Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:58:41 PM EDT
Shot around 2200 rounds in a 3day handgun course this past week.

I shot this gun for the class. I brought around 15 wilson mags for the class. Some new, some used, and some REALLY used.

I was having some problems right towards the end of the first day, so the round count was around 900.

I thought it was the magazines, and almost positive towards the end of TD1.  I was shooting blazer brass, which right before class, was getting some serious neutral to negative reviews on the gun forums. I dont know the lot # i was shooting, and I dont know if there was ever a lot # that was tagged as  problematic.

I switched to some reman. hollowpoint reloads that my instructor was using, not one problem. Gave him some of my blazer brass to run in his wilson, and he couldn't get through a magazine without having some early slide lock/stove pipes.

Although, thats all the ammo I had. So I had to work with what I had.  I just made sure to keep things cleaner than usual and keep an eye on it.

TD2 and TD3 was better, especially TD3, I dont think I had any malfunctions. Blazer is some realy dirty shit though. I could feel my trigger becoming sticky around the 1600-1700 round count..

So to sum, lessons learned:

1.) use good mags
2.) be strict with your cleaning routine when you take a class
3.) when you buy cheap ammo, you get what you pay for
4.) tap/rack is your friend and should be second nature
5.) front sight trigger squeeze
6.) a pistol is a substandard weapon, no doubt. But, once given some pointers and motivation, dinging human sized pepper poppers at 80+ yards is doable. And VERY rewarding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kick-ass, hope you had an awesome time, despite whatever setbacks you may have had.

Thanks neil, the rifle class and that situation  w/my SPR will be in another AAR .

I learned alot about the 1911 during the course, realised that learning how to fully strip the weapon down does nothing but increase your knowledge of the weapon, but helps you understand the parts that should be cleaned on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You will have to show me when you get here! I've peaked over SGB's shoulder a few times, but have been afriad to really get my habds dirty! SGB was just in the other day and has convinced me to start carrying one or two really, really nice 1911's. Maybe you can help me with that too!

rog, will do. I have done it before, or more like 'assisted' when I first got my wilson last year. And just watched. This time Bryan made me put it back together..and first time I wasn't nervous about putting a scratch on something. Gun definitely has some wear on it after class...

After doing it though, i do understand the weapon alot more, and have alot more respect

I was wandering...after you had the Gunsite 1911, if you were going to get some wilson/brown's in? Especially after that SA Pro slipped into SGB's hands
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you go for  your class? And how much $$$ did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where did you go for  your class? And how much $$$ did you pay for it?

Its work in progress, but i'll have it done soon...the AAR is here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top