Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 6:58:37 PM EDT
Anybody here use Break-free to clean their bores?  I'm not one for believing in hard corrosive cleaners for bores and this is what I use.  It will lube, clean and preserve and that's what I like about it.  anyone else use it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Break-Free is good for cleaning but that's about it.  I'm not a huge believer in dual purpose cleaner/lubes.  By their design they eventually work against each other.  I found that Mpro-7 gun cleaner seems to work the best for me and lube with Militec or Rem oil.  A word of caution, when using Mpro-7 it can remove some of the natural finish from your wood grips.  Other than that it's all natural and works very well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
While you can use CLP as a bore cleaner, it really doesn't do anything for copper fouling.

There's a bit of a misunderstanding about CLP Breakfree.
The "C" part of it really refers to it's ability to keep fouling in the action soft.
When the action cycles, the soft fouling mixed with CLP is forced out of the way, and the parts can continue to function.

CLP can more or less function as an expedient bore cleaner in the M16 because the chrome lined bore doesn't allow metal fouling to adhere as well as a bare steel bore does.

You really need to use a copper solvent to clean most bores properly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#3]
CLP is a generic term, Breakfree is a brand name. Breakfree CLP is a very good product, but as dfariswheel noted, it's not a metal solvent. Breakfree is only about 20% cleaner, the rest is oil and rust inhibitor. If you have a chrome lined barrel it works great, if you don't you need a bore cleaner for copper and lead fouling.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 CLP

90% of the time it's a bore snake and break free.  If I see evidence of copper fouling, I'll use a solvent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
YMMV, but when I clean my bores I use Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner, as CLP is what I use for lube.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean the bore with Hoppes #9 (and maybe a more heavy duty bore cleaner if it's really fouled). And then I wipe all the rest of the parts of the pistol clean and dry with one of my semi-clean rags laying around. After that, I put some dabs or drops of oil in a few spots and reassemble it. That's all it takes. I tend to run my guns a little wetter, so when I clean them any powder residue has been absorbed and is easily wiped off. I save the CLP for lubrication of my AR parts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Break Free CLP a lot, but as many have noted something more substantial is often required for fowling. I use Gun Scruibber for that usually, plus a good brush of course.

One caveat with Break Free CLP, if you're counting on the lube, you really need to shake the hell out of the container (like a minute or more!) to get the settled teflon particles back into solution. That's what I've read anyway, and I do it every time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
All I ever use is CLP.

I got TW25B from work and tried it once - didn't like it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Break-Free CLP on all my pistols and rifles.  I start out with Hoppe's #9 and run a few swabs thru the bore then finish off with the CLP.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
guns aren't meant to be cleaned are they?   I just stick em back in the safe and let my magic gun fairies do there magic.  

I've got a friend that does that.  I looked down the barrel of his sporting clays over under and couldn't believe the pellets even made it out the barrel!  I don't think he's ever cleaned a gun in his life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top