Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2008 1:34:34 PM EDT
...and it was terrible.  It belonged to a friend of my sister's boyfriend.  He had told sis's BF that it was a great gun and since he wants to buy a 1911 he wanted me to shoot it to see what I thought of it.  The first thing I noticed when I picked up the gun was the grip safety was sticking.  Loaded up the mag that came with it with PMC 230 grn ball, and it FTF EVERY round.  Thats seven FTF's in a row.  Each time the gun needed a tiny little "tap" to get the slide to go the last 1/2" into battery.  I would *tap*, BANG *ftf*, *tap* BANG *ftf* etc.  The guy claimed it was the ammo, his Blazer worked "flawlessly".  He loads up a differnt mag, puts in the the gun, racks the slide and the mag hits the ground.  Upon examining the gun, the magazine release was now engaged and stuck on, he had a heck of a time getting it released and functioning "properly" again.   I love 1911's, I've had several over the years, I've putt many rounds down range through them and even with the pickiest, most fussy among them (a Springfield Champoion), I'd never seen anything like this.  Perhaps this gun was just a lemon, but I was appalled by the apparent lack of quality control on this thing.  From my experience yesterday I can say without a doubt, that if I were heading into a gun fight I'd rather have a Bersa Thunder .380 than a Kahr 1911.

Anyone else have experience with them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Kahr=Auto Ordnance=SUCK. Yeah, someone will post saying their's is great. I'm glad they got one of the three made correctly this year then.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
What model was it?  I have their "custom" stainless full size model and it has run quite well for me so far, with a variety of ammo.  I would rate it almost average with a springfield Loaded as far as function.  The factory magazine has some sort of wierd follower and the manual says the gun is supposed to only run with standard 230 grn ball.  I've had no problems with feeding as long as I wasn't using the factory mag.  The gun also contains fire control parts for a firing pin block system that look exactly like a Colt series 80 system.

I don't use the factory mag and only use Wilson Combat 47Ds.  The gun runs like a top with these magazines.  I probably would not have bought it but, the price I paid was very competative, and well under retail.  Mine is better than a taurus at least.  If you want an inexpensive 1911 you'd probably be better suited to get a springfield or a Rock Island Armory.  You should not be buying a $500 1911 without being prepared for some potential dissapointment.   The 1911 market has dictated that you generally must spend at least $650 for a reasonably reliable, american assembled (partly) gun.

It would be great if we could get these guns at the same price/reliablity/quality of build index as CZ 75s or Glocks and made 100% in america, too but that is not just the case right now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What model was it?  I have their "custom" stainless full size model and it has run quite well for me so far, with a variety of ammo.  I would rate it almost average with a springfield Loaded as far as function.  The factory magazine has some sort of wierd follower and the manual says the gun is supposed to only run with standard 230 grn ball.  I've had no problems with feeding as long as I wasn't using the factory mag.  The gun also contains fire control parts for a firing pin block system that look exactly like a Colt series 80 system.

I don't use the factory mag and only use Wilson Combat 47Ds.  The gun runs like a top with these magazines.  I probably would not have bought it but, the price I paid was very competative, and well under retail.  Mine is better than a taurus at least.  If you want an inexpensive 1911 you'd probably be better suited to get a springfield or a Rock Island Armory.  You should not be buying a $500 1911 without being prepared for some potential dissapointment.   The 1911 market has dictated that you generally must spend at least $650 for a reasonably reliable, american assembled (partly) gun.

It would be great if we could get these guns at the same price/reliablity/quality of build index as CZ 75s or Glocks and made 100% in america, too but that is not just the case right now.

I'm not sure what model it was, it didn't have any loaded or custom features, it was basically a WW2 GI style.  Tiny sights, arched mainspring, lanyard loop.  The trigger and hammer seemed "wrong" compared to WW2 1911A1's I've seen (wrong does not mean bad...just different.)    I did notice the series 80 parts through.  The guide rod was also different than anything I've come across before.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's too bad.

I bought one last year as a beater and to shoot strictly with hardball. It is pisser in this regard. Not even a hiccup.

I will say that the gun is always lubed, is a no frills piece and is as basic as they come for $450.00, but it always shoots.

Obviously YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top