websites show the following:

Trigger height - 0.905"
Trigger housing height - 0.914"

I can measure my Colts later if you want me to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blueprints/Drawings as found on the popular 1911 websites show the following:

Trigger height - 0.905"
Trigger housing height - 0.914"

I can measure my Colts later if you want me to.

Nice...like I said, the shoe measures .920. The housing height? 1.025.

Well, I guess that's one of the things that can be way out of spec without really affecting the function. The actual trigger "ways" are just a hair taller than the trigger, so there's no real play in it, it just looks a little weird.

-Jbot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top