Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:28:11 PM EDT
The gun functions fine, when shooting. This only happens when I close the slide after inserting a fresh magazine. I have to push the slide by hand the rest of the way to battery. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
How many rounds through this pistol?

Enouph lube between the slide and frame?

Are you releasing the slide by the catch lever?

Is any other part of your hand contacting the slide while you are releasing it?

Have you tried to pull the slide back rather than using the slide catch?

Has the recoil spring been replaced?  If so what is the load rating?

Are the magazines brand new?

We need more answers before we can help you, or at least point you in the correct direction.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How are you closing the slide? Are you "helping" it down or letting it go on its own?

My money's on your suspicion

If the pistol is cycling just fine, then chances are YOU'RE causing it.

Slap the mag in, Draw the slide all the way back and release your "pinch" on the slide. It SHOULD snap forward fully if you are "riding the slide" (easing it forward gently while pinching the slide) then a perfectly good pistol will do what you describe.

If you are experiencing this hangup when

1. the slide's locked back and you are engaging the slide stop (sending the slide forward on the loaded pistol)  

2. you have performed the instructions at the top (those printed before #1)

your pistol likely has feed issues and 9/10 times it's with HP in a non-modern or defective 1911.

My Remington Rand would fire & cycle Fed Hydra shok circa 1990s , but it would often hang up on the first round in the manner in which you described. (1990s HS was not as smooth and round as it is these days)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys. This is a used Series 70 Gov. model. The recoil spring is original and has a free length of 6.30". I did not see any lude on anything when I disassembled it. Can you give me advice on what to lube, and how much, and type of lube? Thanks again. I am new to this type of firearm.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds as if you are riding the slide back to battery. Either release via slide release or pull the slide back and let it go foward by itself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replys. This is a used Series 70 Gov. model. The recoil spring is original and has a free length of 6.30". I did not see any lude on anything when I disassembled it. Can you give me advice on what to lube, and how much, and type of lude? Thanks again. I am new to this type of firearm.

Drop or 2 of oil on each of the frame rails, and in the hammer mech. I just put one drop of FP10 or the likes on each side of the hammer and let it run down. lil drop on the swinging link and slide release. The rest just lightly wipe down with an oily rag or the likes is all I do. If you don't know when the spring was last changed, order a wolff or other high quality recoil spring [should also come with a new firing pin spring] and install it.

Start out with known new springs. If you have no problems with it working correctly, DON'T DICK WITH IT!!!!!!!! Shoot it and understand it before you start messing with it. And you WILL mess with it, sooner or later, it;s the 1911 way. They are the Holly Carb of the handgun world.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]
A. Depends on what type of ammo you are shooting. May need a feed ramp adjustment. Riding the slide forward is bad. This may aggravate a minor feed problem.

B. Previous lube hints are right on. Besides the pivot points, if it looks shiney (anywhere), add a drop of lube.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If reloads, they can be the wrong size for your chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top