Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2006 7:34:56 PM EDT
Lets say I have ~1K to spend on (a) handgun(s) -

do I get a basic milspec fullsize and a basic compact to carry or do I get one semi-custom with everything (e.g. TRP loaded/operator/TLE/RL, etc...)

[no I won't carry a fullsize, yes I do have a 38 snubbie if I only get one 1911)
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You will only be carrying or shooting one at a time. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

and not to stir the pot or anything on teh semi-custom vs custom, but I asked legal transfers what he could get me a RRA basic 1911 for and its only a few franklins more than TRP/Operator/light rail....  is it really worth that extra coin?  (and no light rail or night sights!)
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and not to stir the pot or anything on teh semi-custom vs custom, but I asked legal transfers what he could get me a RRA basic 1911 for and its only a few franklins more than TRP/Operator/light rail....  is it really worth that extra coin?  (and no light rail or night sights!)

RRA 1911 is an in between custom. Go standard TRP/Warrior or go full custom. That is the only way it should be done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
semi-custom, unless you can bear to have the mil-spec remain mil-spec....then 2 guns is (usually) better than one
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
People who own Mc1911s long for the day when they can have a Semi custom. People that have Semi customs long for the day when they can get another semi custom.

Unless disposable income like this happens often enough, I suggest you put a few more dollars together and seize upon the opportunity. For most, the brass ring only comes around so many times.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
People who own Mc1911s long for the day when they can have a Semi custom. People that have Semi customs long for the day when they can get another semi custom.

Unless disposable income like this happens often enough, I suggest you put a few more dollars together and seize upon the opportunity. For most, the brass ring only comes around so many times.

truth is I have about 2K to spend on a new arsenal (sold nearly all my guns in the past year)...

I could spend most of it on a 1911, but that leaves me with bubkiss for a rifle or two.....
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=207752

(and not as if you cared, but my perfect 'when I have the money' setup will be two
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a everything on it commader size and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

truth is I have about 2K to spend on a new arsenal (sold nearly all my guns in the past year)...

I seem to remember you posting about buying $50k worth of guns in one year, and  now you've sold most of 'em?  Sounds like you should spend some of the money on a financial advisor.

Oh, and go for the RRA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to remember you posting about buying $50k worth of guns in one year, and  now you've sold most of 'em?  Sounds like you should spend some of the money on a financial advisor.

Oh, and go for the RRA.

yup.  sold em all.  I have a vision of my future arsenal that is KISS, small and scalable for when I get more cash:  one custom full size 1911, one offcier frame/commander slide 1911 for carry, one lightweight KISS AR (prolly cmmg 14.5 +vortex lightweight) , and one  multi barrel AR for 18" barrels in 6.8 and 5.56 (ordering a VIS end of week).

I want:
two-three calibers max (6.8/556/45),
small amount of platforms - 5-6 total,
I will not buy a gun that another one of my guns can't use the same mags in,  
and will spend more money on LOOOOOOOOOOOTS of mags, ammo and practice.

(the only exception being a remmy 870 SBS that I already have at my class III dealer waiting for paperwork)
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 4:07:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and go for the RRA.

yup.  sold em all.  I have a vision of my future arsenal that is KISS, small and scalable for when I get more cash:  one custom full size 1911, one offcier frame/commander slide 1911 for carry, one lightweight KISS AR (prolly cmmg 14.5 +vortex lightweight) , and one  multi barrel AR for 18" barrels in 6.8 and 5.56 (ordering a VIS end of week).

I want:

(the only exception being a remmy 870 SBS that I already have at my class III dealer waiting for paperwork)

Understandable.  But don't forget a 308 bolt gun and maybe a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and go for the RRA.

I want:

considered and rejected.  I do not want to getinto that.  way too expensive and adds another caliber (And an expensive one mind you!) to my future collection.  as it is I have a K31 in my closet that can outshoot me so I do have that aspect covered if the urge ariuses!

(I fear 308, cuase if I get into that I'll probably get an 8-900 dolalr bolt guna dn 1500 dollar semi auto, and then I'll want XM118, and good glass and I'm broke again.  with Mk262 and 6.8 I'm already using a caliber that can go further and more accurate than I ever could.....)
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Perhaps. I recently witnessed one person training with two guns simultaneously. A 1911 in a thigh holster, and right above it on the belt, a Glock.

