Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2007 8:47:34 AM EDT
Got the gun home and feel like a retard for not noticing it was not made in IL, but says Imbel, Brazil instead.  This is my first 1911 so I'm a newb, and my buddy that was going to do the action work for me had never heard of the Brazil thing.  

I'm not disapointed really, just want some opinions if the origin makes any difference...

I searched FAQs here, but couldn't find anything.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not let your "buddy" touch your 1911.

SA has been using brazil for decades.

He may just screw up your 1911.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Imbel makes the FAL too....

If your friend is that ignorant of SAs origins, I would hesitate to have him do work on it.

+1.  I've had more problems with my Les Baer than I have with my Springfield.  (1 vs 0)
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Friends don't let friends work on their 1911's.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My first and only 1911 at this time is a Springer Mil-Spec...made in Brazil.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Your friend knows not what he speaks of.

You're GTG.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I love this site.
Where did I say my buddy thought it was a negative?  His identical 1911 says IL, so rightly we were confused...

Thanks for the opinions.

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Not EVERY Springfield is made in Brazil.  They have some frames made in the US, but most of them are made, assembled, and shipped to the US where Springfield distributes them.

Your buddies pistol is either a US made frame, or the frame was made as an 80% frame and the rails cut at the facility and built by the Custom Shop or other part of the facility.

I suppose most people's thoughts are, if your buddy didn't know the difference in the Springfields, he doesn't know how to work on them.

Take care,
Bob
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suppose most people's thoughts are, if your buddy didn't know the difference in the Springfields, he doesn't know how to work on them.

Take care,
Bob

+1 A smith should know some basic info of the firearm he is going to work on. Most true 1911 Smiths know a hell of a lot more than basic info.

that is why I would question your buddies trigger job.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Fair enough, we shall see.  First on the list is site swap.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Have no fear.  IMBEL is a venerable small-arms producer and not some 3rd world shithouse.   They were even licensed by FN (Belgium) to build the FAL rifle for military use.  Springfield could have chosen far worse suppliers for their parts and pistols.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the exact same gun (except it came with black plastic grips instead of the US ones), and sold it for a Loaded Model.  I actually miss the GI!  Sights are better on my Loaded, but it shot straight and the GI trigger was actually better than the one I have now.  Both were Brazil pistols.  
How much did you pay?  New/used?  
I would leave it as-is and shoot the snot out of it, but do what you will...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a Springfield loaded, all the frames are made there, don't worry about it and tell your buddy to keep his mitts off your pistol. 1911s are not good projects for shade tree gunsmiths.

+1

What he sez.........

Adding: frames & slides are fitted & assembled in the good old US of A.    
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a SA Operator, and have had 0 problems with it.  I've had it longer than the XD9, and USP40, and it is clearly the most reliable, most accurate of all those guns
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have that same gun.  Its a great gun.  I gave $425 about a year ago.  I think I've had 2  easily cleared stovepipes using target reloads in about 1000 rounds.  You have a great gun, I wouldn't do any work to it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
What is it with people wanting to work on guns before they are even fired?  Like the guys I know who buy $40K full size trucks with all the trimmings and then swap out the factory wheels for bigger ones before the odo hits 1000 miles.

Leave it alone, all it needs is a shit pile of bullets to eat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, my Dad just bouth a brand new F-150 last month and the first thing he did was drive to the tire store to buy some decent A/T tires.  Seriously "P" rated tires as factory stock?!?!

The only work I've ever done on a handgun before firing it was to swap out the grips. (I hate finger grvove grips).  I could also see swapping out sights to add night sights to a sidearm that did not have them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
HI,

I have 3 Springfields, 2-1911 and 1 XD 5" 45 and all original and fire perfect every trigger pull and hit the targetin nice groups.  The only issue is the guy pulling the trigger I seem to pull to the left a bit.

Best to keep them original or buy a custom pistol.

Curtis
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of great things come from Brazil.

Its not like its some damn Chi-com gun
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What is it with people wanting to work on guns before they are even fired?... Leave it alone, all it needs is a shit pile of bullets to eat.

I could not disagree more in this case. The Springfield GI is a non-optimal design out of the box, as is the 1911A1 generally. Modern 1911 features like a beavertail grip safety, match hammer/sear/trigger and high visibility sights are pretty much a no-brainer. Other important features for me personally are an extended thumb safety and a flat MSH with integral mag funnel. I would not own a 1911 without all of the above features - period.

