Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2007 8:35:38 PM EDT
Im looking to get a 10mm auto and i would love to have it in a 1911 pistol. I know colt made them for awhile and kimber is making one now. Who else has them, does any custom house do them? I heard that the delta colts had problems breaking under the power of the round. . .true or false? Basically asking who makes the best 10mm auto 1911? Any help on the topic is appreciated.

Pat
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Any decent custom house will build you one, and if you don't fuck up the timing like Colt tends to do, they don't break. I would call Jason Burton at Yost-Bonitz, they do some very nice 10mms.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to see S&W make one of their scandium 1911s in a 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any decent custom house will build you one, and if you don't fuck up the timing like Colt tends to do, they don't break. I would call Jason Burton at Yost-Bonitz, they do some very nice 10mms.

Any decent custom house will typically charge you an arm and a leg, as well, for a 10mm gun!

Getting a Dan Wesson is a good way to get a great, tight, solid gun with no/few MIM parts for under $1k.  The Kimbers have some good reviews, too, but there are a LOT of MIM parts in there.

Combat_Jack, would you please explain the timing issue that you state Colt 10mm's have?  I've never heard of this before.  I've got a Delta that I am carefully improving, step-by-step, with an eye towards maximum durability, reliability, and longevity (with mid- to full-power loads).
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
They are best when unlocking is delayed by a tightly fit barrel, and a square slide stop.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are best when unlocking is delayed by a tightly fit barrel, and a square slide stop.

Ahhhh . . .

Gotcha now.  I have an EGW FPS in there and a 22# recoil spring, and am getting ready to install a 25# mainspring, as well as a Cominolli tungsten FLGR (have it) and tungsten guide plug (on the way to get trimmed to fit the guide plug hole in the DE).  Once the heavier MS goes in, I'm going to try with a 20# RS.

Eventually, I'm going to send it to Clark Custom for their Combat conversion (which will take care of the tightly fit barrel part).
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys, ill look into those custom makers. Ive never had a problem spending money on a nice reliable weapon.

Question though since ive never had a custom 1911 made, do i need to purchas a slide and frame for the builders you mentioned, do i need a full pistol, or can they get all the parts needed to do the build from the ground up?

Pat

PS thinking about Yost doing the build as i like the stuff on his site, looked at it before. Cant find anything on the other builder mentioned though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You can find it or they can find it, usually. Might be faster or cheaper for you to find it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Dan Wesson Pointman Seven in 10mm. It is a great gun. The only beef I have with it is that I am not keen on the adjustable sights. Beyond that, it is fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail
www.cz-usa.com/products_dan_wesson.php
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've followed the 10mm "scene" for many years, and I did extensive research on many gun boards before I bought my Dan Wesson Cbob. I've never read even one single post about a DW KBing, and yet aim4myhead claims to have personally seen THREE himself? How about some more details. Short of someone using way over pressure handloads, I just don't buy it. My Cbob, 2007 manufacture, is as nice of a 1911 as I've ever seen this side of a full custom. Don't be afraid of the 10mm even in "full power" loads. Just watch out for unknown reloads and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The kimber Eclipse II is the only currently production 1911 with a ramped and supported barrel. That is very important with high pressure rounds like 10mm. Ive seen 3 dan wessons personally KB the exact same way with hot ammo.

I'd like some more information on this as well . . . since Kimbers are known for their inferior MIM parts (which are said to break quite frequently).  IIRC, there's been another "lone voice" on other boards claiming to have personally seen multiple DW KB's.  Would you happen to be the same fellow?  Do you work for Kimber?

ETA another thread where you've posted the same:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=46388
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never heard of the DW's Kb'ing, but I have a Kimber Eclipse and a DW Razorback so here are the chamber comparisons.

The DW does have slightly more unsupported area, but the RZ is a range/competition gun so it doesn't get really hot loads anyway.  I save those for the Kimber which is my main carry gun now.

DW:

Kimber:

eta:  These are my favorite guns to shoot by far.  Although any 1911 is good to go with me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the help guys. I may buy the kimber and have someone just replace all the parts ontop of other custom work, im still trying to figure it all out i guess.