Quoted:
I asked legal transfers what he could get me a RRA basic 1911 for and its only a few franklins more than TRP/Operator/light rail....  is it really worth that extra coin?  (and no light rail or night sights!)

An RRA with a pinned front sight seems to be the best value in 1911s at this time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps. I recently witnessed one person training with two guns simultaneously. A 1911 in a thigh holster, and right above it on the belt, a Glock.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quoted:
An RRA with a pinned front sight seems to be the best value in 1911s at this time.

legal transfers has a wicked price - but it doesn't have night sights or a light rail....  everything else is greta.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE: legal transfers price on teh rRA basic carry may be too good for me to pass up.  the only hold up is that they say no subs.  I told legal that if they could pop on a short trigger (extra fee or not) I'm pretty much decided.

It's just that every afficiando I talk to says RRA base model over my other two options:

SA PC9105L with ext mag well, ambi safeties, 'humped' grip safety, adj night sights, checkering, light rail, light trigger,  yada yada for 1200 shipped

Kimber TLE/RLII with night sights, internal extractor, checkering, light rail, and  ext mag well, short trigger, and ed brown safety for 1120 shipped

or the RRA for more than either of those (don't want to print legal's price here, but WOW its less than you think) but with some key features that I want that the kimber and SA each have some of but not all:

1)  the high-cut front strap - heck its even higher than ed browns.  I need that for my riglie hands.  
2) the slide serrations I like, the thin, sharpish 'old school' front and rear.  HELL YES.
3) std recoil system
4) the choice of checkering.  tell you teh truth, I'm no fan of the 30lpi's I've had and can't wait to try something different (haven't decided which yet)
5) 3.5" trigger pull that I know will break like the proverbial glass rod
6) the chance to own a pistol guaranteed to shoot better than I ever could
7) no ILS, firing pin safety, etc.  While I DO want that on my carry gun, I do not want it on this one.  (and I'm not even THINKING Of another 1911 for a loooooong time If I splurge for this puppy.)
8) the 'humped' grip safety.  don't like teh kimber style or the pyramid style.  

only thing is I need a short trigger and thin grips.  The grips and bushingsI can do myself (VZ ultra thins or CMC ultra thins), the trigger I want done by manufacturer to keep that glass rod intact....

(one other issue is the lack of night sights and light rail.  I'v decided to get the ultra-premo pistol first and have vials of tritium and a dawson rail added when I can afford it. - all by RRA of course)

will keep the thread updated.

over budget as usual

I've also decided on my rifle choice by the way.  well, teh uppe rat least.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
UPDATE: legal transfers price on teh rRA basic carry may be too good for me to pass up.  the only hold up is that they say no subs.  I told legal that if they could pop on a short trigger (extra fee or not) I'm pretty much decided.

www.rockriverarms.com/images/pbc.gif

It's just that every afficiando I talk to says RRA base model over my other two options:

SA PC9105L with ext mag well, ambi safeties, 'humped' grip safety, adj night sights, checkering, light rail, light trigger,  yada yada for 1200 shipped

Kimber TLE/RLII with night sights, internal extractor, checkering, light rail, and  ext mag well, short trigger, and ed brown safety for 1120 shipped

or the RRA for more than either of those (don't want to print legal's price here, but WOW its less than you think) but with some key features that I want that the kimber and SA each have some of but not all:

1)  the high-cut front strap - heck its even higher than ed browns.  I need that for my riglie hands.  
2) the slide serrations I like, the thin, sharpish 'old school' front and rear.  HELL YES.
3) std recoil system
4) the choice of checkering.  tell you teh truth, I'm no fan of the 30lpi's I've had and can't wait to try something different (haven't decided which yet)
5) 3.5" trigger pull that I know will break like the proverbial glass rod
6) the chance to own a pistol guaranteed to shoot better than I ever could
7) no ILS, firing pin safety, etc.  While I DO want that on my carry gun, I do not want it on this one.  (and I'm not even THINKING Of another 1911 for a loooooong time If I splurge for this puppy.)
8) the 'humped' grip safety.  don't like teh kimber style or the pyramid style.  

only thing is I need a short trigger and thin grips.  The grips and bushingsI can do myself (VZ ultra thins or CMC ultra thins), the trigger I want done by manufacturer to keep that glass rod intact....

