Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 2:57:55 PM EDT
Why is my brass being dented like this and how can I fix it?
Sometimes there are no dents, sometimes a slight dent,
and sometime a moderate dent.

Colt  MKIV Series 70 (bought around 1977)
Remington UMC 230 gr bulk ammo

Minor dent

Moderate dent

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Lower and flare the ejection port.  Should help.

Travis
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Those dents won't hurt a THING if you reload. Won't cut the life of the brass down a bit. It is very common on any 1911 that does not have a lowered/flared ejection port. The SA GI model beats the hell out of my brass, does not hurt a thing.

Just shoot the bugger!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Brass is hitting the slide. If the weapon works, I would not worry about those dents.

No need to "fix" what is not broken.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, the casings are hitting the ejection port as they get flung thru it.  Lowering and flaring will help prevent this.  The cases in your case don't look like they'de be a problem as far as reloading the brass.  I have heard the opinion that if the cases are hitting the ejection port, it may at some point cause an ejection relating problem.  If you have shot the pistol extensively and never had that happen, it may never happen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, I finally made a first post that others seem to agree with!

Travis
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone teach that guy how to clean a gun!  O'h the humanity
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Just more proof that when the 1911 is left in its natural state it will still function.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top