Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 1:28:39 PM EDT
Hey All,
  I just sold my Glock 22 and now I want a 1911. I have been serously thinking about buying a Kimber Warrior. Can all of you who read this that have owned a 1911, or have shot several different brands, please tell me who makes the best quality 1911's. Is it Kimber, Para Ordnance, Springfield Armory, Wilson Combat or someone else. Please state good arguements as why one is better than another. Thanx in advance. -Bub-
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
its all in how much money you are willing to pay....

for under 1K, i would put my money for a Kimber, SW, SA (in that order)

near 2K: dont know--never spent that much....have heard great things about WC, STI, LB, and Nighthawk
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you've really included two classes of gun there and it's not fair to either to contrast the Kimber/Springfield with the Wilson Combat... Kimber and Springfield build quality mass produced guns, and Wilson builds hard-fit long term guns.

If you have, say an upper limit of $1200 or so, I'd say there's a Kimber, Para, Springfield or SIG 1911 out there that matches your needs. They're all pretty much built the same way (though I have a higher end Kimber and it's light-years ahead of my Paras in the finish department) and will have a similar longevity IMHO.

If you've got more than that you're looking at a Baer, Nighthawk Customs, or Wilson. Which is where I wish I was.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They are not all the same. Not by a long shot.

Kimber & SA for example use very good materials, but theie QC runs away with them as popular as they are. Colt is about the same, and it farms it's crap out to unknown contract workers. Don't even get me started with Para.

Forget the 1000-2000 envelope

Are you fucking around with this thing at the range, or are you carrying? I spent $800+ for the "ultimate carry 1911" from one of your companies a few years back. It wouldn't run right out of the box. I sent it in and sent it in and they relaced it and I sent it in and sent it in and no shit, they replaced that one and I sent it in...

Do you know how much it costs to send in a pistol these days? $40-$50 After all the ammo and shipping and time I spent getting this boat anchor to run right I was $50 ahead having bought a Wilson Combat in the first place.Having recently bought a Wilson Combat (and no, I don't get a WC worthy paycheck either) I understand the only way we can get a 1911 that lives up to JMB's vision:

1. Buy yourself a Colt/SA/Kimber then send it over to a competent smith (and further the MYTH that 1911s don't run right out of the box). The smith will act as the QC that these mass-produced companies have skipped or fallen behind with to keep up with the bottom line. OR if you were in the majority where you got one of their problem free pistols (which certainly happens more often than not) the smith whii clean it up for you.

2. Buy yourself a WC, Nighthawk, etc and get it all done the first time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Kimber. Or at least they used to be the best deal going, before the external extractors, firing pin safeties and shit. I havea series 1 Classic Custom. It is dead on and has never choked. The only things I've done is put a steel mainspring housing on it and some VZ grips. I had a series 1 Super match that was not as accurate and was picky about magazines. So it's gone. These days I think Springfield might be the best choice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Kimber Eclipse.  

Under $1K, Solid performer, very good accuracy, nice looking 1911.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheapest 1911 I would buy is a lightly used Les Baer or a Custom from a known manufacturer.  If you have less than 1200 dollars, get a Glock and save you pennies a little longer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Warrior and really like it.  But asking this question on this board is like asking "what's the best religion."  I've heard nothing but rave reviews on the Nighthawk custom's 1911's, but then you will have to sell your first born to afford one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like my Ed Brown Kobra Carry and Nighthawk GRP Recon...But then again, my Wife and I don't have kids yet...sooooo .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really like my Ed Brown Kobra Carry

There you have it. After years of lusting after Wilson, Les Baer, and other high-end makers... I stumbled on Ed Brown and if I could only have one 1911 it'd be and Ed Brown. That Kobra Karry knocks me out every time a see it. Love that gun...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cheapest 1911 I would buy is a lightly used Les Baer or a Custom from a known manufacturer.  If you have less than 1200 dollars, get a Glock and save you pennies a little longer.

I just don't get statements like this. Kimber, S&W, Springfield, etc put-out some very nice pistols for less than $1200. I hate Glocks. Aesthetics matter to some here (DUH... it's one of the 1911's strong points). I'd rather shoot and CARRY a box stock pistol from any of those makers than any tricked-out Glock on the planet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Kimber, Para, Wilson Combat, Springfield Armory, who makes the best 1911?    

Colt
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#12]
i have 2 springers, a loaded model and a ww2 GI model that i beat the crap out of, both run like champs.
only problem i had was with the GI and that was just because of the narow ejection port and it would pelt me in the face every so often with a empty case , a ejection port lower and flare fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can all of you who read this that have owned a 1911, or have shot several different brands, please tell me who makes the best quality 1911's. Is it Kimber, Para Ordnance, Springfield Armory, Wilson Combat or someone else. Please state good arguements as why one is better than another. Thanx in advance. -Bub-

Well, you forget what I consider the best 1911 produced today - the SW1911s.  They have something in your price ranges.  Under $1000 full size and Commander size Scandium frames.  Target models with adjustable sites.  And Performance Center models.

S&W Has hands down the best customer service.  And seemingly the fewest problems.  Just this week I was at a range and rented a Sig GSR.  Thing would not seat a round.  It was dirty.  So I traded it for a SW1911 Target model.  Thing was filthy too.  But it worked.

I have "several" 1911s.  Except for my Colt Gold Cup, they are all SW1911s.

Do some research over on the 1911 Forums
and read owners comments on Kimbers and SA vs the S&W owners.  I think you will find what I say is true.

James
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the Ed Brown more than the rest I have shot.  The RRA, Wilson, Bear, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Yo Bo, seem to be the top of the hill.  If there are better 1911s out there cost and finding one is going to be hard.  I also have a Colt and Kimber.  They are about = in my book.  The S&W look kinda funny with the EE and the BIG word on the side of the slide.  I have herd good things about them though. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W IS A GOOD ALL AROUND 1911 FOR LESS THAN 800.00 YOU CANT BEAT IT
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Any of the "semi-customs" are going to be a much better gun, and are actually a pretty good deal money-wise when you compare them to buying a Kimber/SA and replacing all the MIM parts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
as others have said it comes down to price ranges. in the 1000-1500 range you should be able to find a real nice used les baer or similar and it will serve you well.
in the 600-1000 range the older kimbers, colt gold cups and springfield customs should get your attention
in the bottom range- 350-600 you can often find some great guns- I have had a sistema (surplus colt liscenced copy built in argentina) that for 300 ran like a top. Also you can sometimes find a colt 1991A1 around at least in my neck of the woods for under 500. I recently had one that functioned perfectly and all the flap about the series 80 trigger- it felt ok to me and I am an experienced bullseye shooter used to 2.5# triggers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top