Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 2:55:38 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a 1911.. it will be my first pistol actually but my brother owns 4-5 so I am pretty familiar with pistols. Where do I start? Is there a single pistol that is basically a good start off gun where I can build onto and upgrade as I get more familiar with the weapon? What would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
SA 1911-A1 mil-spec would be a good base pistol if you plan on building on it....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The SA is a great gun how ever I am a Colt fan.  I think that the Colt Series 80 guns would be great for what yuo are looking for.  If you want to spend a little more monney you can go for the Series 70 reissue.  There is also the option of the origional 70 Series guns.  

It all depends on how much you want to spend.  The is on the low end of the spectrum and the new 70 Series is on the high end.  All are great guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
How are the Kimbers? My friend has one and love it.

Also I have heard 1911's dont shoot too well from the factory.. is this true?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How are the Kimbers? My friend has one and love it.

Also I have heard 1911's dont shoot too well from the factory.. is this true?

the basic Kimber Custom II is like a loaded SA.....its already got basic mods; so if you want to build one up, i'd get a cheaper one to build up on, but you can improve on the higher ends too, just more $$$s
of course, having more than 1 1911 is good anyways.

they are good guns though--h/w, the new (or old, since its being replaced) external extractors have been giving some problems

i have an older Kimber TLE w/ internal extractor, its been 100% reliable --over 500rnds by me(cant say out the box b/c i got it used)

h/w, my SW 1911PD w/ an external extractor has also been 100% (only ~200rnds), so dont think that external extractors are bad--some say SW's EE is better b/c its got more a longer pivot point

basically, its all on the gun you get--no brand of gun is 100% from the factory--you have to tune em and run em through thier paces to find out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top