Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 12:37:50 PM EDT
The Colt model that was used in the Army trials and the pistol that the Armed forces ultimately adopted in 1911.

It can be viewed at the Connecticut Public Library right now along with a bunch of other neat Colt pistols and revolvers.  They had some very cool stuff there.

CCW holders take note that they do have a screen-in at the front with a metal detector.  I just showed them my permit and they made me unload and leave my stuff in their little safe that they have there.  I re-collected it when I left and all was good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns at a public library?  Geez... the devil must be serving ice water today...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Did you try and buy it?

Make them an offer they couldn't refuse?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh man, you didn't take a picture????  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't .  I didn't have a camera and I didn't expect to see no. 1.  To be honest with you, I wouldn't have even known what it was unless it was for the caption underneath.  It looked like any other original 1911.  It was in surprisingly good shape.  Just a bit of rust could be seen on the barrel hood, but the finish looked almost perfect which makes me think that it may have been restored at some point.  The caption didn't say anything with regards to that.

It was shoved in a display case with a bunch of other 1911s like it was no big deal .

They had a BEAUTIFUL Python there and a bunch of other nice 1911s.  Some great black-powder guns and SAAs.  As well as the rest of the revolver lineup.  If Colt ever made it, it was represented there.  They even had an old-style M16.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The Connecticut Public Library was given the fabulous Colt gun collection, including the contents of the fabled Colt Pattern Room Vault.

They have the ONLY genuine Colt .41 Magnum Pythons ever made, and other Colt experimental guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Connecticut Public Library was given the fabulous Colt gun collection, including the contents of the fabled Colt Pattern Room Vault.

They have the ONLY genuine Colt .41 Magnum Pythons ever made, and other Colt experimental guns.

Ohhhhh, man.........41 Magnum Python......

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Ohhhhh, man.........41 Magnum Python

Don't get too excited.
Colt built two or three Colt Pythons in .41 Magnum at the request of a big distributor.
Colt quickly decided the Python frame and cylinder just weren't big enough to handle the .41 Mag, and they recalled the prototypes from the distributor and never made any more.

There are "Colt" .41 Pythons out there, but they were modifications by custom gunsmiths.
The most seen version was built by a Florida?? custom gunsmith, and LOOKS exactly like a standard Python, right down to the correct font of the barrel stampings.

Problem was, as Colt suspected, the Python frame and cylinder WASN'T strong enough and the custom guns started coming apart.
Some original buyers sold their conversions and later buyers had no idea these weren't Colt factory guns.
When Colt started getting bad .41 Magnum Pythons in at the factory along with outraged letters threatening lawsuits, they tracked the custom builder down.

Reportedly, he closed up shop and disappeared, right before a posse of lawyers arrived in town looking for him.
An unanswered question is, WHY a gunsmith with that level of skills would do something he HAD to know was unsafe and wouldn't stay together.

I recently saw another conversion on the Colt forum, but this one was incredibly crude, with barrel markings that looked like a kid with an engraving tool tried to free-hand it.

To be clear, while Colt experimented with several calibers including the .22LR, .41 Magnum, and a .256 caliber single prototype, NO Colt Pythons in any caliber but .357 and .38 Special were ever actually produced OR sold.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ohhhhh, man.........41 Magnum Python

Don't get too excited.
Colt built two or three Colt Pythons in .41 Magnum at the request of a big distributor.
Colt quickly decided the Python frame and cylinder just weren't big enough to handle the .41 Mag, and they recalled the prototypes from the distributor and never made any more.

There are "Colt" .41 Pythons out there, but they were modifications by custom gunsmiths.
The most seen version was built by a Florida?? custom gunsmith, and LOOKS exactly like a standard Python, right down to the correct font of the barrel stampings.

Problem was, as Colt suspected, the Python frame and cylinder WASN'T strong enough and the custom guns started coming apart.
Some original buyers sold their conversions and later buyers had no idea these weren't Colt factory guns.
When Colt started getting bad .41 Magnum Pythons in at the factory along with outraged letters threatening lawsuits, they tracked the custom builder down.

Reportedly, he closed up shop and disappeared, right before a posse of lawyers arrived in town looking for him.
An unanswered question is, WHY a gunsmith with that level of skills would do something he HAD to know was unsafe and wouldn't stay together.

I recently saw another conversion on the Colt forum, but this one was incredibly crude, with barrel markings that looked like a kid with an engraving tool tried to free-hand it.

To be clear, while Colt experimented with several calibers including the .22LR, .41 Magnum, and a .256 caliber single prototype, NO Colt Pythons in any caliber but .357 and .38 Special were ever actually produced OR sold.

This may have been a prototype.  They had quite a few nice prototype guns there such as the very first prototype .38 Super 1911.  Looks like it had a 4" barrel when they were first thinking about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it there permanently?

I'm from CT originally, and I'm coming home on leave in a few weeks.  I might have to make my way over there.

If not, I'm gonna have to send my Dad over there, unless he already saw this thread.

[hijack] Any CT ARFcommers want to go shooting in the second half of Dec?  None of my black rifles are CT friendly, and my CHL hasn't come back yet so no handguns, but I have some other stuff.  Let me know [/hijack]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is it there permanently?

I'm from CT originally, and I'm coming home on leave in a few weeks.  I might have to make my way over there.

If not, I'm gonna have to send my Dad over there, unless he already saw this thread.

[hijack] Any CT ARFcommers want to go shooting in the second half of Dec?  None of my black rifles are CT friendly, and my CHL hasn't come back yet so no handguns, but I have some other stuff.  Let me know [/hijack]

I'm not sure if it's a permanent thing or not.  I saw it in the paper and had to check it out.  Turned out to be better than I thought.  Much better than the Sam Colt exhibit they had at the museum earlier this year.

I'm game if you want to shoot.  Just let me know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
It appears it's a permenant exhibit.  Awesome.  I'll be in CT from the 15th to the 29th.  I will make a trip up there.  I'll post in the NE HTF for any get togethers when I get up there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It appears it's a permenant exhibit.  Awesome.  I'll be in CT from the 15th to the 29th.  I will make a trip up there.  I'll post in the NE HTF for any get togethers when I get up there.

Cool -- I rarely check out those forums though, so if you don't mind, send me a PM when you're thinking of getting together cause I'll be there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, that ain't nothing.  Some guy on the first page named Millierized has a Remington Rand with NO serial number...must be an even earlier gun...just ask him, he says it's all factory original too!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top