(one other issue is the lack of night sights and light rail.  I'v decided to get the ultra-premo pistol first and have vials of tritium and a dawson rail added when I can afford it. - all by RRA of course)

will keep the thread updated.

over budget as usual

I've also decided on my rifle choice by the way.  well, teh uppe rat least.

I know they say "no subs", but I believe RRA will do their best to accomodate your wants.  You have chosen wisely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
what do you say about this:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=389315

Wow thats nice!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow thats nice!

only a grand less than list and nib... I sent an email already....
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Jump on it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#22]
If you would, IM me with legal transfers price. I might be making a jump here soon...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and go for the RRA.

I want:

considered and rejected.  I do not want to getinto that.  way too expensive and adds another caliber (And an expensive one mind you!) to my future collection.  as it is I have a K31 in my closet that can outshoot me so I do have that aspect covered if the urge ariuses!

(I fear 308, cuase if I get into that I'll probably get an 8-900 dolalr bolt guna dn 1500 dollar semi auto, and then I'll want XM118, and good glass and I'm broke again.  with Mk262 and 6.8 I'm already using a caliber that can go further and more accurate than I ever could.....)

any american who owns either $10k in guns or 10 guns, at least one should be a garand and at least one should be a 1911
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
okay is there a website for leagal transfers?  I gotta see the RRA everyone is talking about and how much its goin for.

edit
** http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rra1911.cfm?page=rra **

is that it?  If so I didn't know RRA made 1911s let alone $2k ones.  How is that the best value in 1911s?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]
guys just IM or email legal transfers....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=86
AR15.COM :: Forums :: Legal Transfers
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Personally unless I was planning on geting into 3 gun or other competition I'd get a lower priced 1911. They are fabulous weapons if purchased from a bigger maker. Unless you need it, a massively expensive tacticool 1911 is a bit of  an overkill. People were defending themselves with 1911s long before the uber customs came around. I only mention this since you seem to be trying to limit yourself to a budget but then go on to say you want "overkill" in an 1911.

Why get light rails on a 1911? In my mind attaching stuff to a handgun is not a great idea it totally counters the idea of a handgun. If you want to illuminate a target or an area at night don't limit yourself to where the gun is pointed. you want a light that you can shine down in front of you to illuminate the target, the ceiling, down a hall, under the stairs etc. To me in a HD situation the plan is sit and defend not SWAT crawl through the house. If they want my stereo fine take it and go but there is a "line in the sand" in the house and I'll defend that.

To me a light on a pistol is a cool billy add on not a tactical benefit and certainly not an accuracy gainer. To me its better to spend money on bullets and range time than add ons. Tis your money though go as big as you want.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

To me a light on a pistol is a cool billy add on not a tactical benefit and certainly not an accuracy gainer. To me its better to spend money on bullets and range time than add ons. Tis your money though go as big as you want.

I'm not dead set on a light.  If I get a RRA or wilson for the prices I'm getting, I'll get a dawson rail put on later.  It's not a requirement for me, but it is something I want eventually.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy the best Gov't length 1911 for YOU that you can afford to buy and be done with it. If that means waiting a long while for a custom build, then fine, that beats buying and selling guns over and over.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Buy the best Gov't length 1911 for YOU that you can afford to buy and be done with it. If that means waiting a long while for a custom build, then fine, that beats buying and selling guns over and over.

who me?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

who me?

Yes, we all noticed ....
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

who me?

Yes, we all noticed ....

I consider myself a renter, not an owner.  I'm looking to change that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Pete, at Legal Transfers, has good prices.  That is where I got my AR upper from.

Personally I'd go 30 LPI,  20 is too sharp for my tastes. And you can change the trigger yourself easily enough.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

who me?

Yes, we all noticed ....

I consider myself a renter, not an owner.  I'm looking to change that.

I was the same way.  Was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top