Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 3:53:48 PM EDT
So in order to fire a 1911 am i to understand correctly that you have to cock back the hammer by hand. You cant just pull the trigger and have it go off or does it not lock back at all or what not. Im really confused and thinking about buying one, cause everybody likes 1911's apparently and its just a classic american gun. Thanks in advance.
ETA- i realize that if my understanding is correct this would only be for the first shot and the action of the gun would cock it for the rest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave the hammer back. Use the safety. There is no need to ever drop the hammer on a 1911 except when firing or dry firing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
^ im not asking how to use it im asking if you have to have the hammer back for it to fire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
But to further answer your question, you will never have to cock the hammer back, because it should remain to the rear all the time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But to further answer your question, you will never have to cock the hammer back, because it should remain to the rear all the time.

Not when you are doing dry fire excercises, and this is where you would discover the 1911 is SAO, requiring a cocking of the hammer (either operator's thumb or the slide) to reset the trigger.

Having said that it bears threepeating to NEVER thumb the hammer down on a loaded chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top