Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 3:47:25 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to purchase either a Kimber Stainless II or a Springfield Loaded Lightweight Champion. Unfortunately the more I research on the internet the more unclear I am. In looking at both there is just not a lot of good information about them. The Kimber seems to have a lot of folks complaining about FTF FTE.

I am well versed in 1911's so what I am thinking is the Kimber is probably a much tighter pistol than a traditional 1911 and therefore may be a bit more tempermental at first. If that is the case I am fine with that truly, I'll be HAPPY to break it in. I also seem to see a lot of folks who say that start talking about field stripping the pistol and going to work with it with a file. Ouch...

So I am getting either one today via a private sale both are like new in box. Both look excellent.

This pistol will be my primary HD and CCW here in Utah I am a big boy so a "full frame 1911" is not bad for me in CCW.

I may also start using it for 3 gun but have no decided. all I know is I want a 1911 ever since I sold my Colt I have missed it.

Any help deciding on these two is much appreciated I am tired of reading internet stuff like "I had a buddy that said his brother in law's friend had FTF's" I'd like the opinion of ARcommers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The truth is it is confusing and the more you hear the worse it gets. people who have bad experiences with A will tell you to get B and vice versa. Worse still, some guy will have A and go on and on about how much he likes it which still has little comparative worth. There are a handful of people who have owned both and they might be able to help (assuming they bought their pistols somewhat recently esp w Kimber, which was much worse years ago).

I an a 1911 snob and don't have either. Both of them are mass-produced 1911s with a small chance of being lemons, and a good chance of being a great reliable shooter. Both have MIM parts. Both have alot of fans and disgruntled (former) owners. At the end of the day, it's really Ford v. Chevy. I would look at the features of the two for starters and see which you like best. Also you can inspect the pistols so look at fit and finish, as well as trigger pull. Absent of shooting them, that's about as good as it's going to get.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
get the SA, I have 2 champions, one SS and one LW, love them both, can't say anything bad about the kimber, but I'd get the SA from personal experience
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not like the Kimber II line.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone. Gregory if you have the chance can you expand a bit?

I agree it is hard to go by opinions especially on the Internet, gun writers MAY have a motive or not enough experience and others seem to come lonine to gripe about a pistol (understandably) but that same person may not take the time if a pistol runs smooth as silk. In other words people tend to complain more than praise so it might skew the results.

Basically the biggest difference and this may be small to some. 1st the Kimber is full sized barrel and isn't a lightweight. I like a heavier gun especially in the 45 acp

The Springfield I like due to it being more "traditional."

I might go with the Kimber though because the price is right and it appears to have had less than 50 rounds according to what he has said and judging by the appearance basically looks new in box. Ultimately I WILL end up with more 1911s so a Kimber newish at a low price may be a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to hold and feel both.  Me, I hate the wide thumb safety and bumbed grip safety that come on the Springfield Loaded guns, the slicker feel of the Kimber fits my hand much better, people with big hands seem to like the Springers better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone. Gregory if you have the chance can you expand a bit?

I've a few Stock Kimbers not fire on the IDPA. There II saftery is the least forgiving of the 3 designs. I've even had failures to fire due to not fully enacting the saftey.

With the orginal 1911 saftey pattern and the 80 series I've maybe had 3 in my 6 years of shooting IPSC, IDPA.

When I in the market for a 1911 I look for a 70 series saftey system then 80 series I will not even look at the series II system. But then I usally cruse the Used line as most of the parts I am going to  place in the trash as I want the pistol set up the way I want it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Please educate this novice what the "70 series saftey system then 80 series " are and the differences

thank youuuuu
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have an opportunity to purchase either a Kimber Stainless II or a Springfield Loaded Lightweight Champion.

This pistol will be my primary HD and CCW here in Utah I am a big boy so a "full frame 1911" is not bad for me in CCW.

I may also start using it for 3 gun but have no decided.

Either size is fine for carry, but if you plan on competing, it might be prudent to go with the big gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Please educate this novice what the "70 series saftey system then 80 series " are and the differences

thank youuuuu

Top 'O the page
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

thank youuuuu

It's also not as easy as '80 vs. '70 style.  Colt's series 80 is a proven, reliable design that uses the trigger to push the safety plunger out of the way.  With the Kimber, the grip safety is used to push the plunger up.  It is easy to push the GS in far enough to allow the hammer to fall but not far enough to disengage the firing pin safety.  This will lead to the no fire condition addressed above.  I did some testing at home with a pencil (to know when the FP was struck) and I sold the Kimber soon after :)  Same reason I won't buy a Smith and Wesson.  They are nice, well put together 1911's but use the same damn Swartz safety as the Kimber.

Anyways, buy the SA hands down over the Kimber.

Bryan
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks folks I went with the Kimber it was a hard decision the Springfield is a great gun and the owner seems to be a good guy. Having said that I went with the Kimber. It was owned a total novice that shot a few rounds through it and didn't want it... ugggh How folks can buy an expensive weapon and give it 20 rounds of opportunity and give up on it is beyond me. Anyhow, I took it to the range yesterday put about 400 rnds of ball and JHP through it and it was perfect. I couldn't be happier with it. Not one glitch very accurate and it just felt perfect in my hands. This was the last target of the day and keep in mind I was mostly breaking it in and checking function so I wasn't shooting for score. The target contains the last two mags quick shots. Unfortunately I dropped one (
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top