Pat
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I run a gun shop/range. We sell Dan Wessons. I have seen two bobtail classics KB with Double tap and one Razor back Kb with RBCD. All 3 guns did the exact same thing. The round had case failure at the 6 o'clock where it is least support with Dan Wesson barrels. It blew the magazine out jamming the follower  to the base and splitting the grips. After a new set of grips and new magazines the guns were fine. If DWs were any lesser of a gun i think there would of been more damage.
 No i do not work for Kimber. They are actually a very unpleasant company to deal with and lack greatly in the customer service department.
 No i'm not some "lone voice" on another board. ARFCOM is the only gun board out there IMO.
 Whether people care to believe what i say does not change what i know and what i have seen with my own eyes in my range. Take it for what it's worth to you.

Thanks for clarifying.  As you well know, there is a lot of "gun shop lawyering" here on ARFCOM.  What you say rings true (unfortunately for DW).  I've seen some other reports of DW KB's on 1911 Forum, and was wondering if you were that guy.

I really am bummed by this report, since I was definitely planning on purchasing a DW RZ-10 . . . I love their look, and the fact that it's a hand-fitted gun made up of quality parts.  The Eclipse doesn't look bad, but I hate front-cocking-serrations and all of the MIM parts (and Kimber's wacky firing-pin safety).
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I would also HIGHLY recommend Bob Miller.  Not only does he do fantastic work, but he's a big fan of the 10mm and has turned out some gorgeous Deltas.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Went through a couple of Smith N-frames in .41 & 44 as my woods guns.
I shoot best with a 1911, but kept putting off buying a 1911 in 10mm
because of early reports from gun writers on the round being too hard on the design.

I don't buy gun magazines anymore ......

Here is my Middlebrooks custom DE that uses a refitted stock carbon barrel.
My defensive load is GA 155 gr. Gold Dots and my hunting load is the DT 200 gr. XTP.

If I could have just one pistol it would be a 1911 in 10mm.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/rkamp_111/IMG_0014-2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The kimber Eclipse II is the only currently production 1911 with a ramped and supported barrel. That is very important with high pressure rounds like 10mm. Ive seen 3 dan wessons personally KB the exact same way with hot ammo.

J

Para Ordnance 1911s have ramped and supported barrels as well which is why I chose a Para to build a 10mm on.  Unfortunately it looks like I would have been better off building a full custom from scratch since I'll probably end up replacing everything but the frame by the time I'm finished with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]
is the Colt DE ramped and suported?I didnt know the Dan Wesson wasent.they have a pointman7 in 10mm for just over 700 bucks at buds guns on the net.great deal for a 1911 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I sent my Colt Delta Elite to Wilson Combat for some work and am pleased:

I also like my Kimber Stainless Target in 10mm for the range:

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I sent my Colt Delta Elite to Wilson Combat for some work and am pleased:

I also like my Kimber Stainless Target in 10mm for the range:

Your Delta looks great, SilverState!!!  The high-grip cut is very subtle and well-done, I like it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, but do you mean the checkered front strap?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks, but do you mean the checkered front strap?

Yes, the checkering looks nice, too . . . but I am more impressed with the way metal appears to have been relieved under the trigger guard to give the "high-grip" cut.  For reference:

- look at the DW CBOB above, and you'll see the normal curve of metal under the trigger guard, which is quite pronounced and prevents a good, solid, high grip.

- look at rkamp's DE above.  That shows the type of high-cut that I don't like, very abrupt and sharp, with a sharp transition between the checkered and non-checkered portion of the frame.

Yours rocks . . . IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Im looking to get a 10mm auto and i would love to have it in a 1911 pistol. I know colt made them for awhile and kimber is making one now. Who else has them, does any custom house do them? I heard that the delta colts had problems breaking under the power of the round. . .true or false? Basically asking who makes the best 10mm auto 1911? Any help on the topic is appreciated.

Pat

Only the very early models, until Colt figured they could mill out the area above the slide stop that was cracking, voila, no more problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard that the delta colts had problems breaking under the power of the round. . .true or false?

Only the very early models, until Colt figured they could mill out the area above the slide stop that was cracking, voila, no more problem.

Is that the extent of the cracking problem in Colt DEs? I have another 1911 that cracked at the slide-stop cutout.  I don't see it as a problem, since the DE has that entire area removed anyway.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top