Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2007 1:01:52 PM EDT
Well I bought a taurus 1911 a while back and it is a great gun, good quality, nice fitment and great accuracy. My only complaint is the damn Matte blue finish is crap. Wears to easily and needs a thourogh cleaning everyday to prevent pitting. (and yes I understand this is associated with a blued weapon) but this is alil extreme in my opinion.

anywho Ive been looking at Sigs new 1911 in stainless and rail, but From my searching no body has one or has used one on a first hand account. Ive heard their were a few lemons out their when they were first introduced but Im confident that Sig would have that cleared up by now. Im looking to replace my taurus as my primary carry gun and Ill jus leave it camp out in the truck when I get something new. Im set on the stainless since I have a fetish for polishing metal lol. Ive always liked sigs but just cant seem to find any info about thier New 1911s.

If i dont end up going with the sig I will most likely get a Loaded Springfield in stainless and have a caspian stainless rail added to it.

thanks guys,

-john
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The GSR is a very high quality gun but there are a lot that just don't work for a variety of reasons. SIG is pretty good about trying to fix problems but you should not buy the pistol unless you are prepared to do some of the work in the event of a problem. Also, holsters are limited so expect to have a custom holster made.  

I have a GSR and I like it a lot for what I have in it. It is probably the best 1911 in its price class parts wise. However, It had problems that I had to fix because SIG was incapable.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2007 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply

I have no problem doing some of the work since i feel Im capable in that arena. I jus dont wanto drop 8 or 900 dollars on a guina pig. I hold sig a step higher than most companies due to the praise they have gotten from many  individuals close to me that work in the federal LE world so I imagine they will get things workd out. As for holsters I looked around and the only one I could find that was above average quality was from High Noon Leather but like you said all custom with a 15week wait.

Do you have any pics of your GSR you could post up or send to me? Id like to get an idea as to what they look like in regular photo and not what is shown on Sigs Website.

Thanks,

-john
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated above, sig uses very high quality parts, but they are not real great as putting them all together.  They will ardently attempt to fix anything that goes wrong with it.  My GSR was a tack driver, but I unfortunately allowed incompetent smiths to destroy it.  Two bad experiences in getting custom 1911 work done have probably ruined me for the platform, which makes me sad, because I love how they look and shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would you want a proprietary 1911?Especially one with a spotty record.
One of the main reasons I love 1911's and AR's is that parts are common and available everywhere.

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry my GSR more often than I carry my Les Baer these days.  When I first got it, it wouldn't get through a magazine without a failure to feed.  The extractor had some burrs on the edges, and the factory mags were crap.  Fortunately, these were easily fixed by your's truly....Sigarms wouldn't do it.

I agree that the parts content on the GSR probably has the best pedigree of any of the various production 1911s, and pretty close to the semi-customs....unfortunately, it takes more than great parts to get a 1911 to run--they have to be fit properly, and Sig is still learning--getting better, but still learning.  The early serial numbers seemed to have the most problems--mine is in the 8700 range and everything seems to be within spec.  

The Nitron finish doesn't hold up worth spit IMO.  I had mine less than 3 months and it was worn down to shiny metal....but I do a lot of shooting/drawing and carry daily....so I blasted it with some ultra fine aluminum oxide for a matte stainless.

My gripe with the GSR isn't actually the GSR itself....SigArms has one of the most pathetic customer service departments that I've ever encountered.  Call tags go out to some people, others are expected to ship them on their own dime.  Most GSRs that I've read about that have required a trip back to the factory seem to need to make the trip more than once for things that were missed.  

Personally, after the way I was treated by Sig's customer service, I won't be spending my money on a SigArms product again.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Jus to clarify then Sigs 1911s only use specific internals matched to thier 1911s? so therefore the generic traditional internal components wont work together right?

-john
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jus to clarify then Sigs 1911s only use specific internals matched to thier 1911s? so therefore the generic traditional internal components wont work together right?

-john

no--Sig uses some GREAT parts from big name companies....all the parts fit 1911s.  It just takes some filing/polishing to get 'em to fit properly.  For instance, a safety will almost always needs a few strokes with a file to fit the sear and hammer--the parts are made slightly oversized for a 'smith to fit to a particular gun.  What I was trying to say is that Sig is still figuring out how to fit the parts.

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not too fond of external extractor 1911s, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm not too fond of external extractor 1911s, but that's just me.

I never was either, until I started shooting this one.  Once I got the rough edges cleaned up, empties all land in the same place.  If I break it, it won't require tuning--just replacement, and it takes about the same amount of time to swap.

(although, it IS harder to clean the extractor cut....I pull my extractors and clean every 1200 rds or so whether it's internal or external....you wouldn't believe the gunk that accumulates in there)
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a GSR.  Loved the look.  LOVED the parts and features you get for the money.  LOVED the accuracy -- these things are tack drivers!  But I just could not get it to run reliably and ended up trading it in.

