Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2006 8:20:00 PM EDT
I've heard from a couple of dealers that Springfield Mil-Spec's are hard to come by these days?  Any ideas why?  And is it still possible to get a NIB Mil-Spec in OD green?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the dealer's too lazy to get one and/or is trying to pimp out the already existing stock. My friend was price shopping for a Series 70 reissue, and the guys from 2 places start going nuts about how the weapon's a custom shop only special order and blah blah blah. Well my friend ended up going back to the only place with one in stock but I have noticed since then they aren't exactly hen's teeth. I imagine the SA is even easier to come across.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told by three local shops that they are hard to come by because they are in high demand. Some dealers loaded up on the Mil-spec's and are selling them on the various auction sites. They are very popular guns for build ups, and apparently SA can't keep up with the demand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Mil-specs are the only sprinfields my local dealers have on hand lately.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]
And for clarification:  When i say "Mil-Spec", I mean "Mil-Spec."  NOT "GI".  Thanks.

I've had more than one local shop hand me the GI model when I ask for the Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I had my local dealer telling that they were hard to keep in stock too.  

They had a GI but it wasn't what I was looking for.  I ended up finding a NIB mil spec in the EE here and had it shipped to my dealer.  Saved me from paying 8% sales tax!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And for clarification:  When i say "Mil-Spec", I mean "Mil-Spec."  NOT "GI".  Thanks.

I've had more than one local shop hand me the GI model when I ask for the Mil-Spec.

Like I said...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It might be because the the "GI" is actually a "GI Mil Spec".  That is how SA labels them from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got one off Gunbroker.  Brand new in box for $450.  I got the Mil-Spec and not the GI.

They are out there

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just got one off Gunbroker.  Brand new in box for $450.  I got the Mil-Spec and not the GI.

They are out there

Not at that price, they aren't...

It's either used or a G.I.

Does it have verical or slanted rear cocking serrations?

Post a link to the auction and we can better tell what you got.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
gunbroker link #1

gunbroker link #2

there's two of the "Mil-Specs"...not "GI".  Both nearly $600...easily $600 after the transfer.

I'm in the same spot.  That's the one I want for my first 1911 and I can't seem to find one locally.  

Oh, and it seems like a lot of people on gunbroker are ambiguious about the difference...there's a guy on there with a "GI" for over $500.

Edited to Add: just saw this one, might get in under $500 at 99% condition, used.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are out there

Thanks but last time I checked, I wasn't an idiot.  I did my research and won't need anyone to "tell me what I got"

It is the Miil-spec.  It has the three-dot sights and lowered ejection port.  Arrived brand new in box with Springfields new grips and two mags.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are out there

Thanks but last time I checked, I wasn't an idiot.  I did my research and won't need anyone to "tell me what I got"

It is the Miil-spec.  It has the three-dot sights and lowered ejection port.  Arrived brand new in box with Springfields new grips and two mags.

I'm not saying you're an idiot.  I'm telling you that you have your facts wrong.  NIB  Mil-Spec's for $450 are not out there...

If you'd rather not post a link to your auction - no problem...we believe you...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#13]
lauer advertises them for 390 I think in SGN.  just get them to transfer it to your dealer adn you walk out iwth one for like 425-430
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are out there

I'm not saying you're an idiot.  I'm telling you that you have your facts wrong.  NIB  Mil-Spec's for $450 are not out there...

If you'd rather not post a link to your auction - no problem...we believe you...

Here are some pics of the gun that I just picked up this week.  You can clearly see that it is a Mil-Spec.  Now what possible reason would I have to lie?

Believe me....or don't believe me.  I don't really give a shit.  I'm just trying to tell the guy that there are Mil-Specs out there if you look.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#15]

I'm telling you that you have your facts wrong. NIB Mil-Spec's for $450 are not out there...

sure they are....  I've seen used for 410, new for 490....
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
The one milspec that is really hard to come by is the operator. If anyone sees one with the full length rail you might wanna grab it post haste regardless of price (within reason).
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are out there

I also got a brand new in the box, Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for $455 after all was said and done.  Yes, that includes shipping and ffl transfer fee.  Granted that was about three years ago, and probably due to a listing error.  But it is entirely possible that it happens.  

Believe it or not, some dealers are happy to sell a gun for $10 or $20 profit, and then charge you $25 for shipping, even though it cost them about $12 to ship it to your ffl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The one milspec that is really hard to come by is the operator. If anyone sees one with the full length rail you might wanna grab it post haste regardless of price (within reason).

