Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 4:48:42 PM EDT
My first pistol was a 1911 and a few years ago redid most of the gun myself with Wilson Combat parts.  I think the fact that I did all the work myself really makes the gun my favorite, aside from the great handling.  I have recently been thinking of getting a commander sized 1911 and am thinking of doing the work to it myself again.  
Basically I was wondering if it is better/easier to buy something similar to a GI model and doing the work to that or buy a frame and slide and start from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen (haven't built one yet, but planning on it), the fram to slide fitting takes a large portion of time in a build.

This post is primarily a bump for other more knowledgable people to answer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For me.

I let the GS fit the  barrel and barrle bushing, cut the sights,  and blue. I'll do just about everything else.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Order a Caspian Slide and Frame that has been fit together, then you can do the rest of the work yourself.

You will not save much or any money, but you may get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at the caspian website last night.  Having the slide, frame, bushing, and barrel fit seems like the way to go.  I don't have any experience doing those kind of things and I'm not sure if I'm up to that challenge yet.  The only bad thing is with caspian having so many options, the price raises quickly.  It may be awhile before I can build up the desposable funds for this project.  

Does anyone have any opinions on titanium frames, and just for the hell of it, damascus slides?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was looking at the caspian website last night.  Having the slide, frame, bushing, and barrel fit seems like the way to go.  I don't have any experience doing those kind of things and I'm not sure if I'm up to that challenge yet.  The only bad thing is with caspian having so many options, the price raises quickly.  It may be awhile before I can build up the desposable funds for this project.  

Does anyone have any opinions on titanium frames, and just for the hell of it, damascus slides?

I have heard that Ti frames are a holy pain to work with. I read an account by one 1911-smith who swore he'd never use Ti in a gun ever again.

They're expensive, too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hand lapping of slide to frame is not that bad. I use valve grinding compound. It can be tedius. Use drop in barrel and bushing if you are not looking for match accuracy.  Let a gunsmith fit barrel and bushing if you want more than drop in accuracy!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Fitting a slide to a frame can indeed be tedious.  I have been fortunate, in that I have only had to do so a couple  of times.  Barrel to slide fit is more important to accuracy than slide to frame fit.

It is tedious, but it is not rocket science.  I use J-B bore cleaning compound mixed with CLP, and a handy dandy plastic mallet I bought for $0.99 30 years ago.

I enjoy assembling Gov't model clones.  Others may disagree, but I think it is one of the most fun things that you can do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fitting a slide to a frame can indeed be tedious.  I have been fortunate, in that I have only had to do so a couple  of times.  Barrel to slide fit is more important to accuracy than slide to frame fit.

It is tedious, but it is not rocket science.  I use J-B bore cleaning compound mixed with CLP, and a handy dandy plastic mallet I bought for $0.99 30 years ago.

I enjoy assembling Gov't model clones.  Others may disagree, but I think it is one of the most fun things that you can do.

Agree.  I use Clover brand valve grinding compound and a rawhide mallet.  You should: 1) buy a brownell's catalog. 2) Order a copy of Huhnhausen & read it 3) order a Kart "E-Z Fit" barrel w/ fitted bushing. You should end up with a reasonably accurate 1911 if the slide-to-bushing fit is tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top