Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
If you had enough money for both, just sitting around, which would you choose and why?
Also, please assume that the Warrior and TRP look like they do in the pictures below.

(*Note: Simmionich Gunner Grips)

The TRP has some extra features;
-Adjustable Night Sights
-20 LPI Front Strap Checkering
-Magazine Well
-Bull Barrel without bushing
-Full Length Guide Rod

Warrior
-KimPro finish
-Tradition features like; short guide rod, lanyard loop

To me, and please correct me if I am wrong, the Warrior seems like a military style combat handgun. The TRP Operator seems more like a competition pistol. Is this a correct assumption?

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned both and still own the Warrior.  The only thing that I wish the warrior had was a 20 or 25 lpi checkered frontstrap from the factory.  The Operator just had a lot of things that made it for of a target pistol like you say.  It has the ADJ sights, bull barrel and is a few ounces heavier.  I sold my TRP operator in order to pay for my Warrior.  Neither pistol had/has any reliability problems and they or/were both plenty accurate for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Warrior.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have owned both and still own the Warrior.  The only thing that I wish the warrior had was a 20 or 25 lpi checkered frontstrap from the factory.  The Operator just had a lot of things that made it for of a target pistol like you say.  It has the ADJ sights, bull barrel and is a few ounces heavier.  I sold my TRP operator in order to pay for my Warrior.  Neither pistol had/has any reliability problems and they or/were both plenty accurate for me.

Can you tell some more on why you sold your TRP Operator for your Warrior?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with the Operator. I've got 2 Springfields and 2 Kimbers. I like them all. I just like the way the TRP's set up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd take the TRP Operator, but I want the old one with the full-length rail.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Warrior. I looked at the TRP Operator last week and I think the front strap checkering is too sharp.
It seemed alot sharper than the checkering on the TLE that I looked at.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd go with the Operator. I've got 2 Springfields and 2 Kimbers. I like them all. I just like the way the TRP's set up.

Basically I liked the fixed sights and more tradational features of the Warrior.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you would be better off comparing the Warrior and the MC Operator. Yes, My vote would be for the MC Operator.

D.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Operator, although I would not turn my nose up at the Warrior!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]
K
I am a fan of Colt and S/A
I have sold my Kimbers, the only Kimber I would buy would be the Warrior as it doesn't have the external extractor.

I have a Loaded Operator, it has a full length rail and I LOVE it!

I looked at the TRP Operator and do not understand putting adj. sights on what is supposed to be a combat gun, first time you try to rack the slide back really quick you will rip up your hand good with that.  Also, I wouldn't trust adj sights on this type of pistol as if you drop it the sights very well may go out of alignment a bit.

I looked long and hard to find the loaded operator, got a great deal and would do it all over again.  I passed on many warriors to get the loaded operator.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
warrior the bull barrel is a no go!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Operator.

I'm sure the Warrior is a great pistol, I just find the Operator more appealing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Operator.  The bushingless bull barrel is a GO.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Warrior

the only thing its missing is front strap checkering
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
K
I am a fan of Colt and S/A
I have sold my Kimbers, the only Kimber I would buy would be the Warrior as it doesn't have the external extractor.

I have a Loaded Operator, it has a full length rail and I LOVE it!

I looked at the TRP Operator and do not understand putting adj. sights on what is supposed to be a combat gun, first time you try to rack the slide back really quick you will rip up your hand good with that.  Also, I wouldn't trust adj sights on this type of pistol as if you drop it the sights very well may go out of alignment a bit.

I looked long and hard to find the loaded operator, got a great deal and would do it all over again.  I passed on many warriors to get the loaded operator.

I think Kimber is no longer making any with the external extractors.  Maybe they saw the light. (or maybe they got tired of fixing ones with the externals.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Warrior

the only thing its missing is front strap checkering

I agree.  I was going to send back mine to have this done but is was going to cost way to much to have it refinished after.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go with the second on from the left in the case (Black).  If your choices are between the Warrior vs TRP, I'd go with the Warrior.  For an out of the box gun, Kimbers have some of the best slide to frame fit and accuracy out there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think Kimber is no longer making any with the external extractors.  Maybe they saw the light. (or maybe they got tired of fixing ones with the externals.)

I spoke with Kimber about this. They said that they are trying to fill too many contracts that do not want the external extractor, so they have swithed the production over to internal only. They claim this is quite possibly temporary. Who knows?

As for the gun question, I would go with the Warrior. It has everything I would want in a 1911 except for front strap checkering. I feel the TRP is just to daggum sharp. I prefer the 30lpi on my Kimber Tactical.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Flip a coin :)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Warrior.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, you did you "if you had enough money for both"......
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#23]
definitely a TRP (or Operator) over any Kimber.  i've had reliability issues with Kimbers.  i also prefer the looks, features, and styling of most SA guns over any other mass produced 1911 brand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Warrior

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top