I ended up putting about 1600 rounds through it and it had one trip back to Sig.  I agree with some of the others that Sig's customer service was horrid and I will never buy another product of theirs because of it.  They also blamed the malfs on the way I lubed it, which had nothing to do with anything.  It would leave empty cases in the chamber on a regular basis and would also have 3-point jams.  Oh, and the "manhole cover" in the slide that holds the firing pin safety came out.

If they made a reliable product they'd have THE best 1911 on the market for the price.  For me, however, it was an $800 lesson.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
alright thanks guys, Im gona sit back and wait alil while longer and see what happens with sig and see if they can get their stuff together.

In the mean time I think im gona send out my Taurus for Some Hard Chrome
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to say, i think the stainless GSR is sexy, i only wish they had all the bugs worked out, and put a 10mm version out
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to my local gunshop the other day and they had jus gotten in a a Sig 1911 C3 and I was absolutely blown away by the fitment and quality of the parts, It had to be one of the nicest fitting guns ive felt next to my p226. I was so tempted to trade my pt1911 in on the spot im gonna try and wait till the end of the year and give them alil more time to work things out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#15]
SIG  has come a long way in the development of their 1911 platform.  Frankly, in the beginning it was a difficult lesson for them to learn that just because you spec a part out it will not always come in to the specification and require hand fitting.

For example Caspian was sending them frames that still had 9mm feed ramps or somewhere in between. I saw one that came in with a rail only on one side of the frame. The extractors by EGW were not truly designed to be as rugged as they should have been.  To EGW's credit they said we were given a spec by SIG, we just didn't know how they wanted them to work.  They have since developed their HD extractor for them and the new supplier is building them to that spec I am told.

For what it is worth, SIG has come a LONG way in a very short time and I would put them at the top of the production 1911 manufacturers with a few others.  I recently picked 1 up and it was so much better then the Generation 1 I had.  Very tight, solidly built.

I noticed a small problem with about 10% ftf in the first 400 rounds.  When I talked to SIG they INSISTED that the gun come back, even though I was sure the ftf would shoot out.  As a I knowing bought a show demo gun, with a serial # in the low 6000's, it had the  old EGW extractor.  Sent it in on Monday by Friday it was delivered back to me with a new HD extractor, recoil spring, guide rod, and polished feedramp.  Worst think I can say about it know is that it is not AS accurate with my cheap practice rounds, but load some BH's and it is putting out t 1" groups at 25 yards.

It now runs perfectly and with quality parts they use (No MIM), the added AEP, magwell, and ambi safety's, it rivals some of the semi customs at my club in accuracy & fit.

I have seen a real change in not only the 1911 product coming from SIG, but in their service, and their attitude.  No body is perfect and everybody makes mistakes but my experience was good enough that
I am picking up a Revolution Carry stainless model this month.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Why is it that all the reviews i read are very good? and whats the verdict of the current production? I read all the negatives on the first runs, but who owns a new one?
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive been reading so many good things and might pick one up, do all the Nitrons have the "port hole" on the slide, or is it just the older models? I want to make sure i get a new model.
thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#18]
only the older models have the manhole cover on the slide.  Newer stock does not have the manhole cover.

notice the pic I posted--that's my GSR, s/n in the 8700 range.  It started out as a Nitron finished pistol--no manhole cover.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why is it that all the reviews i read are very good? and whats the verdict of the current production? I read all the negatives on the first runs, but who owns a new one?

I bought one two nights ago at the new Bass Pro shop in Foxboro MA... range today - it would not work or chamber on its own - needed a forward assist to get the slide in battery - thought it was just breaking in Would not chamber reliable and had several stove pipes....

I am pretty disappointed after hearing all the problems were "fixed"

btw - running on factory loaded Remington ball
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought one two nights ago at the new Bass Pro shop in Foxboro MA... range today - it would not work or chamber on its own - needed a forward assist to get the slide in battery - thought it was just breaking in Would not chamber reliable and had several stove pipes....

Does this model have the "port hole"? I keep reading great things about the new ones, i really want to know whats up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this model have the "port hole"? I keep reading great things about the new ones, i really want to know whats up.

nope - no "porthole"

I left out the part about the rear sight coming off

shows the level of attention to detail whoever is assembling this thing has

as others have said, a great gun is more than the sum of its parts - it is how it is brought to life
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
nope - no "porthole"

shows the level of attention to detail whoever is assembling this thing has

as others have said, a great gun is more than the sum of its parts - it is how it is brought to life

did your FTF look like this, or was it a FTRB?  (mostly in the chamber, but needed a nudge to completely close the slide?)

This failure was caused by weak mag springs.

A FTRB is more often caused by too much tension or sharp edges on the extractor.  My GSR had both problems.  Replacing the mag springs with Wolff + 5% springs fixed the FTF.  Flexing the extractor a bunch of times with a small brass punch will limber up the spring and help break some of the sharp edges--although mine required removal of the extractor and breaking the edges with a file and then a quick pass across a buffing wheel before it would reliably close completely into battery.

