Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:48:25 PM EDT
I have a 10 year old Colt Commander model M1991A1. On the last round fired, from any of my

3 mags, the gun jams. The last round gets "hung-up" in the slide. Also, when the gun does fire,

spent brass occasionally hits me in the head. Gotta love Colt

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to take a stab at it here since nobody had replied yet.

Is it a failure to feed?

Are the magazines as old as the gun? You might start there first. Replace them or get some new springs.

Also, has this thing been sitting on the shelf for a long time? Or is it your regular shooter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Both problems sound like they're caused by insufficient extractor tension.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Same type of thing happened to me, and the problems were with the extractor.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm going to take a stab at it here since nobody had replied yet.

Is it a failure to feed?

Are the magazines as old as the gun? You might start there first. Replace them or get some new springs.

Also, has this thing been sitting on the shelf for a long time? Or is it your regular shooter.

Yes, a failure to feed.

The mags are not worn out. The mags and gun haven't had more than 500 rounds through them.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Same type of thing happened to me, and the problems were with the extractor.

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Both problems sound like they're caused by insufficient extractor tension.

Not to sound like an idiot, but what does this mean? How do I increase the tension? Anyone got a picture?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I would address this problem with any 1911 in the following order:

1. Mags. test with all available (borrow other brands) Replace with Wilson Combat mags.
2. Extractor: If you don't know about the tension, get a book & learn to DIY, or send it in to the manufacturer. Otherwise any competant gunsmith can adjust the tension, only you pay for it and turnaround is at least 2x as long as sending it to the manufacturer.
3. Slide stop
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You might try one of those rubber "O" ring things that Buffer Technologies sells.  Bushmaster has them too.  They slip around the extractor spring and increase extraction power.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You might try one of those rubber "O" ring things that Buffer Technologies sells.  Bushmaster has them too.  They slip around the extractor spring and increase extraction power.

Como se WHAT?

Flushdraw, if they are factory mags, Id dump them.

Field strip your slide, and clean out the extractor channel and firing pin channel completely (a .223 bore brush actually works well for this, along with q-tips).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help. I'm going to give her a good cleaning and probably replace or adjust the

extractor. I dumped all my factory mags years ago. Two are 8 round "shooting Stars" and my other

one is a Wilson Combat I believe.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
???

Extractor tension is adjusted buy bending the extractor a little bit at a time out side of the gun and trying it. Generally speaking if your extractor can hold a fired casing against the breachface you have the propper tension.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
???

Extractor tension is adjusted buy bending the extractor a little bit at a time out side of the gun and trying it. Generally speaking if your extractor can hold a fired casing loaded round against the breachface you have the proper tension.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top