Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:25 PM EDT
Added one in blued to my stable of 1911s.

Slide to frame fit is very good, as is the barrel fit.  
Barrel bushing is easily turned w/o a bushing wrench, but not loose.

They did a great job with the dehorn.

The recoil spring cap is staked to retain the recoil spring.  Nice touch.

Took it completely apart and it's sitting solvent now.

Forged parts:  slide, frame, barrel, barrel link, barrel bushing, thumb safety, slide stop, firing pin stop, mainspring housing

MIM parts:  hammer (McCormick), sear, disconnector, mag catch, grip safety (S&A)

Notable items:  Heinie front sight, Novak rear, S&A grip safety, short trigger, thin grips and bushings, non-ambi extended safety, vertical serrations on frontstrap, dehorned, the new Colt feed ramp design, and $100 coupon toward a Gunsite class.

Future plans include swapping the Novak rear for a Heinie, and having the magwell opened up more.  

All in all, a very nicely done pistol for a factory gun.

Pics to come.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
pics would be great. Don't forget to tell us how it shoots.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always had a soft spot for the GSP series pistols.  I thought however, that the hammer and sear were not MIM.  I know CMC uses a lot of MIM parts, but the hammer and sear would concern me a bit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#4]
They are MIM.  Checked 'em for the mold marks.

I don't like MIM, but, I have yet to see a MIM hammer or sear fail in 10 yrs of IPSC shooting and having shot with hundreds and hundreds of guys, many of who use Kimbers and Springfields.

I am an instructor for my agency and we allow 1911.  I am also a Colt 1911 armorer.  Have yet to see a hammer or sear fail.

Extractors, barrel bushings, barrel links, mag catches, slide stops, ejectors, and firing pin stops I have all fail when made from MIM.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are MIM.  Checked 'em for the mold marks.

I don't like MIM, but, I have yet to see a MIM hammer or sear fail in 10 yrs of IPSC shooting and having shot with hundreds and hundreds of guys, many of who use Kimbers and Springfields.

I am an instructor for my agency and we allow 1911.  I am also a Colt 1911 armorer.  Have yet to see a hammer or sear fail.

Extractors, barrel bushings, barrel links, mag catches, slide stops, ejectors, and firing pin stops I have all fail when made from MIM.

That's good to know.  I had a CMC thumb safety that failed before it was even fitted.  I've had a real fear of MIM parts from them ever since.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I only wish that they high-cut the front strap a little more on these and offered them without the front slide serrations.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I, too, broke a CMC thumb safety (ambi).  Was separating the two sides after taking it out of the package when one of the legs of the female dovetail broke.  

I had used only Brown ambis prior to this, and after.  They hold up very well,

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
See the below for my review

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=28&t=28343
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top