Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 6:06:05 AM EDT
I have a Kimber TLE II, I’d like a Commander sized 1911.

Is the frame the same size (dust cover length) between a ‘government’ and a ‘commander’?

Should I even attempt to replace the slide or am I looking for trouble by even thinking about this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
commander frame = Govt frame

ETA: if you like you like. It would be cheaper to get a commander frame and slap it on. To do it right however, Slide + proper smithing for good slide-to-frame fit is somewhat close to replacing the pistol.

I would keep the Kimber as is and if the wild hare jumps up the ass to get commander get it new or consider a compact (Commander slide with an officer frame for excellent CCW). You just don't get much in terms of concealment benefit for the chop of slide on a commander.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
sti makes one the same size, every other manuf has a shorter dust cover on a commander frame.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. Funds are low right now, I just wanted to see what the possibilities were.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Government, left, Commander right

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a commander sized gun.

As Hobbs illustated, the frames are different.

Colt uses a 4 1/4" slide.

Most other makers use a 4" slide.

I wouldn't go shorter than 4".  As you shorten the slide, you have less sight radius and less slide travel, which allows the new round less time to to feed from the magazine.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top