Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 8:24:15 PM EDT
Took the new Kimber to the range today and put 29 rounds through it (would've shot the whole 100 round WWB value box had I not left it on the kitchen counter when I was loading the truck...) and when I picked up my brass I noticed that nearly all of them had a parabola shaped discoloration on one side (centered on the dent/scratch from the extractor). It would seem to me that the pattern shown is caused by hot gasses escaping around the casing. Is this normal, or something to worry about?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to worry about.  Probably from a rather light load failing to fully expand the case, resulting in an imperfect seal to the chamber wall, and allowing blow-by.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:24:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Normal nothing to worry about.

Your guess is correct the brass is not expanding enough to seal the chamber. Hotter loads show less of a ring.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]
cool. thanks guys. Guess I'm just being a "paranoid first time parent".
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]
no biggie....very normal......
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
No biggie.. but just in case, you might want to change out your recoil spring...

OOPS.. Just saw where you said... "New" kimber... never mind...  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting that they are ALL centered over the extractor claw mark. Possibly the chamber might be a bit out of round, a bit big, [oversize] or it is unlocking a bit early. While I DO see it occasionally, I usually don't see  it as pronounced as that in the same exact area. WWB is not really downloaded at all, and isa pretty close to spec so the brass possibly might be a bit hard also.

My biggest concern it that it will, after a long shooting session start to build up carbon and cause problems with the fresh round going into the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top