I would contact Sig and have them send a call tag--let them ship it and fix it on their dime--it's not your fault that they allowed a faulty pistol out of the factory, and you shouldn't have to pay to send it back.  If they won't (as was in my case) it's cheaper, easier, and faster to do the repairs yourself...but you will void your warranty.  I figured that because they didn't seem to plan on honoring that warranty anyway, it didn't matter.

**I just got done shooting another box through mine--another 50 rds without a hiccup of any kind....after the repairs I described, it's got over 5K through it without a failure of any kind.  (I replaced the recoil and firing pin springs at 3K, and I'm getting ready to replace them again--preventative maintenance)  That's why it gets carried, even though I have a low opinion of SigArms in general.  Just because their CS sucked when I tried to use it doesn't mean it's not a good firearm.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Colt45, can you post some pics of your GSR? Im still on the fence between a GSR and a DW RZ-10... By the way, i think your avatar is hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#24]
thanks!  I like the avatar too

I don't want to completely hijack the OP's thread, but here ya go:

new  (notice the reddish spots in the cocking serrations--those are thin spots in the Nitron)

new and compared to a stainless GSR

and improved after the Nitron wore off

actually, a Dan Wesson 10mm is on my short list of new guns to buy
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#25]

How short? Maybe you could do a written review of both to help me decide , and hijacking a thread just keeps the forum clutter down
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Colt45guy and I have had very similar experiences except that SIG took care of my shipping but was too inept to fix the problems (4 times).

Link Posted: 11/18/2007 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How short? Maybe you could do a written review of both to help me decide , and hijacking a thread just keeps the forum clutter down

lol--gotta wait until after I finish a Win M70 rebarrel/rebuild and return from an upcoming deployment....heading out in Jan, and won't be back until Apr/May.  (this trip is gonna bankroll the pistol, dies and first 1K of ammo)
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:22:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a stainless GSR Revolution WITH a pot hole cover I got about a year ago.  I have used it exclusively with Wilson mags.  

One older mag would not lock the slide back reliably, but other than that--it has functioned flawlessly with winchester bulk, remington bulk, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots,m and Hydroshocks.

I love 1911's and I finally have one that runs pretty dang perfect out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#29]
My stainless GSR (bought new in 2007) was phenomenal straight out of the box, very tight and felt like a solid piece of bar stock in the hand.  It did however have the "manhole" cover on the side.  These were known to work out of their hole so the first thing I did was remove and loctite in place before the first 200 rounds.

The Novak mag was the only weak link although it worked in the Sig, it was just that it was worthless in my other 1911.  I said the same about my KimPro mag and now use WC 47Ds exclusively in both pistols.

The only issue I have had with the Sig is trying to find a quality holster for it.  The slide profile is significantly different from any other 1911 and unless you go for a custom you will be hard pressed to find what you need.  I did find that my Galco P220 holsters fit although they were designed for a much shorter slide and the front sight has a tendency to snag on the draw.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
nope - no "porthole"

shows the level of attention to detail whoever is assembling this thing has[>://

did your FTF look like this, or was it a FTRB?  (mostly in the chamber, but needed a nudge to completely close the slide?)

i172.photobucket.com/albums/w19/Colt45guy/GSRMALF006.jpg

This failure was caused by weak mag springs.

A FTRB is more often caused by too much tension or sharp edges on the extractor.  My GSR had both problems.  Replacing the mag springs with Wolff + 5% springs fixed the FTF.  Flexing the extractor a bunch of times with a small brass punch will limber up the spring and help break some of the sharp edges--although mine required removal of the extractor and breaking the edges with a file and then a quick pass across a buffing wheel before it would reliably close completely into battery.

I would contact Sig and have them send a call tag--let them ship it and fix it on their dime--it's not your fault that they allowed a faulty pistol out of the factory, and you shouldn't have to pay to send it back.  If they won't (as was in my case) it's cheaper, easier, and faster to do the repairs yourself...but you will void your warranty.  I figured that because they didn't seem to plan on honoring that warranty anyway, it didn't matter.

**I just got done shooting another box through mine--another 50 rds without a hiccup of any kind....after the repairs I described, it's got over 5K through it without a failure of any kind.  (I replaced the recoil and firing pin springs at 3K, and I'm getting ready to replace them again--preventative maintenance)  That's why it gets carried, even though I have a low opinion of SigArms in general.  Just because their CS sucked when I tried to use it doesn't mean it's not a good firearm.  

Good advice from Colt45

I stripped the weapon, smoothed out some sharp edges (corner of the mainspring housing was irritating my palm), paid special attention to the extractor, replaced springs, tightened rear sight, cleaned and lubed and headed back to the range...

200 rounds of assorted .45 ACP w/o a failure.

It is a solid feeling pistol and easy to shoot.

My experience with Sig has been good - I own a early gen. P226 (stamped slide) and a P210 purchased back in the '80's (and not really shot much since then!) and both have been exemplary firearms. Never returned anything to customer service in the US though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top