Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:53:31 AM EDT
I have a SA loaded 1911. I have shot plenty of ball ammo and hollow points out of it and had zero problems. I just loaded up a few hundred rounds of semi wadcutters for it and am unsure what to expect. I ran a few mags through it by hand just to see if it would chamber without trouble and had no probs. Frankly I'm not expecting any problems but thought that the die hard paper punchers might have some hints as to whether the SWC round is more inherently prone to feed issues. I also plan to shoot some through my Colt compact.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I loaded 2,000 rounds of 200 grain SWC the other day. I shoot them in a full size 1911 and various Commander types. They function well in all the pistols. The only magazine I use for this function testing is the Wilson 47D.

I expect your ammo will be fine.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The only problem I've had with semi wads is if the bullets weren't lubed they tend to hit the feed ramp and hang up. If I'm using USGI magazines I only load five per mag because the angle of the follower makes the top two rounds nose dive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
......which is why colt packages the gold cup (mine anyway) with reduced power recoil spring...and reduced power magazine.......however..i believe the gunny guys here are probably right....but if you do have problems...you might want to try the weaker mag/spring route...i have a officers that i bought used...and the guy gave me 250 rounds of speer swc`s...it spits anything i put in it with no failures...maybe a little bit less pressure in the mag...if you have a hangup...but with good ammo i don`t think you will have any trouble...as has been said...some food for thought if you do......
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Dad and I have been shooting SWCs in our SA, Kimbers and Colts for years.
The only problem I had was when trying a 170gr bullet. The tip was just too pointed, and I have no problems with the 185gr and 200gr SWC bullets.
The manufacturer may make a difference. We use Magnus from Georgia now, and have no problems.
I would think a failure to feed would be caused from a mag rather than the ramp, unless it happens on every round from several different mags.
Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had good luck with lubed 200 grain lead SWC in several different 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i noticed when i load my 200 gr SWC with an OAL any longer than say 1.24 i have FTF here and there.  wi was loading them around 1.22ish and having really good results and then went a in a little more with the crimp with no sucess.  with my Kimber, it loves 1.22.  hope that helps.  

randy
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i noticed when i load my 200 gr SWC with an OAL any longer than say 1.24 i have FTF here and there.  wi was loading them around 1.22ish and having really good results and then went a in a little more with the crimp with no sucess.  with my Kimber, it loves 1.22.  hope that helps.  

randy

...always found it strange how that length affects some guns.......but not others...hhhhhmm
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
USGI mags may not have the correct feed angle for wadcutters. SWC tend to require a different feed angle than  the 'Hardball' rounds the USGI mags are designed for...

The hardball has a big round nose, that won't catch on anything. The SWC will hang up on the shoulder by the case mouth, when fed from a USGI mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top