Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:15:24 PM EDT
OK I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, looking to buy a nice 1911. I've narrowed my choices down to a Springfield TRP Operator or the regular TRP or the MC operator. I've shot the TRP operator and loved it, never seen the the regular TRP or the MC. Anyone have experience with either of them? Opinions?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the MC looks better than the full Operator.  The Operator looks like Robocop's gun.  I've got a TRP with about 1,500 rounds through it.  It works great but shoots a little low.  And, no, I'm not jerking the trigger.

Something to think about; if you buy a pistol with a light rail, it will not be legal for USPSA single stack.  The rules will more than likely change in the next year or two to allow the use of rail guns.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't own any of them.  But something about the TRP operator full lenth rail that is sexy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If I don't get one with the light rail  I know I'll regret it later. I like the looks of the MC but have only seen pics, it's cheaper too bonus! Is your gun Armory Koted or stainless? Just wondering how the Teflon finish holds up?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I don't get one with the light rail  I know I'll regret it later. I like the looks of the MC but have only seen pics, it's cheaper too bonus! Is your gun Armory Koted or stainless? Just wondering how the Teflon finish holds up?

My TRP is stainless.  From what I've seen here and on a couple other boards, the A-kote is a good finish.  

If you want a light rail, my vote would be for the MC.  It's lighter and less "clubby" than the Operator.  I had an Operator a few years ago and traded it.  It looked cool but was too chunky.

EDIT TO ADD:  Get an Operator and send it to Yost for his shortening and ball end mill cuts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My TRP is stainless.  From what I've seen here and on a couple other boards, the A-kote is a good finish.  

If you want a light rail, my vote would be for the MC.  It's lighter and less "clubby" than the Operator.  I had an Operator a few years ago and traded it.  It looked cool but was too chunky.

EDIT TO ADD:  Get an Operator and send it to Yost for his shortening and ball end mill cuts.

I'm leaning strongly towards the MC, it'll allow me to go ahead and get a Surefire for it also.  What is the ball end mill cuts and why are they important?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
get this instead:
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Or get a Kimber Warrior.  No non-standard extractor or oddball grip safety/firing pin block in the Warrior!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet S&W 1911 how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this gun going to be a carry gun? I f it is you might want to check out your holster options with the light rail first.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
My backwards state finally passed CCW so the new 1911 will be carried sometimes CCW so there goes the lightrail gun. Which leaves me with the TRP, TRP owners how tight are your guns? Do you need a bushing wrench to disassemble? What type of guide rod does it come with the original style or the 2 piece?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The three or four TRP's I've handled (including my own) are nice and snug with regard to frame and slide and barrel fit.  Mine doens't need a bushing wrench for takedown.  And mine came with a 2-piece guiderod.

If you get a TRP, you can have a Yost or Dawson rail installed and the pistol will still fit in most holsters.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Or get a Kimber Warrior.  No non-standard extractor or oddball grip safety/firing pin block in the Warrior!

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top