Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 10:33:30 PM EDT
well i am getting ready to buy my first handgun and it is going to be a 1911...the big question is with a rail or with out..the two choices i am looking at are completely different...the choices are stainless SA TRP with wood grips or kimber warrior. they are around the same price. maybe someone with some experience can chime in and let me know some ups and downs... its mainly going to be for carry and punching paper
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Railless, because you will not want to carry it with the rail on, which means you have to get a handheld and lear the harries flashlight technique anyway, so the rail is unecessary. If you were only going to carry it in a drop leg holster or leave it on a nightstand, then a rail is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Desert Warrior and a Springfield Loaded. Like them both a lot, but rarely carry the Kimber so far, as my Versa Max 2 is not here yet. That may change when it does.

Between the two you've listed, I'd pick the TRP hands dow. It is a bit more high end than the Warrior (also lists at about $350 more, so if the prices are similar, either you're getting a killer deal on the TRP, or a horrible deal on the Warrior).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Without.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Wilson makes a cqb with removeable light rail it's a good way to go, but Wilson's aren't cheap. I have one and the m6 laser light even fits tighter on the rail than it does on my other 1911 with fixed rail.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on w/o rail for carry. Plus the TRP is sweetness.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If it is a carry piece, you will find more holsters for the non-railed frames.  Meaning, better chance of finding one that fits you without going custom.

If it was a bed/home defense gun, then a rail with a light/laser would be appropriate, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not buy one gun for both? It seems to me the removable rail Wilson is the answer. It is cheaper to buy a holster than two guns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
My buddy just went through this same dilemma. I had been beating the TRP drum because I really like that pistol. But the Warrior is awesome for sure and I changed my recommendation to it because I have read reviews from shooters who think the checkering on the TRP is overdone and can rub you raw after an afternoon of shooting. I've always liked checkering, but that made me rethink it and I realized that my full-size 1911 has no checkering and I have NO problems holding onto it. Checkered grips are probably plenty of grip for most situations. So I reversed my recommendation and I think he's going with the Warrior instead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have to dissent.I have owned the TRP and a warrior, The warrior is hands down the better weapon.
It did not have the fitting problems the springfield had, and the warrior is devoid of sharp edges, the TRP needed a thourough stoning to break the sharp edges on about every surface.
The springfied TRP has a crappy barrel and while capable of good accuracy the sights a noutouriosly not regulated to point of aim elevation wise being off a metter of feet sometimes.
Mine was off 18 inches a 25 yards!
The customer service is OK, I would have preferred they paid for the gun to ship back as the sights are a known problem.

The warrior also has a true GI plug, a very nice kings style ambi safety and a well fityted barrel and bushing. The rail is a bonus, you don't notice it in a quality holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top