The standard Springfield GI model has appeal from a historical perspective, or as an ultra-budget 1911 pattern gun, but needs work to make it all it can be. It does make an exceptional base gun though, and the reputation of Imbel is excellent.

Having just done a similar conversion to my own Springfield GI, I would point out one minor issue you should be aware of. The Springfield GI frame, for some reason, is not quite MilSpec in its shape immediately above the grip safety. As a result, installing a regular high-ride Beavertail grip safety will leave a slight gap that some ultra-anal 1911 snobs might turn their noses up at. Some gunsmiths even go so far as to weld up the frame to fill in the gap - a step I see as gross overkill. Another alternative is to use a Smith & Alexander 0.22" fitting radius grip safety, which gives a better cosmetic effect at the expense of a lower hand position. Personally, I am all about function and could not care less how the thing looks, so I have the highest possible 0.25" fitting radius beavertail grip safety (an STI) and it feels great !

Good luck with the build. Don't forget to post pics.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
in this case, brazil=good
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, some of you guys are on the wrong website if you really hate hearing about guns being modded.

Seriously though, I can respect any opinion even if I won't follow the advice.  Those sites are really crap, with all the options out there they really have to go.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Man, some of you guys are on the wrong website if you really hate hearing about guns being modded.

No one here has a problem with modifications being made to a 1911 at all.

They're just suggesting you be very careful that you only let gunsmiths with 1911 experience modify your weapon, not "Bubba."
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have two Springfields.  A GI and a Loaded Champion.  They are excellent pistols and I will buy more.  Do not fear the Brazil!

In fact, after shooting borh of mine my father now wants one.  Mom hates me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A lot of great things come from Brazil.

Its not like its some damn Chi-com gun

Point well made about brazilian guns,but I'd take a Chi-com (Norinco)1911 over any new Springer.

bob
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Point well made about brazilian guns,but I'd take a Chi-com (Norinco)1911 over any new Springer.

bob

Norinco made a quality 1911.  I just one own one on several principles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Springfield Armory 1911s have been made by Imbel from the get-go.

Earlier this year I actually had an opportunity to trade for a NIB Springer, one of the first 200 made (interesting note, it had a USGI style safety). Passed on it because I was looking for a shooter.

Outside the US Imbel 1911s are regarded as pretty good pistols.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bob

Norinco made a quality 1911.  I just wont own one on several principles.

I understand where you are coming from,but everything on the East coast is Emerates(ARAB) and West coast (Norinco)all our ports are owened by other countrys.

And most of the goods we buy at K-mart,wall-mart,wall-Greens,most everywhere are made anywhere but here.

I'll bet a harley Davidson has more out sourced parts on it than my 1995 Honda Ace (made in Madison Ohio)Made In The USA has on it.

I understand buying America Made when you can,I don't have but three guns not American made,German P08,P-38,beretta Al390,and Browning A-5(I count the latter as American).

Bob
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Number one:  forget the "action work -- just shoot the dang thing  ! !  

After you get good -- REALLY good  !  -- then worry about the action work.  

Your SA/IMBEL has a FORGED frame and slide -- not cast crap  !   Once you get to about 50,000 rounds or so, then you can worry about the "action work" and any parts that might be a little worn and need replaced.

I've got the very same pistol -- the SA WWII model.  Been shot a few ba-zillion rounds -- all trouble free  ! !

Like I said -- shoot the dang thing  ! ! !
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I think every 1911 owner should be forced to fire 200 rounds through a unmodded GI type pistol.

Many will greatly appreciate upgrades after this event.

Most SAs shoot fine out of the box, others do need work to get them into spec.  The fit and tension of the extractor in the one I just bought was nothing short of embarrassing.

Still, I'd agree with others here that your buddy's out-of-the-loop-ness is not a cause for confidence.  He may know his shit, but I'd say the odds are stacked against it.

