Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2007 12:01:16 PM EDT
I got these to play with they both need refinishing but that is part of the fun. I tool them both apart completely and cleaned them. They look like they were carried much shot little. Both were full of lint in the mainspring area. I took them to the range today and had two problems.

1. The magazine release on one pistol would not lock in a new mag every time. This problem followed the release when I swapped it so I will replace that.

2. The other pistol would fire once then stop. It appears like the grip safety gets jammed in. I have to drop the mag to release it. Any idea what that can be?

I have new springs,grips,screws and bushings on the way. I like to tinker and these are just going to be casual shooters but for $400  for both delivered I can't complain.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2007 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I got these to play with they both need refinishing but that is part of the fun. I tool them both apart completely and cleaned them. They look like they were carried much shot little. Both were full of lint in the mainspring area. I took them to the range today and had two problems.

1. The magazine release on one pistol would not lock in a new mag every time. This problem followed the release when I swapped it so I will replace that.

and by lock in, do you mean hold the magazine?  If so, before you buy another release, replace the the Mag catch spring.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
What i mean is when you put in a magazine in the release is partially depressed and the magazine will fall out. I just swapped the spring with the one that works and it did not help...

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Where can I find one of those for $200
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
They are sold out ay Lipseys....

This is the thread that got us all started. link

I want to clean up the threads on the frame for the screw bushings. What size/pitch?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want to clean up the threads on the frame for the screw bushings. What size/pitch?

Kuhnhausen lists them as .236x60 to clean the threads

If you like to tinker with 1911's, get Kuhnhausen's books to start.  link and link

you can get these from Brownells
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
These are my first two... I don't know if I have been bitten yet. I already have garandites.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
These are my first two... I don't know if I have been bitten yet. I already have garandites.

it'll bite.  I'm now up to 4 in under 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
OK I found out what the problem #2 was. The trigger was dragging on the magazine and causing it to stick. I smoothed some milling marks on it and that did the trick.

Thanks for all of those that offered suggestions.

I have one blasted and ready to DuroCoat. I will do the other when the new mag release come in. I have two colors Parker #6 and WW2 OD Green #53 I like the way it looks blasted. I may just get some clear. The hardest thing about it will be letting it sit for several weeks to cure 100%

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That cleaned up real nice...

Looks like I missed out
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
OK finally done. A set of matching wood grips are on the way to replace the plastic grips.

2 x grade C from Lipseys $400
New Pins, Springs, Mag catch, Grips, Grip screws, Grip Bushings and Paint $110

I did get a tap to clean the bushing threads. That was well worth it.

Not a bad deal.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you shot them at all? Mine looks just like yours did. I have had a few issues, hammer bite and alot of rough edges on the thumb safety. Did you clean up any sharp edges or shorten the hammer?

Really nice looking pistols btw.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
those came out nice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have you shot them at all? Mine looks just like yours did. I have had a few issues, hammer bite and alot of rough edges on the thumb safety. Did you clean up any sharp edges or shorten the hammer?

Really nice looking pistols btw.

I shot them before I painted them. I had no sharp edges but I did have a bad mag release and the trigger in one was rubbing on the mag and causing problems. I just hit it with a stone to fix it.

I will let them cure for several weeks before I shoot them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top