Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2007 7:18:10 PM EDT
Hi all, I recently purchased a used SA GI 45, I love the gun. the only problem that i have is that the safety is really hard to switch on and off. The gun has less than 500 rds through it. This is my first 1911 and was wondering if this is normal? Will it work is self out?, or should I have it checked out by a gunsmith. Thanks, Josh
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Try flipping it up and down a couple hundred times. Personally, I like my safety to take thought and effort to flip off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My stock safety on my SA Mil-Spec was tight but I replaced it early in the game. This is normal and not a bad thing. Make sure the gun is unloaded and flick the safety on and off for awhile if you want to "break it in"
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine was the same way. It will get easier over time, but it will probably always be stiff. What you could do; is remove the safety and chalk the backside (side that makes contact with the frame). Then see where it rubbs on the frame. Remove the safety again, and lightly stone or use 600 grit sand paper with oil to remove the excess. Again, over time it may get easier through use, but it will remain some what stiff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Mine was the same way. It will get easier over time, but it will probably always be stiff. What you could do; is remove the safety and chalk the backside (side that makes contact with the frame). Then see where it rubbs on the frame. Remove the safety again, and lightly stone or use 600 grit sand paper with oil to remove the excess. Again, over time it may get easier through use, but it will remain some what stiff.

It's not tight where the safety contacts the frame, rather its in the front (muzzle direction) where it rides on that detent, it seems like it need a dremel with a sander taken to it. I'm going to continue to keep switching it on and off. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If that's the case then your spring in the plunger tube maybe too stiff or the pins in the tube have rough spots, or the inside of the plunger tube has not been machined clean enough to allow smooth function (the later more than likely). Something I forgot to mention earlier and will mention now is; SA carries a Lifetime Warrenty. You could send it back at no charge and have them smooth things out. Or, you can try and "Break it in" by hand and use. Best of luck and safe shooting to you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SA SS Loaded. Everything is tight on it. It will loosen up over time. Just oil frequently and exercise the safety. It will get better.

Personally, I like it tight. Gives me a very positive feel. Helps muscle memory.

Roy
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Unload weapon, double check, sit in front of TV, cock weapon, snick safety on and off about 1000 times and lightly oil several times at the detent and at the shaft.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Work it. It'll fall in line over time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought about the Thousand X's break in method...  but I decided to WECSOG the satefy at its rough points... Then it became smooth and crisp.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost every GI or Milspec I've handled has had an extremely tight thumb safety.  A little filing, sanding and polishing on the front of the safety (the point between on and off) will make it work easier, yet you can keep it very positive.  If you do it yourself, go slow and check the feel often.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure it's unloaded, then work it until your hand hurts. Go to bed and do it again the next day.

Do this for a few days or a week or 2.

1.  It'll break in.
2.  You develop a muscle memory
3.  When you need it and your adrenaline is working, you'll have no problem poppng it off, and going staright to the trigger.
4.  When you by another springfield you;ll know what to do.
5.  When you buy a loaded Springfield you won't have any prolems at all knking the safety off and going to trigger.

Dont file it, or sand it,  or take a dremel to it.  Work for it, you'll appreciate it later.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top