Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2007 11:02:56 AM EDT
I got this Colt when I was back in college. I have been slowly going through it. I was wondering what these screws are for on top of the slide. This gun has been a pain. It jams alot. Stove pipes and sometimes the empty case it still sitting in the chamber after it is fired. I have a new recoil spring in it. I was also going to try a new extractor.

Thanks for any help..

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the slide was probably fitted with a Bo-Mar rib at one time.  This is a popular modification with bullseye shooters.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Top rail mounted sight, you could take them out wouldn hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I wonder how I could fill those holes. I want to first get it shooting good, then have it Hard Chromed. Do you think that the finishing company could do that before they do the Hard Chroming.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You also need to either tune your extractor or get a new one.  The claw could be chipped or broken.

Some reading...

www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/extractor.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it does sound like the extractor has insufficient tension.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, I wonder how I could fill those holes. I want to first get it shooting good, then have it Hard Chromed. Do you think that the finishing company could do that before they do the Hard Chroming.

Filling holes in steel isn't very easy, and it usually costs far more than it's worth.
About the only way to do it so the holes are not noticeable is to weld them up then precision surface grind the slide.
This can damage the heat treating of the slide.

Most platers don't offer gunsmithing at that level.
To get it done, you'd have to find a crack pistolsmith/welder, then send it out for plating after he reworked the slide.

One option is to install some Brownell's dome-head plug screws.
These will give it a more "finished" look then the current screws, and will be FAR cheaper.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18693&title=POSITIVE+STOP?%20PLUG%20SCREWS

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, that was some great info. I pulled my extractor out. I dont have a guage. But I did give is some pressure to face more toward the shell. It also says I should pollish it with a 220 emory cloth. What part do I polish. The actual lip that grabs the round?

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top