Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 7:22:44 PM EDT
The NIB Rock Island Armory 1911s all over Gunbroker.com for $297...

I mean seriously... A NEW 1911?  Talk me out of buying one please!

ETA:  I've been 'window shopping' 1911s for years, but cant seem to... eh... pull the trigger (punn intended).  A deal this good may just be what it takes to get me to buy my first 1911.  My only concern is... Will this gun be such a piece of crap that I will judge all other 1911s as comparable?  I don't want to get a piece of shit gun just b/c it's cheap.  I'd rather buy ammo, or other accessories than buy a piece of shit gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price there is nothing seriously wrong with it. Only small things that can be easily worked out my rear site was drifted to the left by 2 mm threw my aim of so i got some trijicon night sites. I was having some fte issues I put in a full length solid guide rod. The other day I put 850 rds through it after those 2 upgrades and polishing the ramp it ran flawlessy using WC mags It didnt even jam through 120 rounds of Federal Hydras JHP and about 100rds GDJHP they didnt even slow them down. and if you get it check out brownells.com they are selling the 10 round mags the same price as the 8
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not so sure if I can talk you out of buig one or not.  I can tell you why I have a Phillipene pistol.  Mine is a CD.  I bought it knowing that they are spotty at best as far as quality and reliabilty.  Being the tinkerer that I am, I decided to take the plunge and bought a officers size.  Out of the box it ran about 70%.  I tore into it and replaced parts with some quality parts and did a nice tune up to it.  Fitted a springer take off barrel to it.  Total into the pistol is just under 400.  It is my ccw.  If I ever have to give up my pistol in the event of having to use it in a self defense scenario, I am not out one of my high doller pistol's.  It took a lot of work to get it to run 100% with hallow points but it does now.
I will caution you that the one I was able to tinker with was out of spec in some areas that had to be addressed before I was able to fit the parts that was wanted.  The pistol that I worked on from RIA to it's credit ran 100% out of the box with any ammo we fed it.  Only thing that we did was feild strip and clean for a couple sessions totalling about 700 rounds.
hope this helps.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 5" GI model.  For the first ~100 - 125 rounds or so, the slide would lock back with the last round either sitting loose on top of the feed lips or it would be ejected unfired.  After that, the gun has run 100% for the past 700 rounds or so.  Rock Island also has terrific custmer service from what I've read.  I've never had to use it, however.

I haven't attempted to do any sort of modifcations to it nor do I plan to.  Some people complain of hammer bite so if you have meaty hands, you'll probably either want to put a beaver tail on it or file down the hammer spur so you don't get pinched.

I bought mine for the same reason you are considering it.  I wanted to try out the 1911 platform but I didn't want to drop that much money in case I found that I didn't enjoy shooting them.  I really like mine for what it is.  It not a gun that will be a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation.  That said, it has sold me on the 1911 platform and my next handgun purchase will most likely be another 1911 of higher quality.

I vote, give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote give it a try as well.

I have a 5" CD picked it up for a little more than that.  I had some early feeding problem, that have since cleared up after about 1000 rounds.  I filed down my front sight a bit as I was consistantly shooting low.  May be the pistol may be me.....it's my first handgun.

My factory magazines work just fine.  I picked up some metalforms that are absolutely awful they feed fine but won't drop free.......
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote try it and let us know how it works out for you. Post some pics, a range report, ya know the whole nine yards.

I am kinda getting turned off of 1911 forums for the simple fact the only threads I see are "Here is my Yobo" or "Just bought my $1,000.00 dollar 1911, who should I send it to?". I consider myself an average wage earning American, and no way will I ever be able to save the kind of money the "Kool Aid Crew" is paying for their 1911s.  Flame if you want, but it's the truth. Atleast I could afford a preban Colt AR during the ban, as it is, I would pay more for a new Colt series 70 1911.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a custom gun, nor do I claim to have one on TV.  Neither did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

But, I would NEVER buy one of those pistols.  SA GI , and Mil-Spec models are a few bucks more and are at the very least within spec and have a no hassle lifetime warranty.  Frame and slide are high quality steel as well.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#8]
So basically, what I'm gathering is this...

By the time I get the thing upgraded/fixed to where it's working properly, I would have spent enough to have bought a better 'in spec' 1911 from the get go.  I like to tinker, but I'm honestly not much of a gunsmith.  I don't know if I'd have the time or patience to have a gun that needs a lot of work.

Also, I saw a few of you mention the term "CD".  What does that mean?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Charles Daly.  Another Phillipene pistol.  Do not get me wrong abou tthe specs.  The specs that were out was not a major issue.  I was able to get it going.  If I was going that route again i believe I would look into a base springer model.  They are not US forgings either.  Do not forget it seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to these pistols.  Some are good to go from the get go adn some need a bit of tweeking.  I will say that if anything look into a lot of hard ball ammo to go out and have fun.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no exp. with these , but quite a bit of exp with cheap guns

Look at the "street prices" for 1911 types on the auction boards.
A $100 saving on a NIB  pistol is a LOT , and usually means lower quality.

