Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 6:21:08 PM EDT
Anyone here have any knowledge of essex 1911s?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of info are you looking for?  

Essex is a maker of frames and slides.  Guns build from these parts can be good or bad, depending on the builder.  Most I have seen are usually poor.  Also, Essex has a somewhat bad reputation for quality control.  Their quality control is better now than it was several years ago but old prejudices are hard to kill.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I was thinking about buiilding a 1911 and using an Essex frame and slide.  I was just wondering if this would be a good route to take.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Bheh. If you are going to spend the money to build a 1911 up, do it right and use Caspian or someone with a higher level of quality. Essex is the Yugo of the parts world. They'll work but they will require lots of work to make them work. Resale will be ZIP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bheh. If you are going to spend the money to build a 1911 up, do it right and use Caspian or someone with a higher level of quality. Essex is the Yugo of the parts world. They'll work but they will require lots of work to make them work. Resale will be ZIP.

I have a buddy who had a very nice 1911 built from an Essex frame and slide.  He had Virgil Tripp do all the work and Virgil used a Kart barrel, Bomar rear, etc.  The gun looks good and shoots good.  But Billy would have been much better off spending an extra $150 on Caspian parts.  As it is now, he has $1,000 in a $600 pistol.  

I shouldn't be saying anything, as I have made the same mistake more than once.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a buddy who had a very nice 1911 built from an Essex frame and slide.  He had Virgil Tripp do all the work and Virgil used a Kart barrel, Bomar rear, etc.  The gun looks good and shoots good.  But Billy would have been much better off spending an extra $150 on Caspian parts.  As it is now, he has $1,000 in a $600 pistol.  

I shouldn't be saying anything, as I have made the same mistake more than once.

Me too, me too, nothing like getting into the 1911 world and starting out with a AO POS jammatic. Sunk mucho dinaro into that clunker to run, finally dumped it after I got it to work right but still hated it. I don't buy cheap 1911 parts or cheap 1911s after that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Me too, me too, nothing like getting into the 1911 world and starting out with a AO POS jammatic. Sunk mucho dinaro into that clunker to run, finally dumped it after I got it to work right but still hated it. I don't buy cheap 1911 parts or cheap 1911s after that.

Hell, I still do it all the time.  I'll have to post some pictures of my $700 Norinco!  It's nice but it's still "Brand X!"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the info.  It has helpd me from making a mistake.  I guess I will go the route of a SA mil-spec and have a beavertail installed.  I truly hate hammer bite!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thank you for the info.  It has helpd me from making a mistake.  I guess I will go the route of a SA mil-spec and have a beavertail installed.  I truly hate hammer bite!!!!

Depending on what you want, it may be cheaper to buy a Loaded.  The Loaded has a beavertail and better sights, plus a few other "go fast" parts.

On another note, one of the guys I shoot IPSC with bought a Sigarms XO Revolution yesterday.  He paid $685 for it and it comes pretty ready to run out of the box.  All it needs is an S&A mag well and maybe a fiber optic front sight.  Anyway, we only had time to put 30 rounds through it but our initial impressions were good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top