The Operator is not a Mil-Spec.  It's an Operator.  

Here is one if you really want it that bad.

www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/40108
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've heard from a couple of dealers that Springfield Mil-Spec's are hard to come by these days?  Any ideas why?  And is it still possible to get a NIB Mil-Spec in OD green?  Thanks.

Jaltered,  many SA firearms have always been pretty hard to get.  I have had about 5 dealers tell me the same thing.  They are usually back ordered for several weeks.  If there is a dealer you trust, just have him order one for you.  It might take a little while, but you will get it.  It isn't as if SA is going out of business.  I got my mil-spec here.  Even if he doesn't have it, he will order it for you.

www.budsgunshop.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When they first came out SA offered the "operator" in Mil-Spec, loaded and TRP.  They only offer
the operator in loaded(MC operator) and TRP form now.

ETA  putneyswope was correct.  If you come across a Mil-Spec Operator and its reasonable, buy it.  There do not seem to be many out there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm telling you that you have your facts wrong. NIB Mil-Spec's for $450 are not out there...

NIB for $490 is not NIB for $450.  Used for $410 is not NIB for $450.

Getting one three years ago at that price is not $450 NIB out there today.

Yeesh, folks...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are out there

Here are some pics of the gun that I just picked up this week.  You can clearly see that it is a Mil-Spec.  Now what possible reason would I have to lie?

Believe me....or don't believe me.  I don't really give a shit.  I'm just trying to tell the guy that there are Mil-Specs out there if you look.

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/058140000/58140896/pix795639157.jpg
nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/058140000/58140896/pix795639235.jpg

Great - so help us out and tell us who the seller was so we can all get one at that price...

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The MILSPEC is a very popular base gun for custom and semi custom builds. Lots of them are bought for that reason.

A friend on mine uses one MILSPEC based custom as his CCW and has two others for training classes.

Go to TacticalForums or 10-8 forums and you will see this is very a common practise and is certainly part of the reason for the supply being grabbed up fast.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeesh, folks...

No, but what you are failing to take into consideration is, even back then, they were $500 plus tax at a good/fair gun shop.  That would have been $535 out the door for me, but I got it for $455($420 for the gun, $25 shipping, and $10 transfer fee), take home price, instead.  I am willing to bet you would have said I was full of shit back then too.  Just like you did this guy.  The shitty shop in town has one in the case for about $640.  It is the same one that was in the display case when I bought mine, about three years ago.  But back then it was marked for $612.  

If I find one NIB, for $450 plus tax or shipping and transfer in the next month.  And I prove it with a receipt, will you reimburse me for finding it at that price?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When they first came out SA offered the "operator" in Mil-Spec, loaded and TRP.  They only offer

ETA  putneyswope was correct.  If you come across a Mil-Spec Operator and its reasonable, buy it.  There do not seem to be many out there.

My apologies.  I didn't know a simple Mil-Spec with a light rail was so special nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeesh, folks...

No, but what you are failing to take into consideration is, even back then, they were $500 plus tax at a good/fair gun shop.  That would have been $535 out the door for me, but I got it for $455($420 for the gun, $25 shipping, and $10 transfer fee), take home price, instead.  I am willing to bet you would have said I was full of shit back then too.  Just like you did this guy.  The shitty shop in town has one in the case for about $640.  It is the same one that was in the display case when I bought mine, about three years ago.  But back then it was marked for $612.  

If I find one NIB, for $450 plus tax or shipping and transfer in the next month.  And I prove it with a receipt, will you reimburse me for finding it at that price?

Reimburse you for what?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#27]
a little off topic, but how hard would it be to get a pair of mil-specs with consecutive serial numbers?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My apologies.  I didn't know a simple Mil-Spec with a light rail was so special nowadays.

It's not the gun itself that's special, but what you can build it into. You can make it the most badassed operator out the because you're not stuck with the silly forward cocking serrations or factory type sites or beavertail. It's a blank canvass so to speak. But to each his own as they say...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
a little off topic, but how hard would it be to get a pair of mil-specs with consecutive serial numbers?

Tell your dealer to order them that way. There are Mil-Spec's(even the parkerized .38 Super) all over Gunbroker. I saw a 10mm Linkless on there not too long ago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I got mine about 4 years ago. I saw one the other day for $550 @ the fun store. The hard part to find is the good holsters;)

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I have seen them for around $475. I paid $480 for mind a couple months ago. What a gun. I just love it. http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3219/springfield45pb9151lssincaseww.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top