I bought a Springer GI 1911 for $400 , no problems - love it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My RIA has been perfect so far with over 1000 rounds through it. Granted, all I have put through it so far is Wolf 230gr ball ammo but it eats them like candy. I have seen many more good reviews than bad, and it amazes me how many "I've never owned one but....." posts I see. A lot of the 'smiths here do not like them but for a cheap plinker they are great.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wouldn't waste my Money, but that's just me.

I believe that while Price doesn't guarantee quality a smart consumer still gets what they pay for.

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a reliable 1911 you just need to know what you're looking for.

A man wearing a timex and packing a Mil Spec loaded with 230 ball is as well armed as the guy with the rolex and a Yost #1.

Their differences are a matter of taste.

That is one of the best lines I have ever read here. Very well said.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're an experienced "1911 guy" and are getting one to experiment, fine.  But don't get a RIA as your first 1911.  You want your first 1911 to be something nice, not something you "settled" for.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Ivan Walcott from Armscor is a good guy and he'll take care of you if you get a lemon.  I've talked to him and/or emailed him a couple times over the years and he's a stand-up dude.

If you check over at 1911forum.com, seems like poeple have better luck with the RIA than they do with Kimber and the new "tactical" extractor.

With that said, I would recommend finding a Springfield WWII or Milspec if you want a cheapo 1911.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#16]
www.m1911.org has a whole area for RIA/Charles Dalys.

All I can say is, the one I shot did better than my Llama I had at the time.

The RIAs I have seen were ~$340 new.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

sorry...that's just kinda funny.  Seriously, spend a little more and get a SA GI or Milspec or better yet, get a Colt NRM.   You'll be glad you did.  Also, look at it this way; if you get one and decide the 1911 isn't for you, you'll ALWAYS be able to sell the Colt or SA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.m1911.org has a whole area for RIA/Charles Dalys.

The RIAs I have seen were ~$340 new.

Well, that's really not hard to do...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My RIA has been perfect so far with over 1000 rounds through it. Granted, all I have put through it so far is Wolf 230gr ball ammo but it eats them like candy. I have seen many more good reviews than bad, and it amazes me how many "I've never owned one but....." posts I see. A lot of the 'smiths here do not like them but for a cheap plinker they are great.

I've never owned a Trabant either (see picture) but I KNOW it won't drive as well as or even close to a similarly sized Toyota.  So there goes your argument.....

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A man wearing a timex and packing a Mil Spec loaded with 230 ball is as well armed as the guy with the rolex and a Yost #1.

This is why I like going to the range with Steve. He says cool shit for me to use later and it makes me sound like I know what I'm doing.

I had a RIA full size for about 6 months. It was well broken in, and never had a single malf, never gave me any problems, and shot exatly to point of aim. I feel that it was worth every penny of the $200 I paid for it.

That said, I never did ANYTHING to it. I only shot ball ammo through it, and it was never carried. It is my understanding that the RIAs are not normally held to exacting tolerances. Mine looked it.

I think if you want it as a range toy, want to leave it bone stock and play with it, it's a decent choice. If you want to make it into something else, buy a Springfield. You'll be better off.

Oh yeah, look for one cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Gunsmith buddy of mine bought one of their 4" models for $315.

Fit and finish are just this side of okay, and the grips suck. On the flip side, I've yet to see it jam and it's more accurate than his SA "Loaded" 5".
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Gunsmith buddy of mine bought one of their 4" models for $315.

Fit and finish are just this side of okay, and the grips suck. On the flip side, I've yet to see it jam and it's more accurate than his SA "Loaded" 5".

Oh , Hell that changes everything , I'm goin out to trade my Seiko for a Timex
right now!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
You get what you pay for....

Id rather wait a year to have the extra money to buy a quality 1911 instead of settling for something which will be nothing but problems.

Save up and buy a S/A they have some great entry level 1911's which you can build off of as time goes on and you get more money..
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]
"I've never owned a Trabant either (see picture) but I KNOW it won't drive as well as or even close to a similarly sized Toyota"

That may be true but at least the person who actually owned a Trabant is QUALIFIED to remark on it. If you have not owned and and/or used something you should not be posting an opinion about it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]

I've never owned a Trabant either (see picture) but I KNOW it won't drive as well as or even close to a similarly sized Toyota.  So there goes your argument.....

Isn't this like compairing a Rock Island to an STI Edge?  

I hate it when cars are thrown out whenever cheap guns come up.  "Do you run 87 octane in your sportscar" is one of my favorites!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"I've never owned a Trabant either (see picture) but I KNOW it won't drive as well as or even close to a similarly sized Toyota"

That may be true but at least the person who actually owned a Trabant is QUALIFIED to remark on it. If you have not owned and and/or used something you should not be posting an opinion about it.

I'm stepping away from this one. JohnRippert obviously adores his RIA  and can't be convinced otherwise.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, "adores" is a bit stronger than I would say but yes, I am well satisfied with my RIA. Since neither of us is going to change the others mind hopefully we can just agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Save a little more and you can get a Springfield Mil-Spec. A lot less chance of an issue I think. Worth the extra $100-$200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top