Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 5:01:46 AM EDT
good day 1911 enthusiasts,
im looking into reorganizing my handguns a little, basicaly im tryin to have one representitive of all major modern designs (well not all of em, but all of the ones i realy like) in each commonly used/manufactured caliber. im now saving for a 1911 in 9mm..who makes the best one? why do you think its the best 9mm 1911? are there any potential issues to be aware of w/ 9mm 1911s? its not for carry so sophistication and aesthetics are of more value to me than absolute reliability.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
STI Trojan 9mm

While I've never fired one, the ones I have handled were built VERY nicely, with extensive fitting throughout. A good freind of mine, a gunsmith, it very familiar with the company and their manufacturing facility - he's very impressed with everything about their operation. I'm not sure but I believe there are ZERO MIM parts in STI's pistols (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong). The standard "slim" grips that come with the pistol fit my hand great. The standard sights for the Trojan are adjustable, which should suit your needs just fine.

I plan to but one of the Trojan .45s when I get back to the States - without getting into some of the super customs, I don't believe there is a finer 1911 out there.

Hope this helps.

53Vortec
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
the only issue is with the magazines. Some say that 1911 38 super magazines work flawlessly. My Caspian/Springfield model will only run with dedicated 9mm mags with the spacer. Metalforms are nice mags.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
53 vortec, that was real helpfull..they are indeed very nice lloking pistols and the non MIM parts is omething i would definately pay more for. i think im actualy gonna buy an STI...in addition to already building what i want its an STI, not the one of the bazillion cookie cutter 1911 makers. Where are you now thats not the states?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
53 vortec, that was real helpfull..they are indeed very nice lloking pistols and the non MIM parts is omething i would definately pay more for. i think im actualy gonna buy an STI...in addition to already building what i want its an STI, not the one of the bazillion cookie cutter 1911 makers. Where are you now thats not the states?

Glad you found it useful. The STI single stacks seem to be real sleepers in the 1911 industry. They do stand out, and Texas logo is a bonus (for me anyways!) . My friend who toured their facility in Georgetown was amazed at the attention to detail and quality of the entire production staff.

If you're going to get one, check with Brazos Custom Gunworks. I talked to them a while back, very helpful. They're an STI distributor, and they will give your pistol a full inspection before shipping it to your FFL. Their prices are pretty good, too.

As for me, I'm currentley in Iraq.

-53Vortec
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
well vortec, first off thanks for working in iraq. much respect for putting yourself in harms way so i dont have too.  also thanks for the link...better prices than what my guy said he could do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The STI Duty 1 in 9mm is another good one to look at ( I carry the same in 45 - on top). The new Duty models come with the short rail and round trigger guard (for holster simplicity).

dsgarms.com/images/products/dutyones.jpg

The Ranger II (commander size) in 9mm is another good one. Or my wife has the little LS9.

How do y'all like the LS9? I was looking the LS9/LS40 pistols as backup or summer carry option.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top