Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:44:18 PM EDT
Hey there....

So, I messed up bad. hooting
Come next day, there are spots on the part of the barrel that was exposed to the air. I'm betting that's rust.

I just sprayed some Breakfree on the barrel, and went at it with an abrasive pad/brass brush. All it looks like I did was scratch it up (I also used the brass brush/abrasive pad on the ramp)...

So, I've still got rust, and now I scratched the hell out of the barrel.

:/

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
0000 steel wool and oil.

+1  LOL

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Steel wool will scratch the finish on the metal. Look at the area you scrubed through a loupe if you don't believe me.

If you're really particular about your finish, use bronze or brass wool and plenty of oil. They won't mar the metal or the finish (though they might leave brass or bronze residue that you'll have to remove).
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you remove the residue?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Steel wool will scratch the finish on the metal. Look at the area you scrubed through a loupe if you don't believe me...

I believe you; I just don't look at my 1911s with a loupe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top