Oh, and the Made in Brazil stamp is no cause for worry.  If you want something to worry about, think of the fact that just about every part smaller than the barrel is MIM or cast.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the same gun in stainless.  It's an excellent gun. I even like the sights better than the meprolights on my kimber.  I decided to play with it a little and do a few upgrades.  It went from being good to great.  

it started as this

in it's current configuration (sorry for the crappy pic)

You will be happy with your purchase.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Oh, and the Made in Brazil stamp is no cause for worry.  If you want something to worry about, think of the fact that just about every part smaller than the barrel is MIM or cast.

This has already bit me on my brand new SA Loaded Parkerized.  I didn't get through 60 rounds before I had "hammer follow"!  I was getting hammer follow to the half cock about 70% of the time from rounds 50 to 62.  Went home, got on Brownells.com and ordered the complete Cylinder & Slide "drop in" tactical trigger kit (4.5 lbs, includes EDM cut sear, hammer, disconnector, leaf spring and 19# main spring.)

Swapped the parts, and no more hammer follow!  The sear, disconnetor and hammer in the SA are all MIM parts.  I highly recommend the C&S trigger kits.  

The beavertail, slide stop and ambi-safety are still there and working fine though.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#33]
in response to stealthyblagga- just to go the other way I would not put all that stuff on my 1911. I've never been bit by a 1911 with the spur hammer, long triggers suck for small hands and sometimes those small GI sights are spot on for POI.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Well I have the exact same gun you have, with the same grips and all, and I am actually going in today to see if I can mod the trigger pull a little. I'm looking for about 3 1/2 lbs or something in that area.

Other than that though, I love this gun to death. It seems to be quite inaccurate with the gi sights, and with no way to tweek them, I might also get new sights as well. Also looking in to a full length guide rail, and a larger mag well. A few small things that I think will make it much more accurate.

I also suggest you shoot the gun for a few months like me (I've had mine for over a year now) so you know exactly what you want, if anything.

I've had some minor problems with the hammer since I got it, or more precisely; the spring inside the gun that has something to do with the hammer. All I know is it wouldn't click when I pulled the hammer back, and I was afraid it was going to go full auto on me. So I had to send it back. They replaced it free of charge thanks to SA's lifetime warranty.

That would suck with a .45 when your not expecting it.

Good luck.
-Revolver_Ocelot
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been shooting 1911's for almost 40 yrs., and the only mod I ever made was to have a set of S&W target sights put on one of them.  My first 1911 was chambered for the .38 Super.  Wish I still had that gun.  Bought it brand new for $125.  BTW, it was a Colt Gov. Model.  The only problem at the time was finding ammo for it.  
I've lost count of the number of rounds I've put through a .45.  I've never been bitten by the hammer even when shooting my buddy's Delta Elite in 10mm.  Now that was one fine shooting pistol.  I don't like beavertail safety's.  I never had a use for them. Nor much of the other goop that guys put on their .45's.  If that is what floats your boat, go ahead and do it.  It's just that I've always found the 1911 to be fine just as it is.  The GI sights could be improved but I shoot fine with them as they are.
My present 1911 is a Springfield GI Model.  I did have a problem with the extractor, but after I sent it back to the factory, it's worked perfectly since.  My hat's off to Springfield's customer service. When I told them about the problem, the girl said send it back and we'll make it right.  And they did.  
That said, I'm going to put the Cylinder and Slide hammer, trigger, sear, etc. in it.  Just because I want to. Also, I have some bocote that is crying out to be made into a new set of grip panels for the 1911. Or maybe I'll use the wenge.  Imbel is an excellent firearms manufacturer.  Right now I have an Imbel FAL kit waiting on a DSA receiver.  The quality of the parts is very good.  So don't worry about your pistol being manufactured in Brazil.  Take the .45 out and shoot the hell out of it.  Any glitches, if any will appear.  If so contact Springfield and have them correct the problem.  Once that is done then add to it whatever parts tickle your fancy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#36]
My first 1911 is a Springfield G.I. in the same finish.  It's a great weapon and the Brazil markings don't bother me.  Shoots great.  The only thing I did to it was change the grips.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Just bought my first Springfield 1911A1 GI, and so far, I love it.

It reminds me of my first issue weapon when I was a lowly combat medic: a Remington Rand 1943 1911A1.

My frame is marked "Genesso IL USA", so I assume it was made in IL, right?

I am going to modify the 1911A1 a bit, but I want the exterior to look like a GI issue of old.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top